The Thing Appreciation

thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I don't know the Howard Hawks o.g., but the remake is a tie with Escape From New York as my favourite John Carpenter movie, and I say this as someone who went to every late night showing of Assault On Precinct 13 he could get to for about two years. I've been rockin' the R.J. McCready look for a minute now, too. Great Morricone soundtrack as well.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I don't know the Howard Hawks o.g., but the remake is a tie with Escape From New York as my favourite John Carpenter movie, and I say this as someone who went to every late night showing of Assault On Precinct 13 he could get to for about two years. I've been rockin' the R.J. McCready look for a minute now, too. Great Morricone soundtrack as well.

Best Carpenter?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be about the VW Thing.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    my favorite Carpenter is Big Trouble.

But they're (almost) all great.

The Thing is the rare (RAER!) re-make that betters the OG.

Carpenter is the man.

I think there was a Carpenter appreciation thread a few months back (I may have started it?)....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think there was a Carpenter appreciation thread a few months back (I may have started it?)....

don't be taking my credit bitch

I will destroy you

two time!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Fucking great movie.

They Live is my pick though

• The Thing is the rare (RAER!) re-make that betters the OG.

that music is so key.

don't be taking my credit bitch

I will destroy you

two time!

"Guzzo's Carpenter Appreciation Thread: So great it coulda been Rootlesscosmo's"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Best Carpenter?

I have to say that I've only seen They Live a few times, but it's a great picture. I think I remember seeing some Carpenter docu at one point where he said he wanted to cast Kurt Russell in the lead for that, too, but he wasn't available, so he went for Rowdy Roddy Piper instead. Good though I think Russell would have been, Roddy adds a slightly oddball touch to it that really suited the subject matter.

• dude is prolific. all these here are classics! speaking of which i just rented "the monster squad" last nite. they re-released it with a extra disc and shit. anyways, its corny but i love that flick!

• dude is prolific. all these here are classics! speaking of which i just rented "the monster squad" last nite. they re-released it with a extra disc and shit. anyways, its corny but i love that flick!

Wolfman has 'nards?

Wolfman has 'nards?

yup. and according to the 2nd disc of extras, Fat Kid died in 1997.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be about the Brooklyn record spot.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    dude is prolific. all these here are classics! speaking of which i just rented "the monster squad" last nite. they re-released it with a extra disc and shit. anyways, its corny but i love that flick!

Wolfman has 'nards?

"It's your last chance for pie"

Another Catch Phrase

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be about the VW Thing.

haha, same here

Hell yes! The Thing is my flick. Have seen it three times in the past few months. Like it better than Alien, partly due to the crude fx.

The Thing toy

^^^^ ^^^^

HOW CAN I BE DOWN.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    my favorite Carpenter is Big Trouble.

just listened to this commentary today, well worth the time. carpenter/russell kill it on all thier commenteries to these flicks.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Hell yes! The Thing is my flick. Have seen it three times in the past few months. Like it better than Alien, partly due to the crude fx.

The Thing toy

That toy almost makes me want to collect figurines.

Have to disagree on the crude fx - always thought The Thing's use of real time special effects, wherever possible, over stop motion was one of the things that gave it it's bite - made the creature in all it's forms (apart from, perhaps, the over blown last incantation) seem far more real. Stan Winston's involvement definitely helped them reach a new level in body horror.

Believe the movie surpasses the original and one of the peaks in that amazing run of movies from Dark Star to They Live (excluding Christine).

Oh yeah, Kurt Russell in Carpenter movies =

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts