I don't get trophies, I get checks.

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
50 Cent Promises to Outsell Kanye Or Retire, Jay-Z says its a Fantastic thing for (def jam) HIP HOP.[/b]Hip-hop star 50 Cent has vowed to outsell his rival Kanye West when their albums hit stores on the same day -- or quit his rap career.Both 50 Cent and West are releasing their new albums, Curtis and Graduation respectively, on September 11.50 Cent, real name Curtis Jackson, challenged West to a live TV debate to determine who has the better album, but the "Gold Digger" hitmaker turned him down.Jackson tells the New York Daily News, "Let's raise the stakes. If Kanye West sells more records than 50 Cent on September 11, I'll no longer (perform) music. I'll write music and work with my other artists, but I won't put out any more solo albums."They would like to see Kanye West give me a problem because I've worked myself into a space where I've become the favorite. Everybody roots (for) the underdog when he goes against the favorite."And I bet this: When Kanye West's sales come in, he's gonna have a 70 percent decrease cause Def Jam is gonna buy records (the first week) to keep him closer to 50 Cent. So watch the first week and then watch the second week. Watch his ass drop off the planet."Jackson's last album The Massacre sold 4.85 million copies in the U.S., while West's most recent disc, Late Registration, sold 2.8 million.Jackson admits he doesn't mind if West beats him when it comes to industry accolades, because he's making more money: "I didn't get one trophy for The Massacre. I don't get trophies, I get checks. He gets the trophies. And I'll be sitting here like, 'It's cool 'cause I get the check.'"Here is Jay-Z's responce:http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1565902/20070730/index.jhtmlHas this already been discussed?Is it good news if there is no more 50 or bad news because Kanye won't be out sold??I don't ride for either, I just thought maybe some of you would have some valuable (possibly comical) opinions on the matter.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Kanye West will outsell 50.

btw, what percent of album sales are now digital? (roughly)

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    thats a good question.

So you think they will up sales or fair and square?

I dunno about Kanye beating out 50. Its seems like apples and oranges to me so I don't really know where the comparison or competition comes from anyways. Are they after the same audience? I guess I didn't know. Nobody I know goes out to buy cds anymore so the digital thing would have to be in play. It just seems like random
    (publicity based) beefing....neither really has much to do with the other right?

Unless they have been battling for years and I just wasnt up on it??

But again, its not like they have the same style or verbage so I don't really know why its a big deal, other than publicity and uping release day sales, or trying to.

Last efforts by media moguls and record execs to keep physical albums in the buyers hands?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I don't really know where the comparison or competition comes from

$

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When did this become an official RIVALRY?