I'm a little dude

VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I have raers on my ipod. That's right. I'm 35 years old, and I have a nice record collection. I have some pristine condition Lonnie Smith records, I have some beautiful Melvin Sparks sides and I got like every LP put out by War, not to mention its side projects. I have OG Black Jazz records and TICO, Fania and Allegres. Blue Notes, Prestiges and Riversides. I got Italian disco 12s and Indiana Funk 45s. I have on vinyl a whole bunch of repressed mixes and compilations of far raerer records. And I wish I could hire some kid who wants to break into conservative journalism to put them all on my computer. In the meantime, I check Oliver's site all the time, along with Larry's crazy good site (the funky 16corners), not to mention earfuzz, moistworks, captain's quarters etc.. More recently I have been picking orgyinrhythm and killergroove clean. I download the record and the cover art and when the bit rate's right, well it feels like I have the whole record in my ipod. Here's the thing. I was never in this for the investment. I was in it for the music. I love music. I love blazing conga rhythms under new interpretations of beatles songs, I love Leroy Hutson produced soul harmonies, I love Michael McDonald's voice underneath Donald Fagan's, I love rappers who can rhyme whole phrases, I love almost any version I've ever heard of Oye Como Va, I am starting to love Japanese dancefloor fusion (after thinking that liking such a thing was an impossibility). If I had unlimited funds, time and space, I would get my very own copy of that Webster Lewis record in Oslo. I would keep acquiring records and display them in a wood paneled library with a common area fitted with leather couches and smokeless bongs. I would hire librarians to catalogue that shit with the dewey decimal. And I would have all my friends come over for listening sessions and serve them fresh yellowtail prepared by own personal Sushi Chef. But I live in this world. My new place really only fits one Expedit. I had to trim a lot of stuff for storage. One soulstrutter bought some of the records that did not make the cut. I'm going back to Iraq in October for a few months and my ipod is one of the few links to sanity and calm over there. For my next party, it's going to be playlisted with mp3s. I respect all you ballers. I definitely respect the DJs who pre-select the great stuff for the rest of us. I do. But I am not one of you. I am a little dude with raers on his ipod.

Comments

• I have...Indiana Funk 45s.

Which ones?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    by the looks of it, you're medium raer by now. welcome to the little dude club. it always was and will always be about the music.

• And I wish I could hire some kid who wants to break into conservative journalism to put them all on my computer. In the meantime, I check Oliver's site all the time, along with Larry's crazy good site (the funky 16corners), not to mention earfuzz, moistworks, captain's quarters etc.. More recently I have been picking orgyinrhythm and killergroove clean. I download the record and the cover art and when the bit rate's right, well it feels like I have the whole record in my ipod.

WOW! Thanks E**! Glad you're digging it.

As many records as I buy (have bought), I find myself settling for MP3 action a lot of the time now, on MP3 blogs, if I can find something I like on iTunes, esp if it's something I really dig but can't track down on vinyl (like 'Yo Yo' by Richards People).

No shame in the MP3 game. It used to be cassettes, then (and now) CD-Rs...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

And I wish I could hire some kid who wants to break into conservative journalism to put them all on my computer.

I think there's some candidates on this site.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    conservative journalism

OXYMORON

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    conservative journalism

OXYMORAN

PS: Oh hi Vitamin, are you ready for your de-Bushification classes yet? We'll set you up with a nice civil service job and you can watch Jeopardy every night and pretend the last 5 years never happened. Who knows, maybe one day you'll even become a Nobel-winning novelist who writes eloquently on the romantic tragedy of the human condition.