How many people are sober?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I drink almost every night. A couple glasses of wine or beer with dinner. Some nights a lot more than that.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    re: theecasualmale not drinking, i have to say i think m*** is the most "can hang around drunk folks and have a great time" non drinker that i have ever ever met.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I'm not completely sober, but these days I get buzzed opposed to wasted...

Beer: I love it, but I also drink a lot of water to offset the gut, which still needs to be reduced and gets noticeable for a person of my slender, short, 150 pound stature.

Liquor: Only socially. 3 drinks maximum. I used to drink like a fish until the novelty of being able to legally drink has worn off. I don't get hangovers, but feeling hyper-emotional the next day is NAGL.

Weed: I've cut down considerably in the past year or so. Before then, I would go through a half ounce a month. Now a small fraction of that would last me for that same amount of time. That's a good thing too since the company/union I now work for has just announced a random drug testing policy (despite it's not a "catch and fire" deal, I think is beyond ridiculous since all my coworkers and superiors who I know don't blaze up are, however, constant cig break taking, get-stupid-drunk-after-work alcoholics with DUIs under their belts). Because of that, I haven't smoked in the past few weeks. Not only that, but it's just not fun when it's an everyday thing. Only weekends for me here on out. Again, making a habit of drinking a lot of water during the course of the day just because it's healthy to do so, not necessarily to beat a piss test, has helped lower the tolerance.

Caffeine: No coffee. Soda infrequently. Only one cup of tea in the morning to get me started with maybe an energy drink during the day.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    But being sober seems so...

So fucking boring, right??

I can relate to this thought so fucking much.

Up until 2 months ago I was a serious lush, my then girlfriend and I basically spent every free hour together lifted on a combo of alcohol and weed. I was more the latter she was completely the former. After a really fucked up trip to San Diego that involved a little bit of coke, blacking out, and the usual suspects a change needed to come, She jumped into AA and I decided cut my weed down considerably. I had already pretty much lowered my smoking from a multiple bowls a day thing to just once every other day or so and after the SD trip I went to once a week or so with a good record to chill with.

During the first 2 weeks of my exes sobriety I was shitting bricks, sure she had her AA support but I'm worried about how our social interaction was going to change, we seriously knew nothing else. I would think about sneaking off while we together to take a couple tokes and coming back into whatever situation we were in but in the end I never followed through. A couple weeks later we broke up and I'd say the removal of drugs from our systems played a heavy part. It's been nearly a month now since then and I've managed to stay on the level (not counting 2 record listening sessions).

It's a scary world being sober, you don't realize how something becomes a crutch in your life. Hanging out with my friends has become a little bit of a challenge too, we so often got stoned together and now that I've made a change I find their awkwardness to be similar to what mines was when I tried to supportive of my ex.

The bright side in all of this though is you start to get used to it, you find out that a crutch isn't as necessary as you might have once thought and you find different activities to look forward to.

Sobriety ain't all that bad. I'm still a fan of moderation but I'm a bigger fan of exorcising my druggy demons

If you choose to do something Gamble good luck, and don't be afraid to reach out and contact, you know how to find me.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Im less sober now than ever in my life.

• four years, 1 week and 5 days. peace, stein. . .

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    How many people wish to be sober?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I would go through a half ounce a month.

Lightweight! I am off the urb. 3 months nearly. Beer & Patron consumption = way up. Oh well.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Not yet. But prolly someday.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    re: theecasualmale not drinking, i have to say i think m*** is the most "can hang around drunk folks and have a great time" non drinker that i have ever ever met.

Same with RubbishVisual. I got to say these are two of the most level headed and funny dudes Ive ever met/known. I on the other hand....well thats another story. Ive thought about it a lot though, it just hasn't happend yet. I guess I just I don't know where to start.

• Sober since day one.

For real?! I thought I was the only one!

BUT I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!

Hahaha, yeah, me, Herm and Mr. Jeigh are the Soberstrut 4 Lifers up in this bee eye itch.

My story: None of my friends in high school really snuck off to drink and I didn't go to a lot of wild house parties (my Friday nights were spent staying home trying to learn how to play Primus songs on bass). The only drinking my parents ever did was Manischewitz like twice a year. By the time I got to college it was like "Wow, there's a guy passed out over a toilet. Awesome." I'd tasted beer, wine, champagne, and a hurricane and didn't like the taste of any of them. Add in the fact that I'd made it that far without having ever been drunk and I figured "Why start now?"

So yeah, 11,170 days sober.

Re: hangin' out with drunk people... Yall are some funny motherfuckers. Some of my favorite people in the world are lightly buzzed versions of my close friends. Some of my least favorite people in the world are fully overindulged, ashtray mouthed barf bombs waiting to explode. But if it's late enough and yall are just the right amount of dranked up and dumbed out, I can g-g-get on your level.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    But if it's late enough and yall are just the right amount of dranked up and dumbed out, I can g-g-get on your level.

I'm still contemplating what to write in this thread.

• But if it's late enough and yall are just the right amount of dranked up and dumbed out, I can g-g-get on your level.

I'm still contemplating what to write in this thread.

ummmm, this is 100000% exactly what i had in mind when i wrote the words just the right amount of dranked up and dumbed out[/b]

BIG UP MORSE CODE.

• I'm basically sober. I'll drink alcohol every now and then, but it's limited to one or two drinks max. I basically have to force myself to drink alcohol. It all tastes like shit to me. People who enjoy beer are tripping to me. I guess it's an acquired taste, but it all tastes like rotten bubbly water to me. Wine and shots of hard liquor are disgusting. It's not my thing. I have had some beer that tasted good in a way, but it's not really satisfying to me.

My entire lifetime of alcohol consumption could probably be summed up to about 30 drinks total and I am 28.

I've never smoked weed, never smoked cigarettes beyond joking around and blowing smoke out of my mouth without inhaling. I've never done any other drugs.

I don't think that I am a boring person. I am shy and somewhat reserved, but I think that I am much funnier and entertaining sober. If I drink enough to get silly I just smile and sit silent while feeling like I should sleep. I am a really self conscious person in all aspects of my life and no matter how much I've had to drink I still have this voice in the back of my head that says "you sound like an idiot now, stop talking."

I think my approach to drugs and alcohol started very young. My parents would let us taste wine as kids. just a sip. It tasted like shit then and I still think it tastes like shit. I was a skateboarder all my life and my friends were always older than me. So when I was in 5th grade most of them were potheads. It never appealed to me. They just got lazy and about 75% of them ended up doing nothing with their lives.

Another reason I don't drink or do drugs is because I am cheap. I don't really enjoy that stuff much, so I'm not going to spend money on it. I don't have a problem with people drinking or doing drugs, as long as it's not in excess and as long as it doesn't intrude on my plans/ability to do my thing.

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts
    I drink almost every night. A couple glasses of wine or beer with dinner. Some nights a lot more than that.

I drink 2-3 glasses of red wine a night and if I go out and I drink a lot more, I don't consider myself an alkie and I only drink wine and spirits.

I gave up weed a few months ago and don't miss it as much as I thought I would, considering I did it everyday for months.

Life is to celebrate, so enjoy it.

peace

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    ive been off the drink for the best part of year now. and even when i would drink i would rarely have any.

i never touched a drop of it till i was 24 im now in my mid 30's and have only probably drank it on occasion for a couple of years. i can't see myself touching it in the near future.

• I'm basically sober these days. By that I mean I enjoy approximately one beer a week. A friend of mine from Mexico brought me back a REALLY nice bottle of tequila last year (almost a full liter) and it's barely been touched.

• I wish I was...Been abusing the substances for too long! Props to the sober strutters, it's a tuff task to stay that way...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've slowed down considerably. LOVE a beer buzz, HATE a Hangover.

I haven't puffed off a joint in almost two years. There are some nights where I'd like to watch a funny movie and get stoned.. bang my wife... those were the days. But with kids you need to stay on point.

I've popped a few prescription pills to deal with my anxiety.

MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS ICE CREAM!

I would take Ice Cream over any drug in a heart beat. I could eat that shit breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Oh...and I have a caffeine problem. Two cups of coffee and a diet pepsi daily. AT LEAST.

I have been excercising again. The endorphins are killer as well.

BYE.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    If I do drink, however, I would say there is maybe am 85 percent chance im gonna drink enough to black out at least the last 2-3 hours of my night. Its fuckin horrible. I can't get "Buzzed". Its just not in my makeup. Being part Irish, and with alcs and addicts on both sides of the family tree, ive got a pretty high tolerance. most times I cant feel the effects until Ive had about 5 or 6 double vodka anythings, at which point i black out and drink who knows how much more. Getting the whole moderation thing down is fuckin hard.

Yeah, this is pretty much me in a nutshell. Luckily I'm too busy to drink more than once or twice a week. I don't feel that bad about it though. I was at a family wedding this weekend and was the least drunk/most successful of the cousins

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    LOVE a beer buzz, HATE a Hangover.

No doubt, 2 kids + hangover = horrible, horrible day.

I still have one or two drinks every night, no more than four or five on a weekend night, although almost always after four or five I want a few more. Its just that I feel like the older I've gotten the worse the hangovers are, no matter how much water or asprin you take before bed. Gone are the days of drinking until 6am.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This thread is kind of depressing.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This thread is kind of depressing.

Well, there's nothing like a depressant to chase the blues away!

• I'm still doin my thing, man. Still getting stoned on the daily, only drink liquor in social situations, but I have a couple of beers every day to deal with the heat and kick back after work.

Back in 2003, my drug usage was a bit outta control. I smoked weed multiple times per day. Was stoned practically all the time. Plus I drank about two bottles of red wine every night. I was putting the damage on pretty thick. But I bounced back from all that, moved to CA, stopped drinking and began playing soccer three to four times a week. Got me in the best shape of my life.

Now I'm getting comfortable again. Got the beer gut and live-in girlfriend. Need to get motivated again and start running. If only the heat would die down some. It's like the fucking apocalypse out here...

But to answer the original question, no, I'm not sober...

I was watching "Taxi Driver" last week and the scene where De Niro starts to get in shape was truly inspirational.

"May 29, 1972. I must get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Twenty-five push-ups each morning, one hundred sit-ups, one hundred knee-bends. I have quit smoking."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Was pretty much forced into going to my first electroclash party

THAT GENRE IS STILL AROUND??????

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I generally have a drink or two at night. I don't really like to get fucked up, so I call it quits before I get to drunk.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

more like-

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i still get stoned everyday, but i really want to quit. Shit is kicking my ass anymore.
    My lungs are fucked up and its been bothering my stomach lately.

ive calmed down a lot lately. I used to be big into pharmies, like oxy and vics, where it was like i was taking 4 to 5 vics a day just so i wouldnt get sick. Its a horrible way to live. I drink once and a while, but really only in social situations. But i never drink to just get a buzz. When i drink i take down like 10 drinks and smoke on top of it so i get destroyed. I wish i could get 100% sober, but with living situations and all the other drama i have going on, its real hard.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Never started. That made it easy.