Dewarping 45s

kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I already accidentally posted this in the sales section but if anyone knows how to succesfully dewarp a vinyl 45 without elongating the grooves, I'd like to know how to do it. Found local raer today and I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to flatten it.

Comments

• Just to clarify, I know how to flatten out 45 warps. The issue for me in doing it is that the groove is a little bit off after flattening, so the cartridge tends to jerk side to side (no ayo) on the record. Sometimes they still sound OK and sometimes it fucks up the record, at least for the two or three 45s I've done trials with.

• I would imagine that's just a result of the imperfect method of heating over the entire record rather than just the edges? I don't know. It would be cool if they could make a flattener for 45s though.

I've flattened a couple LPs where for no reason the groove got elongated. Sometimes certain warps just behave weirdly. I would say try it and report back.

• If the record was heavily warped, I guess flattenung it will always result in the grooves having that effect?
    Maybe heating it faster wuld do the trick or maybe even heating it even slower?
    Dunno. But if you dont know how to do it, ust leave it at that I guess. Just 'till you find some article that shows you how to do it the correct way. Would hate to see a raer go down the garbage can. Any 1's..