I'm too lazy to look up the Air Jordan's thread

JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
in case any of you sneaker heads haven't heard.Dime mag just sent this one out-
Dime Family,We wanted to hit you with a quick heads up: Nike has a new collection that dropped this weekend inspired by Major Taylor, one of the first African American superstar athletes. A dominant cyclist in the late 1800's and early 1900's, Major Taylor paved the way for future Black athletes in all sports.The line features a Dunk, Blazer, Air Max 90, and a Cortez. All of which are dope. The supplies are big-time limited and here's how to get them:Eastbay has just launched a members-only sneaker boutique called "The Eastbay Vault," and all of our Dime readers are getting free instant access. The Eastbay Vault opened on Saturday featuring the entire Major Taylor Collection.Memberships to The Vault are going to be limited, so we highly suggest you sign up today.The site is http://eastbayvault.com-Dime

Comments

• ill take all of em except the Cortez..i'll let one of you L.A. strutters take those.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Earthtones + neon green = nagl

b/w

people still wear cortez?

• my bad, but what the fuck do those shoes have to do w/ Major Taylor? are those colors designed w/ anything in mind except what will match your new era fitted?

don't get me wrong, the shoes are aiight, but nike making money off of dead legends?

maybe if part of the proceeds were going to a cycling scholarship or grant, but c'mon.

kinda...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Ewwww, that green is ugly.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i dont get it? is this supposed to be news or something?

nikes are borderline cornball now with the exception of mabye some blazers.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The overall shift towards turd colors in sneakers is NAGL in general.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

IMO, Blazers are probably one of the corniest sneakers they make right now (at least in the retro class). A lot of their popular retro kicks are timeless (dunk, air force 1, air max 90), it's just that a lot of the colors they do are questionable/corny, but that's because they're trying to appeal to corny fashion trneds in general, just as any successful company would try to do. But they still drop the simple and clean joints every now and again and there's nothing corny about them, and the design of these shoes hasn't changed. Popularity doesn't = corny to me. Just gotta know how to work it, like BATMON would say.

• Options

my bad, but what the fuck do those shoes have to do w/ Major Taylor? are those colors designed w/ anything in mind except what will match your new era fitted?

don't get me wrong, the shoes are aiight, but nike making money off of dead legends?

maybe if part of the proceeds were going to a cycling scholarship or grant, but c'mon.

kinda...

I'm with you on this, but how do you know some money isn't going to Major Taylor's descendants for using his name? Just a thought.

I like those 90's but will pass. Never heard of Major Tayor until this, and I keep getting him mixed up with Major Harris

• people still wear cortez?

hell yes, ese.

• Options

people still wear cortez?

hell yes, ese.

Fuck yeah laddy!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Those Dunks are in my hood. And they are certified FRESH!!!!!.

The Earftone + Neon works. They look better than many of the plastic looking Dunks that Nike has dropped.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

IMO, Blazers are probably one of the corniest sneakers they make right now (at least in the retro class). A lot of their popular retro kicks are timeless (dunk, air force 1, air max 90), it's just that a lot of the colors they do are questionable/corny, but that's because they're trying to appeal to corny fashion trneds in general, just as any successful company would try to do. But they still drop the simple and clean joints every now and again and there's nothing corny about them, and the design of these shoes hasn't changed. Popularity doesn't = corny to me. Just gotta know how to work it, like BATMON would say.

thats cool and all, but nike hasnt really been coming with any heat for mabye a year solid now. Vans has been dropping some fire however.

• Cortez is the only nike shoe i would ever wear.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Man, you'd think Nike only made 4 pairs of shoes in their entire history wouldn't you? There are so many good shoes that they could retro/quick strike, but they're clearly just happy to rinse every cent out of the hipster crowd who want nothing more than am90/dunks/af1's.

Not to mention those colors...