earthquake-proofing record cabinets

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I'm a little.... uhm, shook about earthquakes. What's the best way to secure a 4x4 expedit? So they're less likely to fall over (wall anchors?) and records less likely to fall out of it. Are there any kits out there to buy?

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i had a shelf full of records when the big 7 hit the bay area and none of them flew, fell, or shifted from their place on the shelf.

you can do two things though that ive thought about. you can either get some cabinet doors and drill them into your expedit or you can just get some of those screws with the round hook on the end and use bungie cords.

or you can get an L-bracket and attach it to the wall. get some 1" or 2" screws and lock it in.

has anyone in earthquake country have record shelves fall apart during an earthquake?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    You should be able just anchor it into your studs or drywall using a product made for anchoring into drywall/studs. You will need the longer anchors/screws since you are going into the expedit then into your drywall. If want what the professionals use, then try simpson: http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalog/mechanical/index.html

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm a little.... uhm, shook about earthquakes.

What's the best way to secure a 4x4 expedit? So they're less likely to fall over (wall anchors?) and records less likely to fall out of it.
    Are there any kits out there to buy?

There was a frontpage article in the paper here saying where I live will be ground zero for "The Big One". I hope they're just trying to sell papers by scaring the shit outta people...

That said, I had the same thoughts myself about my shelves falling. I don't know how much bolting them to the wall will help keep the records from still falling out of them. Maybe just slow it down a bit and keep them from being crushed by the shelves.

I've resigned myself to the fact that some things are gonna get broken in here.

• I just used the anchoring hardware that the expedit comes with. Before I did that it felt like I could have tipped the whole shelf over with a sturdy nudge. With the shelf bracketed to a sturdy piece of wall there's no way the thing will tip now, unless we get hit with a 9.0 or something, in which case everything is going to get destroyed anyway.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    In addition to anchors, consider making something to barracade the LPs and keep them on the shelves. Something as simple as rope strung across either side and lined up with the middle of each cubicle. Or more elaborate, with bars of wood or steel made to match the shelving.