what else do you buy when you hit the thrifts?

2»

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

really cheap high-end stereo equipment

I once found a yamaha receiver that probably cost around $300-400 new that was for sale for $20 or so. I already had one so i told my friend, "hey man, you have to buy that" and I hooked shit up and tested it out for him in the store too. I began to regret telling him to buy it a couple minutes later. I could be using that thing in basement.

its gotten to the point where i have so much shit like that just sitting in my sisters basement and my paretns storage unit i really gotta hold back unless its something AMAZING.

i got this eico stereo tube amp at some ladys garage sale with a "make offer" sticker on it, i offered $5 and got it, the thing sounds INCREDIBLE.

i just got two portable reel-to-reels, two turntables and a 70's sony self-standing Dolby NR unit for $8 at a garage sale out in the middle of nowhere a few days ago. people dont know that other people want this shit i guess.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Besides records, I love checking for

- Tapes!
    - Gameboy games
    - Old school picture books about apes, birds, human anatomy, Japan in the 70??s and 80??s, old-school computers, random animals and late seventies sports-teams. For ye olde collage-work.
    - Obscure sci-fi books.
    - Posters and stuff.
    - Sometimes clothes.

Regarding clothes I agree with what??s been said. Good shit is far between and turning pretty damn expensive! However, I can understand that thrifts attempt to turn into boutiques, the whole retro-fashion thing has done wonders for them as businesses and my wardrobe.

- J

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I have a bit of a tie fetish. Have nearly a box full (probably 100ish?) some from thrifts and some samples (my dad has been in menswear all my life).

The mirror, both lamps and that game show host looking jacket you can see are all thrift purchases, the fairlight voicetracker is from a garage sale.

• yeah i lived in southern california during the height of the great japanese levi caper,

The whole Japanese/Levi thing is fascinating to me..smart though. They really banked off that shit. Thrift stores fucking suck now..as someone mentioned..its all horrible late 90s shit in there..shit like Gant polos..and Hunt Club..WACK! I miss the days when you could find fresh ass 70s Adidas tracksuits and old bboy shit. I had fun finding all that of that kinda stuff back in middle/high school. I rarely go to em now because they are so wack. Also, its a totally new crowd in there now..Becky types and shit..trying to find "funny t-shirts"(DARE tees,etc).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    clothes
    books
    shoes
    purses
    glasswear
    jewellery
    wall art - I got an amzing batik tropical scene on a 2'x4' frame for $1 a few weeks ago.The jacuzzi room now looks complete!

Used shoes creep people out, but stores are not really putting really busted, dirty, worn to death stuff out there. I usually put insoles in. Also, not everything at thrifts are used, some are old store stock that never made it off the shelves.

• i always hit the record section first but i always look through everything, pretty much pick up anything that catches my eye, last non record purchase i made were two old mint hockey sticks for $5 a piece, one which was made here in st. paul, the unique chain of thrift stores around here still put out good shit daily and price it cheap, found all kinds of awesome shit in these stores

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

its gotten to the point where i have so much shit like that just sitting in my sisters basement and my paretns storage unit i really gotta hold back unless its something AMAZING.

I now have so many amp/tuners that I need to buy shelves for them in my basement/workshop. Same with speakers.

which leads me to my list:

Books
    Audio equipment
    Shelves (to put all this shit on)
    Tiki shit (has to be pretty amazing nowadays,though, or really weird)
    antique ceramic or porcelin stuff
    globes (again, has to be pretty unique for me to spend anything now)
    framed prints/paintings
    antique iron stuff
    furniture (solid wood stuff-not just any furniture)

• One of the best Non Record Thrift Scores was a nearly unriden Logan Earth Ski with Kryptos.Pretty much the Rolls Royce of 70"s skateboards.I rolled in style to the liquor store for about 2 years,then I traded it for about $300 worth of records.Totally regret letting that ride go.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    cool board games[fat albert,soul etc]
    afx car stuff
    old 60s/70s/80s skateboards and related gear[tee shirts,trucks,stickers,wheels]
    synths/keyboards/audio gear
    anything bruce lee/kung fu related from the 70s
    guitars and pedals
    comics
    magazines[creepy,errie,marvel,mad,guitar player,keyboard etc]
    cool books [pulp paperbacks usually from the 70s- goines,tidyman etc]
    old sneakers to resell
    atari & vintage video stuff
    cool tee shirts
    60s/70s kitsh lamps/furniture

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Kala,
    I use to collect old board games(just the boards) that had cool artwork. I had a bunch of them framed. When my house burned down in '04 the fire started in the attic directly above where a gameboard for "Beat The Devil" hung. It was from the 40's and had great black and red art of Satan himself.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    VHS tapes. I've found some out-of-print sci-fi, film noir and TV movie raer

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    handbags and heels. the problem with the shoes is that i will end up paying a lot more to get them stretched at the shoe guy than i payed for.

I need to try getting some shoes stretched, I hardly ever find vintage shoes in my size and when I do they are still too tight. I have a pair Ive been meaning to take in, they are leather so hopefully that makes it easier?

leather shoes are the only kind i've had stretched. i think that's the ideal material for stretching. you have to find a good shoe repair place though because i took in these shoes i love and he stretched them to the point where there were marks and dents where the leather broke

i forgot to mention that i also sometimes get furniture when i thrift. there was a time actually when i was obsessed with getting chairs for reupholstering because i saw todd oldham do it on house of style like 12 years ago and shit was so easy. then i just kept bringing home chairs and fixing them up. it started to become a problem and at one point i realized holy shit i have a lot of chairs and ended up giving them to people

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Kala,
    I use to collect old board games(just the boards) that had cool artwork. I had a bunch of them framed. When my house burned down in '04 the fire started in the attic directly above where a gameboard for "Beat The Devil" hung. It was from the 40's and had great black and red art of Satan himself.

cool
    i have never seen beat the devil that sounds sick
    that is fucked up about that fire
    did you loose mad amounts of psych rarer?