weekend FYNDZ 8/3+......................

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
^^Truth is '75 hard rokk on Roulette. dont sleep on these two rascals in particular, good psyche-y stuff throughout.^^Arbuckle is one of those bands who couldnt decide what they wanted to do, but they were good musicians. tasty lil break on that Blues Project. the you-n-you and the muraris are all private semi religious 'youth ensembles' ^^ Manpower = Man's 1st record. top left is a south american psyche reissue that looks totally suspect but its numbered and apparently legit.."El Tarro De Mostaza" on La Onda records. Been lookin for the OG nwa for a long time.^^ that jellybean is sorta weak but it looked historically significant. Vic Taylor is backed by Byron Lee, but is mostly pretty tame standards.^^ got my fingers into a pretty deep (+clean) jazz+soul collection...^^ (the Sonny and Bud are early 80s japan reissues - but pretty wicked in their own right.) 1st Lester Young LP, in great shape.45s..^^ top left is Bob Dorough 1971, top right is a local RnB from '84 with clear Prince influence. Bottom right is homemade 1940's R and X rated craziness, sounds like old school frat boys getting their wild on.

Comments

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    man...

• FmGTFmGT 13 Posts
    Damn, the Frank Penn or Caliman any good?

I just grabbed some weird Italian funk covers of tunes from Star Wars...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Goddamnit!

Whats the x-ceptions cover of 'a change is gonna come' like? I'm always hoping there's a good funky version of this when I see it on a cover, but I haven't found one that it yet.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Goddamnit!

Whats the x-ceptions cover of 'a change is gonna come' like? I'm always hoping there's a good funky version of this when I see it on a cover, but I haven't found one that it yet.

i couldnt call it "funky" but its very unusual. its a nice raw instrumental version with some slamming drums, some sweet background "ooo"s, and the lead 'vocal' is by a... clarinet?!?!?!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Damn, the Frank Penn or Caliman any good?

the frank penn is 3/4 "island/tropical" type stuff (nicer than most but still ehh overall). but hes got a couple nice self penned (heh) songs that are nice soul, and i even heard a nice loop in there somewhere.

the caliman is a lot like "iapetus" his other on mainstream i.e. semi mellow semi spiritual jazz. not trad, not radical, just nice early 70s stuff. but id say Iapetus is more daring.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    A Friday find and what a great 12":

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    A Friday find and what a great 12":

Nice find! I just bought a copy of that recently, awesome record.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

aren't you supposed to be in ny?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

aren't you supposed to be in ny?

I'm in NY recovering from last night.

• whuttefugg is up with all the records karlo?? ???? how much $ did u spend?
    alot of good records there, and i want that mike mainieri record!

fred

• uh.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    hit a few flea spots today and turned up a little bit of goodness...
    plus some stuff from last week:

• Damn ... nice finds here -- especially Karlophone and Fred...

here's some bits from the last week...

i'm dead chuffed to get my mitts on the two Sam ul Lin records -- got them off one of the dudes at waxidermy.com

the 7's are:

ROY AYERS - "running away"
    BRIAN AUGER - "tiger" (ace!)
    NINO FERRER - "alexandre"
    BOOKER T - "green onions"
    SHOCKING BLUE - "venus"
    DUNGEN - "panda" (absolutley face meltingly good. been listening to this track non stop for ages)
    and some daft french 'hi fi test' 7 i got given free...

• hit a few flea spots today and turned up a little bit of goodness...
    plus some stuff from last week:

that bj??rn jason lindh record is sick. uhmm. at least one of the tracks is sick. the slow bassline driven track. love it.

• flea finds from yesterday morning. Super Super Blues Band is the shit- howlin wolf, muddy waters and bo diddley. I didn't even know they had funky wah-wah like that in '67. is it wah? maybe some type of reverb? highly recommend this one. Johnny Taylor is nice too.

Crow Music is cool psych-ish garage rock from 69. hard drums + badass cover. En El Ombligo.. is a trippy mexican ambient record with some cool sounds. traditional instruments meet phased synths. disco 12 is shades of time keep in touch. anyone heard of wareika? roots reggae, 79 or 80 i'm guessin. can't find any info on them.

top right is Joseph Jarman and Don Moye. decent spiritual black jazz. one nice funky cut called sun spots. also wondering about that Dr. York record. it's still sealed and I know there's some cat's in japan who would probably fiend, maybe not.

talking blues by cimarons and shaving cream by fabulous five. can I get some apreesh for this cat's wings???

also found a very clean Linda Jones "Let It Be Me" with no cover

• yesteday i picked up RAMP "coming into knowledge," but it's on abc rather than blue thumb. any information on the pressing difference???

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://www.mopedarmy.com/img/gallery/silver_honda_express_side_2.jpg>

running fine, for $40

and a couple 45s, in the middle of NOWHERE, iowa

bull & the matadors - the funky judge
    aesops fables 45 on cadet concept
    2 james brown lps

some other shit, but im just excited about the scooter.

• FmGTFmGT 13 Posts
    yesteday i picked up RAMP "coming into knowledge," but it's on abc rather than blue thumb. any information on the pressing difference???

Blue Thumb started in '68, worked with Capitol Records for distribution from '68-'70, and when that contract expired in '71, they entered a similar agreement with ABC. ABC eventually bought them in '74, and absorbed their catalog into their own, so subsequent pressings probably went under ABC until '79, when MCA purchased ABC and dropped Blue Thumb out the bottom. Think it was a distribution thing... think I answered what you were asking [I hope]

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    45s:

Barbara George - I Know (You Don???t Love Me No More)/ A.F.O
    Jackie Wilson - Love Uprising/ Brunswick
    Shorty Long - Night Fo??? Last/ Soul
    Olympic Runners - Party Time Is Here To Stay/ London
    Clarence Reid - Nobody But You Babe/ Alston
    Brenton Wood - I Want Love/ Brent
    Sam and Dave - Hold On??? I???m Comin???/ Stax (Green Label)
    Bobby Freeman - Come On and Swim/ Autumn
    X-25 Band - Jam It/ HCRC
    The Illusion - Falling In Love/ Steed
    Herbie Hancock - Rockit/ Columbia (like I need another copy, couldn???t pass it up!)
    The Seeds - Pushing Too Hard/ Crescendo
    Sugar Hill Gang - Apache/ Sugar Hill Promo Copy
    Wee Wille Mason - Funky Funky Hot Pants/ Jay Walking
    The Standells - Sometimes Good Guys Don???t Wear White/ Power
    Sammy Brown - Gotta Leave This Town/ Grassroots
    Dyke and the Blazers - Uhh/ Original Sound
    King Curtis and the Kingpins - Cook Out/ Atco
    Tony Valor Sounds Orchestra - Ma-Mo-Ar/ Brunswick
    James Carr - Coming Back To Me Baby/ Goldwax
    Brenda and the Tabulations - A Part of You/ Top and Bottom
    Jesse Hill - Ooh Poo Pah Doo/ Minit
    Chuck Jackson & Maxine Brown - Can???t Let You Out of my Sight/ Wand
    The Fantastic Four - Ain???t Love Wonderful/ Ric Tic
    The Magistrates - Here Comes the Judge/ MGM
    Jackie Ross - Everything But Love/ Chess
    Freddie Hughes - Send my Baby Back/ Wand
    Otis Redding - Open the Door/ Volt
    Brenton Wood - I Think You???ve Got Your Fools Mixed Up/ Double Shot
    Jimmy Castor Bunch - You Better Be Good (or the Devil Gon??? Getcha)/ RCA

Lps:

Jackson 5ive - Goin Back to Indiana/ Motown
    Duke Williams & the Extremes - A Monkey In A Silk Suit Is Still A Monkey/ Capricorn
    Weather Report - Sweetnighter/ CBS
    Cannonball Adderly & Ray Brown - Two For the Blues/ VSP
    The Temptations - Live at the Copa/ Gordy
    George McCrae - Rock Your Baby/ T.K.
    Taveres - Check It Out/ EMI
    El Topo Las Manos Del Campo/ Guanin

Good Times.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    This morning:

- jerome kern limelight singers with the tres hotties on the back
    - willie colon LP on fania 1974

set sale this week, keep them eyes peeled

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

also wondering about that Dr. York record. it's still sealed and I know there's some cat's in japan who would probably fiend, maybe not.

that 'New' record by York (i think that's the artist name) has a really nice modern soul / boogie cut on it called "Don't Stop" . he also rips off the bassline for billie jean on this one cut.. it's pretty funny. I like that album though, a sealed copy could be sought after.

nice finds everyone!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

also wondering about that Dr. York record. it's still sealed and I know there's some cat's in japan who would probably fiend, maybe not.

that 'New' record by York (i think that's the artist name) has a really nice modern soul / boogie cut on it called "Don't Stop" . he also rips off the bassline for billie jean on this one cut.. it's pretty funny. I like that album though, a sealed copy could be sought after.

nice finds everyone!

I heart dr. york.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    no time or energy for digging this weekend, but i did have a few thingz waiting for me when I got home yesterday:

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

top right is Joseph Jarman and Don Moye. decent spiritual black jazz. one nice funky cut called sun spots. also wondering about that Dr. York record. it's still sealed and I know there's some cat's in japan who would probably fiend, maybe not.

I was amped when I found the Dr. York record as well because of its looks....tune unfortunately is so so and I couldn't give it away when I tried (didn't go on the bay or nathan....)

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

I was amped when I found the Dr. York record as well because of its looks....tune unfortunately is so so and I couldn't give it away when I tried (didn't go on the bay or nathan....)

really? shit I like that track... i figured some other people would too. that is surprising.

• Got all these LP for $3 a piece...That Lorraine Johnson is a fairly big Modern Soul/ Boogie LP
    Keisa Brown and Lisa Dore LPs are sealed....

more $3 a piece LPs...Frut LP is sealed...

More $3 a piece LPs! Brown County Band is a Rare Indiana Private Press as shown in the Acid Archives...
    Pyramid LP is sealed...

$3 a piece 12"s, 2 copies of Twilight 22 "electric kingdom, one promo...
    the VHB "beethovens fifth street symphony on Vintertainment...Crash Crew "on the radio" promo...
    Mojo "jump stop and twist"...Second 12" to the right in the middle is a rare disco funk 12" by Jesse G. called "that's hot" on nugget...
    Blondie "heart full of glass" 12"...Bottom legt is Dream Warriors "california dreamin" 12'...Dope mid-90's canadian hip hop!
    Warp 9 "nunk" on Prism...Captain Rapp "bad times" on Beckett...Shannon "let the music play" on Emergency

$.20 each 45s...Bobby Womack "across 110th St." 45...Nice Funk 45 by the Barons "making it better"...
    Big Big Northern Sould 45 by Oliver Christian for only $.20!!!

Decent common Funk & Soul 45s for $.20 cents each...

James Brown oriented 45s for $.20 each! Marva Whitney "things got to get better"...Bobby Byrd "keep on doing..."

Got the Bob James for $1 at GoodWill...All the common Soul 45s were $.20 each...VHS's were $1 each...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    that bj??rn jason lindh record is sick. uhmm. at least one of the tracks is sick. the slow bassline driven track. love it.

YES its ill, theres at least 4 tracks that i likes on this, sounds like nothing ive heard j:son do before, a concept record about the city, blending in urban noise like traffic and pigeons over jazzrock beats, supposely his debut release, on a swedish label i havent seen before...

btw, picked up flea heat on sunday as well, a few things, a white whale of mine, the 3rd jazzdancer on fona recs which ive been looking for for some time, and a danish 12' which turns up on the regular on a you-tube vid here on the strut... will post pics later!!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    A couple for the 'ol grip and flip:

They are on the way to the bay, you can find the link in the classifieds.

• Took a little roadtrip with fellow strutter The Non 2 states over.

Found a warehouse full of records!

The Non searching for grails.

I thought I came up big with unlimited cheap multiples of...

Until The Non showed who the real King Digger was! BASTARD!!!!

And the results of the weekend was...

And one final note... a quick stop in a local Ohio record store Non pulled the the funniest LP out of the comedy section... No Kidding!