NY77

RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Man this vh1 show is hot... the lights went out in NY in 1977 and Caz went and stole a mixer... Dj Disco Wiz said that the day after the lights went out in NY, mad crews came out with banging systems...I have been drinking beer... there is some boxing on HBO tonight... I love boxing...

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    The lights went out & looting began. 77 no aids so there was alot of wild sex and orgies.. Disco became mainstream along with punk rock

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• chasechase 767 Posts
    cool show, I missed the last hour or so... looking for the repeat

VH1 is all about the 30 somethings now

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    cool show, I missed the last hour or so... looking for the repeat

VH1 is all about the 30 somethings now

I think that was the original purpose (with MTV being the "teen"/twenty channel).

I finally caught the doc. Very good

Punk/Hip Hop/Disco....yes.

Caz got stories.

I missed the Blackout. My mom took my sis and I to Chicago & Cali that summer.
    The night we got back the 11:00 news announced the capture of Berkowitz.
    dude worked in the Post Office on 149f st near me. right xcross from the Writer's Bench.

I find it funny that most of the score for the doc was classic break joints when most of the city was still disconnected to what was happening in Hip Hop.
    Mayor Koch wasnt listening to Mardi Gras w/out the bells...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    with the exception of "inside man",i'm always entertained by spike lee's movies even if they're horrible. i remember seeing this and the whole theatre started laughing when berkowitz's dog began talking. i felt a little embarresed to be watching it.

i'm always entertained by spike lee's movies even if they're horrible.

u sound white

• word..gotta rep for the year and the city I was born in..iht!

• just saw this the other day. It was great. So far the VH1 Rock Docs have all been really well done (at least the ones I've seen). NY77 was putting together really well and had an Ego Trip look to it. The credits rolled by so fast, so I didn't see if any of those guys were involved, but it had a cool pop art/cut and paste/black and white with color splashes thing going on.

I don't know how true that is about the black out being the cause of the surge in dj crews, but if so, that is amazing. Who knew a power outage could help ignite a billion dollar industry. I liked KRS One's quote. "I was watching Bewitched and the lights went out."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Man this vh1 show is hot... the lights went out in NY in 1977 and Caz went and stole a mixer... Dj Disco Wiz said that the day after the lights went out in NY, mad crews came out with banging systems...

I have been drinking beer... there is some boxing on HBO tonight... I love boxing...

I've just finished that Peter Shapiro book, "Turn The Beat Around", and he mentions how a lot of uptown crews used the blackout as a means of significantly upgrading their shit.

• Man this vh1 show is hot... the lights went out in NY in 1977 and Caz went and stole a mixer... Dj Disco Wiz said that the day after the lights went out in NY, mad crews came out with banging systems...

I have been drinking beer... there is some boxing on HBO tonight... I love boxing...

I've just finished that Peter Shapiro book, "Turn The Beat Around", and he mentions how a lot of uptown crews used the blackout as a means of significantly upgrading their shit.

Fantastic book...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Man this vh1 show is hot... the lights went out in NY in 1977 and Caz went and stole a mixer... Dj Disco Wiz said that the day after the lights went out in NY, mad crews came out with banging systems...

Fantastic book...

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I never knew Keith Forsey played drums for Amon Duul II - there's an interesting "six degrees" or two to be had there.

• SHIT! How did I somehow miss this one? Sounds great.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Fantastic book...

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I never knew Keith Forsey played drums for Amon Duul II - there's an interesting "six degrees" or two to be had there.

Maybe I need to try that one again....I never finished it. But that could be because of two things - I had just read Mel Cheren's book, Bill Brewster's book, and some other book revolving around the same thing - shit which was that? But yea - I sorta felt like it was all the same themes over and over - so I put it down. In case you guys haven't read those two books....they're both fucking off the hook, regardless of all the somewhat graphic man-on-man action described by Cheren at the beginning of every chapter which just gets funny after a certain point.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This was good, KRS seemed surprisingly not crazy on this.

• bringing books up in the VH1 thread...

great historical context. hit up the first chapter for the 1977 info. could not put this down.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Fantastic book...

Agreed. Really makes you appreciate how pioneering a lot of those early DJs were.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Any one know where I can find this online? All I can seem to find is a pay torrent.