Bad Boy Bubby Appreciation Thread

mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
One of the craziest movies I've seen in a while.

"Australian cult movie about the adventures of 'Bubby' a 35yr old man encountering the outside world for the first time after having spent his entire life locked up in a flat by his abusive mother. Bubby is a difficult film to describe being an erratic mixture of black comedy, tragedy and modern day adventure. Although hysterically funny in places the director likes to pull the rug from under your feet when its getting too much fun and let the mood of the film become much darker and more poignant."

A quote from some guy on IMDB:

"I can't find sentences to describe how I feel about this film. But I can find words.

Horrible, horrifying, disturbing, hilarious, revolting, true, repulsive, gross, engrossing, sickening, uplifting, engaging, vile, tender, redemptive and thoroughly, completely, utterly fascinating."

If you havent peeped this, you need to find yourself a copy of the DVD/VHS/download it/steal it/whatever, as long as you get to see it! It will make you laugh so hard you'll miss parts of the dialouge, and it will melt your mind at the same time, you'll seriously shit blood for weeks. A real masterpiece!

Anyone else feeling it?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    It was a lot better then I expected. From reading the back I thought dude was going to be a crazy psycho killer . And I guess he was but with understandible motives. I loved when he started singing for the band.

• Voms72Voms72 18 Posts
    Yeah Mcdee, personally I think it is one of the most brilliant and original Australian films out there but def an awkward watch though. You should catch a wiff of this also if you haven't already Mcdee...great stuff.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    Yeah Mcdee, personally I think it is one of the most brilliant and original Australian films out there but def an awkward watch though. You should catch a wiff of this also if you haven't already Mcdee...great stuff.

Never heard of it before, thanks for the tip. Saw the comments on IMDB, it seems like a solid watch. Im gonna try to pick up the DVD!!

Are there any other Australian movies worth checking for?

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    Bad Boy Bubby

You need to watch that film on some home cinema surround sound shit.
    They recorded the sound by hiding microphones on each side of his head under his Phil Spector do.
    so when you hear that film in proper stereo it's twice as fucked up

I always seem to see Australian films on TV (UK) veeeery late, i'm always fucked & can never remember what they were. the best ones seem to have that guy who was Joe Mangel in Neighbours.

and dont get me started on Cell Block H

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    oz movies worth ckecking out (do a search on IMDB for descriptions as i am lazy)

Bondi Tsunami
    Somersault
    Two hands
    Rabbit Proof fence
    Romper Stomper (russell crowe as a skinhead wasn't much of a stretch for russ to do this role)
    Dogs in Space (set in melbourne music scene in late 70's michael hutchence playing a junkie muso )
    Shine
    These are the ones that come to mind

• Voms72Voms72 18 Posts
    and dont get me started on Cell Block H

"Don???t front on the front"

Also check
    The Chant Of Jimmy Blacksmith ( most early Peter Weir films)
    Man From Hong Kong (first Golden Harvest filmed outside of HK)
    Proof
    Lantana
    The Boys.......