STEVE PARKS

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
What's the deal on this guy? Is he "modern soul" or is he a bluesy throwback like Z.Z. Hill?The reason I ask is because he recorded for Solid Smoke, a late '70s-early '80s label primarily known for rockabilly/R&B reissues (plus a new wave-ish subsidiary, War Bride)...the only current-day artists on Solid Smoke proper that I knew of were the Velons (retro-soul vocal group ala the Persuasions) or Roy Loney (roots-rocker who used to be in the Flamin' Groovies). Did Steve Parks have that same retro slant, or was he supposed to be Solid Smoke's answer to Peabo Bryson?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    its more a modern soul thing if your talking about his Movin' in the Right Direction album

not too 80's synthy though, actually a very well done album that I highly recommend

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    its more a modern soul thing if your talking about his Movin' in the Right Direction album

exactly, thats the one

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's "modern soul", but not terrible.

• same dude right, on reynolds? love this, need to upgrade

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

are you insinuating that modern soul = terrible

don't make me ruin your sweater vest with my jheri-style fury

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

same dude right, on reynolds? love this, need to upgrade

same guy, same voice, more modern sounding music though

• same dude right, on reynolds? love this, need to upgrade

same guy, same voice, more modern sounding music though

sip of the juice? me and young most were just talkn about that moder lp this morning en route to our play date.

• Steve Parks' "Still Thinking Of You" single on Reynolds is one of the best soul 45s I've heard.

The LP on Solid Smoke is somewhat unique in that it's one of the only original releases on a reissue label (not mentioned but they also released a comp of early Van Dykes work) but I wouldn't say it's out of character. Torres can confirm but I believe dealer Rico T was involved in the label so soul/R&B would definitely be the slant.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

that was very nice.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sip of the juice? me and young most were just talkn about that moder lp this morning en route to our play date.

I feel slighted cause moist never tried to wine and/or dine me.

maybe some time this weekend I'll hook the ol' turntable up to the computer and record a few of the tracks

DUDE NOT TERRIBLE WAS A COMPLIMENT

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

DUDE NOT TERRIBLE WAS A COMPLIMENT

I will merk your 70/30 wool-rayon blend with no shame

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Steve Parks' "Still Thinking Of You" single on Reynolds is one of the best soul 45s I've heard.

I am actually beginning to understand how this activator core soul could sneak up on one. There have been a couple things that I frightened myself by liking. It's like some frothy pink drink with pineapple garnish - you know you look ultra gay drinking it but it's so sweet.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

me and undertheradar were goin' on about that song last night at the gig, and how it is one of the most unfuckwittable songs evar. It's so damn slow and sappy, but it still gets the big

• I can never overplay it. The more I play it, the better it sounds. On a side note, isn't there another piece of sweetness that's scratching my head right now on the Reynolds label. Not Steve Parks but also worthy of mention. Requesting more info on the Reynolds history or California? I'd like to know more about the root of what it is I like to play.

• same guy, same voice

good song though (the Reynolds 45)

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    On a side note, isn't there another piece of sweetness that's scratching my head right now on the Reynolds label. Not Steve Parks but also worthy of mention. Requesting more info on the Reynolds history or California?

Probably not what you're thinking of, but Steve Marshall is great too.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The LP on Solid Smoke is somewhat unique in that it's one of the only original releases on a reissue label (not mentioned but they also released a comp of early Van Dykes work) but I wouldn't say it's out of character. Torres can confirm but I believe dealer Rico T was involved in the label so soul/R&B would definitely be the slant.

I first knew about the label through the Steve Parks so I was kinda bugged out when I saw a Manhattans LP on Solid smoke I thought I came across some early release or something. Paid semi-hefty for it too

now I see copies on ebay for $4 but at least the music is unfuckwitable

• no. If I recall, she sounds female but Steve Marshall is good, too.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    rico and his partner marty ran solid smoke. they put steve out after he had a little issue with the reynolds owner.

the reynolds female record is celeste hardie that jesse/kidinquisitve has on ebay right now.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Steve Parks' "Still Thinking Of You" single on Reynolds is one of the best soul 45s I've heard.

Double

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    rico and his partner marty ran solid smoke. they put steve out after he had a little issue with the reynolds owner.

the reynolds female record is celeste hardie that jesse/kidinquisitve has on ebay right now.

or it could be lillian alexander...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I can never overplay it. The more I play it, the better it sounds.

I'm guilty of playing this song 5-10 times in a row

• I can never overplay it. The more I play it, the better it sounds.

I'm guilty of playing this song 5-10 times in a row

Still sounds as fresh as it did when I first heard it. The first day I heard it, I probably listened to it 10 to 20 times in a row.

• I just listened to this song 50 times in a row! Backwards!

But for real though, I'm ashamed to admit I do not own Still Thinking Of You. Been meaning to get one for a year-plus now.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Florian Keller played this as the last song at a gig I did with him in Germany. Hearing this drunk with the sun coming up in another country was surreal.

That said - I need that Moving in the Right Direction album forrilla

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just listened to this song 50 times in a row! Backwards!

But for real though, I'm ashamed to admit I do not own Still Thinking Of You. Been meaning to get one for a year-plus now.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I just listened to this song 50 times in a row! Backwards!

It's expensive. No shame in not owning it. If anyone has a copy for 40 or less, PM me. Otherwise, I'm content to listen to this (and Boscoe and the Lee Moses comp, etc.) on mp3 for the rest of my days.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I first knew about the label through the Steve Parks so I was kinda bugged out when I saw a Manhattans LP on Solid smoke I thought I came across some early release or something.

The first copy I heard/owned of the James Brown "Live at the Apollo 1963"
    album was the Solid Smoke reissue, which was my Dad's. When I got older
    and found the OG, it was like the holy grail to me.