BATAAN more summer music

captainplanetcaptainplanet 626 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
LINCOLN CENTER - OUT-OF-DOORS @ DAMROSCH PARK - Sunday, August 12, 2007 - Free - 8:00 - 10:00 PM. The Joe Bataan Band and Son Boricua featuring Jimmy Sabater and Jose Mangual Jr.[/b] plus surprise guests. vibes player was next levelgot there late cause I had a gig in the afternoon, but it was still so good to see the ordinary guy in person. a good friend of mine is doing a lil video feature on him for wax po, so she introduced us briefly. anybody else there? I heard his daughter (pussycat dolls finalist or something) came out and tried to do one of her r&b pop joints and it didn't go down too well).

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Was it better than the Dumbo show? I heard that turned out to be kind of terrible.

Joe's take on it was hilarious though:

"Yeah, I did this show in Brooklyn...where was it, by the bridge?"

"Down by the Manhattan Bridge, Dumbo?"

"Yeah, Dumbo [laughs]. A lot of, what do they call it? Hippies? They came out."

"You mean hipsters?"

"Yeah, hipsters. I guess I'm playing big to the whites and Orientals these days."

• Was it better than the Dumbo show? I heard that turned out to be kind of terrible.

Joe's take on it was hilarious though:

"Yeah, I did this show in Brooklyn...where was it, by the bridge?"

"Down by the Manhattan Bridge, Dumbo?"

"Yeah, Dumbo [laughs]. A lot of, what do they call it? Hippies? They came out."

"You mean hipsters?"

"Yeah, hipsters. I guess I'm playing big to the whites and Orientals these days."

haha, the oriental hippies. nah, it was a very different scene I imagine. The Lincoln Center gigs bring out a lot more old school uptown heads. I saw a lot of puerto ricans. not too many white/oriental/hippies. But he was really getting down with the (xian) devotional slow jams, which I didn't expect.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

vibes player was next level

I forget his real name but they call him "Draculita." He's one of the original members of the Joe Cuba Sextet, needless to say he's very, very talented.

What real heads want to know is, how was JIMMY SABATER?! What did he sing?

I was real dissapointed when he didn't sing with Joe Cuba at Prospect Park.

• What real heads want to know is, how was JIMMY SABATER?! What did he sing?

"Dracullita" is right. Definitely just emerged from a cave. I was thinking more like a skinny Igor, but any extended member of the Adam's family would be fitting.

shamefully, I arrived too late to see Sabater. the theme of the night was 60's boogaloo, if that helps you imagine the playlist.