weekend FYNDZ 8/3+......................

2»

Comments

• Leo looks like he's about to drop kick someone in the grill!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrifts, fleas, yard sales - 25 cents to 2 bucks ea. *exception of cluster lp reissue found at dd in atown

this holy grail -- in excellent shape

found it in a box of circa 1980 soul and disco at a yard sale from people who got it in a storage unit, so i am inclined and very confident to think it not a reissue.

found that in a box with about 55 r&b 78s for 20 bucks along with the likes of washboard bill, little junior parker, little willie john, bobby blue bland, little walter, memphis slim, sonny thompson, wynonie harris, big jay mcneely, eddie boyd, arthur big boy crudup, etc. condition ranges, which is pretty typical with 78s of this nature.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    this holy grail -- in excellent shape

found it in a box of circa 1980 soul and disco at a yard sale from people who got it in a storage unit, so i am inclined and very confident to think it not a reissue.

!!!

Jesus, there is no other poster on here who's weekend finds I simultaneously love and hate looking at more than dakar's.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    nice come ups

and he may not be the only cat you would feel that love hate about if everyone who picked up records on the weekend actually posted them

just sayin

• Jesus, there is no other poster on here who's weekend finds I simultaneously love and hate looking at more than dakar's.

Yeah, I think I could successfully "make love" to that Mr. Magic record!!!

And I'm sure Biz has doubles!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    mr magic is the small hole bro. BE CAREFUL.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    and he may not be the only cat you would feel that love hate about if everyone who picked up records on the weekend actually posted them

Yeah, if everyone here posted on Weekend Finds this shit would be poppin with records like that. Still though, that's a killer find, maybe this week's tortilla chips to Raj's Bean Dip.

aleit: what do you mean by 'small hole'?
    i know there is another label variation with peter browns name added as producer.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Yeah, I think I could successfully "make love" to that Mr. Magic record!!!

i see!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    more weekend shit: finally caught up with that 3rd jazzdancer album, the one at the bottom right (the 1st are the double copies and the 2nd is the top left one)

and a clean 12' disco apache, the version which pops up once ina while in that funny you-tube vid

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    nice come ups

just sayin

No doubt about it. Dakar, however, is nice enough/a big enough dick to post his finds with some regularity. Actually it's pretty inspiring most of the time. Helps get me off my ass and out there looking for records.

Can anyone shed light on the two variations of the Mr Magic labels?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I just can't handle the fact that Dakar only spends around
    $200 on records in an entire year, yet ends up with better
    finds than those of us who spend that much a WEEK

Can anyone shed light on the two variations of the Mr Magic labels?

from the liner notes of the third unheard (can be found online here - http://www.stonesthrow.com/3rd/linernotes_1.html

mr. magic (tony pearson) put of 500 45s of this one (the 4 minute version) then later hired a band to re-record it with him due to fear of being sued on a 12". 3,000 copies of the 12" were put out and he had trouble distributing it and found help from peter brown, who re-released it (poorly remastered at frankford wayne) and took more credit for it on the different label than he should have.

to my knowledge the ultimate holy grail of this release is probably the 45 of it, though that lacks the 9 minute a side of this 12"