daft punk saved my life

2»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    What's made them blow up again? Sorry for being a bit disconnected, I really thought they were an afterthought the last few years.

I really started hearing about them again once DFA started blowing up a few years ago. Not only do those guys incorporate a lot of similar sounds in their remix work, but they both play a lot of Daft Punk in their DJ sets. Of course, LCD Soundsystem releasing "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House" as the lead single from the first album didn't hurt.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I hear they KILLED it at Coney Island last week. Pure

kick myself for not going to this. always been a fan. haterade or not.

What is this, live show number 9? 10? I've lost count for you, hommie.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    their music always makes me think of "night at the roxbury"
    they all look alike to you, don't they

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The extra attention from the LCD and DFA camps, as well as nu skoolers like Justice, has certainly helped Daft Punk. But I think it's the buzz from their live act, especially their set at Coachella, that's pushed Daft Punk's popularity. I can't say that I've been a fan of Daft Punk since their first got huge out this way (their live set in 1997 at Further Fest in Wisconsin is legendary) but almost since then. These dudes just know how to bend their music, and turn out a party. Up until now, seeing an actual performance was pretty rare. They were more prone to just DJ, and DJ pretty well. Playing a small amount of live gigs just adds their extra level of exclusivity that makes all the rockists moist.

Also Homework "rips off" Chicago house music just as much as Discovery rips off those other dance classics. Daft Punk was doing their own take on each -- by calling it Homework, they are obviously tipping their hat to all the house acts just like they give shout-outs on the song "Teachers."

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    In my own humble opinion Daft Punk brought tons of much needed zest to the house/dance music scene with their releases. They did some F-U-N-K-Y tracks, and can obviously rock a party, so why the hate?

Would Justice, the DFA stuff, all the Kitsune Maison stuff, Chromeo, Digitalism, LCD Soundsystem etc be where they are today, or indeed be making the music they make if Daft Punk hadn??t brought this sound out around the world (no pun... or maybe... yes pun intended)?

Plus, they??re really good musicians. They play all their own instruments, including the INSANE solos on "Digital Love" and "Aerodynamic".

THAT is impressive.

I heard that when they were doing the tour after "Discovery" dropped, the one dude would play guitar while the other one fiddled with the effects, and vice versa for synths. Are they still doing this?

- J

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The extra attention from the LCD and DFA camps, as well as nu skoolers like Justice, has certainly helped Daft Punk. But I think it's the buzz from their live act, especially their set at Coachella, that's pushed Daft Punk's popularity. I can't say that I've been a fan of Daft Punk since their first got huge out this way (their live set in 1997 at Further Fest in Wisconsin is legendary) but almost since then. These dudes just know how to bend their music, and turn out a party. Up until now, seeing an actual performance was pretty rare. They were more prone to just DJ, and DJ pretty well. Playing a small amount of live gigs just adds their extra level of exclusivity that makes all the rockists moist.

In addition the above explainations for the recent wave of appreciation, I think from the very begining they have always very shrewdly marketed themselves as an all-encompassing unisex pop music machine rather than just the next generation of house cats. The music itself owes as much to Boston (the band) as it does to CZR or _______ (name your favorite Chicago house producer); while their videos, costumes, live show "theater", and even their album art/design sensibility position them as a separate, self-sustaining entity.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Also Homework "rips off" Chicago house music just as much as Discovery rips off those other dance classics. Daft Punk was doing their own take on each -- by calling it Homework, they are obviously tipping their hat to all the house acts just like they give shout-outs on the song "Teachers."
    i didn't mean rip-off as a diss, czr and all them were 'ripoffs' of what came before as well

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah, thats just stupid

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah, thats just stupid

but true...
    Loc: do u party?

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I went to see their show in Amsterdam last month, shit was insane, one of the best shows I've ever seen!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    best $60 I spent this year, EPIC!!!!!!!!

it was basically a new rave.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    it was basically a new rave.
    better to couch yr accolades vinyl collectro friendly terms
    mention, perhaps, how the concert will 'stand the test of time'

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i don't think they play much house music at 'pimp-ho' parties

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I hear they KILLED it at Coney Island last week. Pure

kick myself for not going to this. always been a fan. haterade or not.

the coney island show was pretty damn good. i've never been a huge fan of them, but my girl really digs them. they played all their 'hits' but the lazer light show was the kicker. bands (regardless of genre) really need to incorporate lazer beams and such in their shows.

also, i was at the show, look over...and damn if i don't see this dude:

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Daft punk's live setup:

x2

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Daft punk's live setup:

x4[/b]

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Are those PC touch screens in the middle?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Even better... two multi-touch, fully customizable MIDI controllers.

Jazzmutant Lemur
    http://www.jazzmutant.com/

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

Even better... two multi-touch, fully customizable MIDI controllers.

Jazzmutant Lemur
    http://www.jazzmutant.com/

this shit is next level. i played a gig recently with modeselektor, and they use 2 of these babies to control their stuff live. next level shit fo sure, but did u check the price tag? next level also.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    "homework" changed my life. after that point, their stuff was pretty, well, weak.
    still good pop songs (faster, better,harder.. is the shit, ok), but not my kinda thing. i ve never been to a daft punk live show, but those youtube vids look quite cool. but what exactly are those dudes doing? some kind of ableton mixing? surely no vinyl envolved i guess?

d.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I couldn't find the price for the JazzMutant products, that are so ironically built in France.

I was dissecting thier schitt while listening to them in Grant Park at Chicago, doing a lot teasing with intros blended into other songs, then coming back later with a song flirted with at the beginning of the set. Just one big mix basically. I just loved hearing fucking electronic music outside, what a fuckin' meltdown to hear outside instead of some metamorphic sound-dome stadium. I wasn't there for them I was there for the sound mann!

They got all the clueless wonderers running over to the stage after they opened up with "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" melody. Perfect for them.

Daft Punk action figures. What some? $480 via ebay.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I couldn't find the price for the JazzMutant products, that are so ironically built in France.

$2,999

http://www.audiomidi.com/Lemur-P7186.aspx
    http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.365211/it.A/id.357/.f

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I love how they use top shelf equipment like the Lemur right alongside $200 Behringer controllers you can pick up at Guitar Center. Brilliant.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    wow

• I think the concept is great and I can't wait to see their movie when it comes out. However, Kraftwerk hasn't been mentioned at all in this post! The Punkers definately "borrowed" heavily from those German pioneers. I went and saw Kraftwerk on their last tour a couple of years ago and it was similar lighting and costumes. Kraftwerk even had a segement of the show wherte they were lit with black lights and glowed like characters from Tron, just like Daft Punk. I guess it`s true imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.