Bob Dylan bootleg album??

catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
HeyI don't know if anyone here will have any knowledge on this album but i figured i would try. My dad gave me some records and one of them is calld 'Motorcycle' - S/T , it came in a plain white record cover that had 'Bob Dylan - Motorcycle' written on it with sharpie. the LP is on WHEEL records , green label. I did a google search and on a list of Bob Dylan bootlegs, it was mentioned but I couldn't find any reference to value/scarcity anywhere and I don't know of any instance of it selling.If anyone has any info that would be greatthanks

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    If you could post a track title(or what you THINK might be a song title or 2), it might make it easier to figure out. So much of the stuff that used to be unavailable has been officially released on Dylan's 'Bootleg' series, which I believe is in Volume 7 or 8 now (at least). So a lot of those boots have dropped a lot in value. However, 'Motorcycle' is one I have never heard of. I would assume it's another 'Basement Tape' set, as he was recouperating from his motorcycle accident at that time, and a lot of those sessions were sent around to labels so other artists could cover those tracks and generate publishing $$$ while dude took a break. Hence the number of boots from that time.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There's a grip of these white sleeved Dylan boots. I don't think any of them are super duper big money, but in nice shape you oughta get at least $50 or something. I think they are fairly eBay safe too.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    http://www.bobsboots.com/boots/bt-m016.html

According to this site, a NM copy could bring in $100. But considering most deep Dylan collectors probably have this, and it may have been released as part of the official Bootleg Series, you probably will not get as much. Still, there are bootleg completists, especially those who may want every label variation.

EDIT: I checked, and the source of most of the tracks on the album are from the infamous "Basement Tapes".

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yeah, those are 'Basement Tapes' titles for sure, most of this has seen the light of day either in the Bootleg Series or in newer CDs that compile all 170 (or whatever the number) songs from those sessions.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There's a grip of these white sleeved Dylan boots. I don't think any of them are super duper big money, but in nice shape you oughta get at least $50 or something. I think they are fairly eBay safe too.

I find off of ebay that most boots sell for less than $50, closer to $30 for Bob, Jimi Beatles Stones, less for other artists. Those that are the Trade Mark Of Quality label seem to get more, even over $50.

Most guys I know who are serious bootleg collectors are concentrating on CDs now.

Just about every bootlegged Dylan (or Stones, Beatles, Jimi, Doors, CSNY...) track is available on multiple releases on multiple of formats so none should be worth crazy money.

I'm sure I will hear about the exceptions now.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The only ones I really ever pick up if cheap are things like the colored vinyl TMOQ records and whatnot. They do alright on eBay if it's not a heavily policed artist. People must still want them though cause they move quickly in shops around here.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Hey thanks guys!

John, it is the exact one that you posted up.. it is in NM condition, I don't think it has even been played . Maybe I'll throw it on the bay and see what happens.

the vinyl seems like a high quality pressing, however I am on vacation and I don't have access to a record player so it might look good but sound like shit.

the vinyl seems like a high quality pressing, however I am on vacation and I don't have access to a record player so it might look good but sound like shit.

American bootleggers had access to many of the pressing plants in California and other places as the majors, I had read that they would give the guy at the plant some extra $$$ so that they could gain "after hours" access, and these include the labels that had their own pressing plants (Capitol, Columbia/CBS). In many ways, the bootleg albums of the 70's had the same quality control as what was coming out on the major labels, if not better since bootleggers would do 2500 copies or less each time and head out the door, making it possible to monitor the path of the pressing a bit closer than it would to watch something like Frampton Comes Alive[/b].

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

American bootleggers had access to many of the pressing plants in California and other places as the majors, I had read that they would give the guy at the plant some extra $$$ so that they could gain "after hours" access, and these include the labels that had their own pressing plants (Capitol, Columbia/CBS). In many ways, the bootleg albums of the 70's had the same quality control as what was coming out on the major labels, if not better since bootleggers would do 2500 copies or less each time and head out the door, making it possible to monitor the path of the pressing a bit closer than it would to watch something like Frampton Comes Alive[/b].

Though the source tapes were often suspect.

I remember back in the day buying a boot of the concert for Bangladesh. First of all most the music had a legit release. Second the guy with the tape recorder in the crowd was next to a guy who sang along and clapped of beat. I also had a similar Cat Stevens boot back then, similar story. I never bought a boot for myself again until Prince's Black Album. Oh yeah, I also had Great White Hope with like 4 versions of Talking VD Blues.

Though the source tapes were often suspect.

I remember back in the day buying a boot of the concert for Bangladesh. First of all most the music had a legit release. Second the guy with the tape recorder in the crowd was next to a guy who sang along and clapped of beat.

I always wanted to hear that actually, after hearing how bad it was and that the afternoon show, recorded on crude equipment, was quickly as a bootleg (to nobody's benefit). I thought "yeah, I have to hear that!"

As you know, back then people relied on Hot Wacks[/b] to find out about what existed, how the sound quality was, or any of the fanzines/newsletter that helped fans discover what was good and what wasn't. These days it's a lot easier to find out about tape sources and lineage, so if it sounds like crap, very few people will have to suffer through it. Or as they say, "don't taint the pool".