Kenyan grandfather, 73, kills leopard with hands

residentgiantresidentgiant 619 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
holy shit NAIROBI (Reuters) - A 73-year-old Kenyan grandfather reached into the mouth of an attacking leopard and tore out its tongue to kill it, authorities said on Wednesday. Peasant farmer Daniel M'Mburugu was tending to his potato and bean crops in a rural area near Mount Kenya when the leopard charged out of the long grass and leapt on him.M'Mburugu had a machete in one hand but dropped that to thrust his fist down the leopard's mouth. He gradually managed to pull out the animal's tongue, leaving it in its death-throes.[/b]"It let out a blood-curdling snarl that made the birds stop chirping," he told the daily Standard newspaper of how the leopard came at him and knocked him over.The leopard sank its teeth into the farmer's wrist and mauled him with its claws. "A voice, which must have come from God, whispered to me to drop the panga (machete) and thrust my hand in its wide open mouth. I obeyed," M'Mburugu said.As the leopard was dying, a neighbour heard the screams and arrived to finish it off with a machete.M'Mburugu was toasted as a hero in his village Kihato after the incident earlier this month. He was also given free hospital treatment by astonished local authorities."This guy is very lucky to be alive," Kenya Wildlife Service official Connie Maina told Reuters, confirming details of the incident.

Comments

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    holy shit

NAIROBI (Reuters) - A 73-year-old Kenyan grandfather reached into the mouth of an attacking leopard and tore out its tongue to kill it, authorities said on Wednesday.

Peasant farmer Daniel M'Mburugu was tending to his potato and bean crops in a rural area near Mount Kenya when the leopard charged out of the long grass and leapt on him.

M'Mburugu had a machete in one hand but dropped that to thrust his fist down the leopard's mouth. He gradually managed to pull out the animal's tongue, leaving it in its death-throes.[/b]

"It let out a blood-curdling snarl that made the birds stop chirping," he told the daily Standard newspaper of how the leopard came at him and knocked him over.

The leopard sank its teeth into the farmer's wrist and mauled him with its claws. "A voice, which must have come from God, whispered to me to drop the panga (machete) and thrust my hand in its wide open mouth. I obeyed," M'Mburugu said.

As the leopard was dying, a neighbour heard the screams and arrived to finish it off with a machete.

M'Mburugu was toasted as a hero in his village Kihato after the incident earlier this month. He was also given free hospital treatment by astonished local authorities.

"This guy is very lucky to be alive," Kenya Wildlife Service official Connie Maina told Reuters, confirming details of the incident.

DAMN

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

He also could have shoved the machete up the leopard's ass. (See pitbull thread)

h

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    And yesterday I heard a story about an Ethopian girl who was kidnapped and beaten by some brothers who wanted to force her into an arranged marriage. They ran off and left her when some tigers approached. The tigers guarded the girl for some long period of time until she could be rescued.

Dan

• He also could have shoved the machete up the leopard's ass. (See pitbull thread)

h

That only works in San Francisco...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    And yesterday I heard a story about an Ethopian girl who was kidnapped and beaten by some brothers who wanted to force her into an arranged marriage. They ran off and left her when some tigers approached. The tigers guarded the girl for some long period of time until she could be rescued.

Dan

My homegirl E-mailed me thay story. Quite eerie.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

DAMN

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

???

Pretty sure there are no tigers in Ethiopia.

• And yesterday I heard a story about an Ethopian girl who was kidnapped and beaten by some brothers who wanted to force her into an arranged marriage. They ran off and left her when some tigers approached. The tigers guarded the girl for some long period of time until she could be rescued.

???

You would be correct in that assumption...

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Not that I don't doubt your statements about no lions in Ethiopia but here's one of the articles...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ethiopia_guarded_by_lions;_ylt=ArNDAEGAZtk9r3Nt3gia6Q0DW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - A 12-year-old girl who was abducted and beaten by men trying to force her into a marriage was found being guarded by three lions who apparently had chased off her captors, a policeman said Tuesday.

The girl, missing for a week, had been taken by seven men who wanted to force her to marry one of them, said Sgt. Wondimu Wedajo, speaking by telephone from the provincial capital of Bita Genet, about 350 miles southwest of Addis Ababa.

She was beaten repeatedly before she was found June 9 by police and relatives on the outskirts of Bita Genet, Wondimu said. She had been guarded by the lions for about half a day, he said.

"They stood guard until we found her and then they just left her like a gift and went back into the forest," Wondimu said.

"If the lions had not come to her rescue, then it could have been much worse. Often these young girls are raped and severely beaten to force them to accept the marriage," he said.

Tilahun Kassa, a local government official who corroborated Wondimu's version of the events, said one of the men had wanted to marry the girl against her wishes.

"Everyone thinks this is some kind of miracle, because normally the lions would attack people," Wondimu said.

Stuart Williams, a wildlife expert with the rural development ministry, said the girl may have survived because she was crying from the trauma of her attack.

"A young girl whimpering could be mistaken for the mewing sound from a lion cub, which in turn could explain why they didn't eat her," Williams said.

Ethiopia's lions, famous for their large black manes, are the country's national symbol and adorn statues and the local currency. Despite a recent crackdown, Hunters also kill the animals for their skins, which can fetch $1,000. Williams estimates that only 1,000 Ethiopian lions remain in the wild.

The girl, the youngest of four siblings, was "shocked and terrified" after her abduction and had to be treated for the cuts from her beatings, Wondimu said.

He said police had caught four of the abductors and three were still at large.

Kidnapping young girls has long been part of the marriage custom in Ethiopia. The
    United Nations estimates that more than 70 percent of marriages in Ethiopia are by abduction, practiced in rural areas where most of the country's 71 million people live.

• Not that I don't doubt your statements about no lions in Ethiopia but here's one of the articles...

He said no TIGERS[/b]...

• Just so y'all know...

Tiger (Panthera tigris)

Lion (Panthera leo)

Liger (Male Lion - Female Tiger cross)

Tigon (Female Lion - Male Tiger cross)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

???

I spent like 15 minutes editing the post to say lions and providing a link and a quote for the source I heard it from. Then I come back and apperently never clicked continue or something. Anyway thank for the correction.

Dan

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Horn of Africa got the Feline game on lock!

Jah