INSIDE PEANUT BUTTER OUTSIDE JELLY

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
post some pics of the rides you're feeling.not necesarily your own ride/s.I always loved the OG 6 series: and rather than fuck it up, I think they brought it back rather lovely:

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Yeah, the new 6's look real nice, although I'm not really feelin' those Mustang lookin fender flares.
    I like simple cars like old Datsuns, BMW 2002's (pre-71) etc. I've always liked the minimal look of the 69-71 Datsun 510. The coolest one I ever worked on was slammed on some old 17" BBS's and had a 240Z straight 6 with the 4 speed and a shortened driveshaft, triple Webber side-drafts and a sweet port and polish job. (this isn't it, that one was yellow)

But what I really want for a nice little project is a 63-67 Notch: (I just noticed this one's got wide-5 BRM's on it too! *drool*) Throw a two liter in with twin IDA's, a semi locker and I could drive that thing like a maniac.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

But what I really want for a nice little project is a 63-67 Notch: (I just noticed this one's got wide-5 BRM's on it too! *drool*) Throw a two liter in with twin IDA's, a semi locker and I could drive that thing like a maniac.

Nice Notchback. If you want an old VW go to http://www.thesamba.com/ if you haven't already.

Here's my 1956 VW. I have always had a thing for "oval window" bugs.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

66 Nova SS

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Here are some VW's I'm feelin' though.

Richard Rivera's 1950 ragtop split window bug that recently sold for $70,000

Cool patina'd 1961 Single Cab that is for sale in the UK right now.

SWEET OVAL! That is a really nice looking photo. It might be the camera angle, but those hubcaps look kinda tiny... is it sitting on an IRS pan? Are you a drop spindle or an adjustable beam lowerer in front?

My first VW was also the one I held on to for the longest, but I've owned 4 myself and been "partial owner" to a few more that were given quickie restos and flipped. Everything I've ever owned was a type I. I've had two '66s, a 68 and a 73 super (ugh). My '68 was sweet, it was a junker when I bought it. Six years and a billion busted knuckles later, it placed at a couple shows

I did the Cal Look resto-custom job to it, built myself a little 1776 w/ dual 40IDF Weber's, etc etc. It was a lot of fun. When I moved for school, I held on to it for a while, and helped start a little club in SD (what is it about southern CA VW people all being meth freaks??) before I couldn't really handle doing the SoCal thing with that as my daily driver. (Something about the welded third and fourth and the stage one clutch made it a NIGHTMARE in SD stop and go traffic,) not to mention those little webber jets clogging constantly [*pop! pop! pop!*]
    I sold it and later had to go check it out in the wrecking yard- the young lady i sold it to crashed it into a dumpster after trying to show off and spin it in a parking lot for some friends- absolutely destroyed the whole front end... oh well. I would like to get back into vee-dubs, but currently lack the garage space.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    1964 Buick Riviera, on bags and custom paint.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    on bags

what does this mean?

knowledge an automobile little dude.

• on bags

what does this mean?

DISCONNECTED!!!

Air Bags. Similar to hydraulics but the system uses air.

• on bags

what does this mean?

• post some pics of the rides you're feeling.

not necesarily your own ride/s.

I always loved the OG 6 series:

and rather than fuck it up, I think they brought it back rather lovely:

Agreed. There's an auto body shop near me where the owner has two un-fuck-wittable OG Sixes parked outside all day every day. The traffic po-po don't dare fuck wit 'em neither. Like I said, they are un-fuck-witt. . . .

Etc

• 1964 Buick Riviera, on bags and custom paint.

This shit is player. Is it yours?

Yeah.

• IMG SRC="http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1970-1979/1970-Plymouth-Hemi-Cuda-Orange-Front-Angle-sy.jpg" WIDTH=700>

'70 Plymouth 'Cuda

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i_rdr/2003/ford6701.jpg" alt="" />

'67 Ford Galaxie 500. More of a friendly cruiser.

http://www.justinssite.com/images/70GSX Front.jpg" alt="" />

'70 Buick Gran Sport GSX

http://www.leola.k12.sd.us/student pages/Austin Schanzenbach/31436892_2.jpg" alt="" />

'68 Dodge Charger. Yes, please.

I could go on...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    post some pics of the rides you're feeling.

however - the trick to the beauty of the OG 6 (in my opinion) is the forward slanted grille (plus its super clean lines). that aggro angle is key. that new red thing is indeed impressive but i feel its body panels are too busy and having a reference to that old 6's grill angle would have been cool.

personally, i love these:

but i dont own nuthin of the sort.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I always wanted one of these.

how does it drive?

SWEET OVAL! That is a really nice looking photo. It might be the camera angle, but those hubcaps look kinda tiny... is it sitting on an IRS pan? Are you a drop spindle or an adjustable beam lowerer in front?

Thanks! I took the picture at the bridge right at sunset and got cool lighting through the trees. The hubcaps are stock and it is on the original 1956 pan. Just about everything is original on my car. When I bought the car it only had 67,000 miles on it. The front is lowered with an adjustable front lift beam though. I like the look of the slightly raked front end.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    post some pics of the rides you're feeling.

however - the trick to the beauty of the OG 6 (in my opinion) is the forward slanted grille (plus its super clean lines). that aggro angle is key. that new red thing is indeed impressive but i feel its body panels are too busy and having a reference to that old 6's grill angle would have been cool.

That red 6 is some custom street racer shit, the ones you can buy at a regular BMW dealership don't have that mustang-style scoop on the side and they look a lot nicer in colors like black and silver.

Here goes a nice and clean silver 6 series:

IMG SRC="http://www.carpw.com/pictures/bmw/Hartge_645Ci_51_2005_1.jpg" WIDTH=650>

Thanks! I took the picture at the bridge right at sunset and got cool lighting through the trees. The hubcaps are stock and it is on the original 1956 pan. Just about everything is original on my car. When I bought the car it only had 67,000 miles on it. The front is lowered with an adjustable front lift beam though. I like the look of the slightly raked front end.
    I should have clarified- I thought from that angle that the caps looked too tiny to be wide-5 hubcaps, making them the 4-luggers and thus, on an IRS. It's obvious from the (classic!) hubcap-reflection shot you've got the old swing pan, which is as it should be!
    And yes- I've never met a VW that doesn't look better lowered
    I had the adj. beam w/ a 2" drop spindle on that '68... When I would lower it for shows, I swear I could roll a golf ball down the street with the front bumper on that thing. sigh. I need another Volkswagen...

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

I always wanted one of these.

how does it drive?

It aint winning any races but its super solid. Great for kicking around the city.