Hey, does that Matthew Cassell Lp even exist?

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Man, I cannot find a thing about this album out there. Outside of the comped track this guy is virtually ungooglable. A year and a half ago I found an ended auction with a posthumously named trio, but since then, nada.I assumed there'd be quite a stir about it after K&A debuted it, a flooding if you will of the virtual terrain, but unless I've missed a bunch of auctions this Lp is still flying under the radar. Am I just on the wrong coast here, any left coasters seen this one about? Man, this album has to be fire, I know it.

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Didn't someone post an LP of his in the weekend finds a week or so ago?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    From Kon interview:
    It kicks off with the dreamy folk funk of Matthew Larkin Cassell???s ???In My Life,??? which, it turns out, is Kon???s favorite vintage-record find of the bunch: ???He???s a cool dude. He???s now a teacher in California and he surfs.??? Kon had heard of the private-press recording but couldn???t find it anywhere. (And that means anywhere.) So he had an idea. ???A friend of mine works at Warner Bros. and has access to publishing, so he looked him up and wrote him a pretty charming letter and got in touch with him. And I was like, ???Yo, pass that info and then I can hit him up.??? And I took it to another level and got to acquire the masters, worked a deal out to launch this guy???s stuff. I got my record directly from him. He???s a good guy, a down-to-earth dude. . . . I just want to get his music as far out as it can go. That???s my thing.???

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Man, I cannot find a thing about this album out there. Outside of the comped track this guy is virtually ungooglable.

A year and a half ago I found an ended auction with a posthumously named trio, but since then, nada.

I assumed there'd be quite a stir about it after K&A debuted it, a flooding if you will of the virtual terrain, but unless I've missed a bunch of auctions this Lp is still flying under the radar. Am I just on the wrong coast here, any left coasters seen this one about? Man, this album has to be fire, I know it.

Have you read this already?

-pj

• Watch the stepfather DVD for footage of me finding the MC catalogue under a bridge in Mexico City years ago. I had no idea anyone cared until just recently.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Yeah, I have it.

It was a secret squirrel of mine years before it "blew up." I remember sending the break to Sketcherillo via Soulseek BITD.

• Paging Morse Code.

• Paging Mike Bell City

• He has 2 lps(Pieces, Matt the Cat) and a p/s 45.

Matt came up to my weekly radio show for an on-air interview about a year ago, right after the BBE joint dropped. Cool as fuck dude with a great perspective on all this renewed interest in his work. I think there are still plans for a vinyl release/remix of some cuts. He also just finished a new track w/ his drummer Jimmy Hobson called "Suddenly" that picks up right where he left off years ago. Kon probably has more info on these projects.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Thanks for all the info and links, dudes. It is much appreciated!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

• :got it:

Decent record. I've had this lp for a long time, was surprised to see anyone checking for it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This thread is amazing, just that every cat on here is like
    "oh yeah, been had that shit - didn't know people were checking"

... unless it's some Rulon Jones style shenanigans

• Man, that's a straight community thrift style record.

(check for 'em nestled up with OLIVIA)

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    This thread is amazing, just that every cat on here is like
    "oh yeah, been had that shit - didn't know people were checking"

... unless it's some Rulon Jones style shenanigans

I definately don't have it.....but have heard the matt the catt one. would love to hear the others, especially the 45.

-pj

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I was offered the "in my life" LP twice in Japan, once for $200 and another time for $150. I passed it up both times.... kinda regret it... the dude found the copies on a road trip up the west coast... he called it "his discovery" and "very secret"... haha

peace.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Like lambert, I'm really suprised that this still doesn't seemt o have popped up ONCE on the 'bay since it's been "blown up" on the BBE comp. I been keeping my eye out for it too. I'd be really suprised if it goes for less than 4 figures when a copy does finally make its way for sale.

Is the rest of the record really average?

Like lambert, I'm really suprised that this still doesn't seemt o have popped up ONCE on the 'bay since it's been "blown up" on the BBE comp. I been keeping my eye out for it too. I'd be really suprised if it goes for less than 4 figures when a copy does finally make its way for sale.

Is the rest of the record really average?

Four figures would be dope. I still wouldn't sell being that they got emotional value sorta (Matt sent them to me himself after I wrote him). Also because they're fucking great albums. They're relatively simple.....but have such awesome soft jazz rock shit on em - and his voice is so dope to me. These records are far from average. And good luck finding them in the dollar bin wedged "next to some olivia joint" - I've never seen one for sale, and up until Kon put it on BBE - never heard of anyone ever finding one or knowing about it (beside 1, maybe 2 people on this board - from years ago).

My bust.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Pretty sure sampled it too

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    These records are far from average. And good luck finding them in the dollar bin wedged "next to some olivia joint"

You're right. I found mine in the quarter bin. Coincidentally, it was at the same thrift store I found that Baba Yaga LP.

These records are far from average. And good luck finding them in the dollar bin wedged "next to some olivia joint"

You're right. I found mine in the quarter bin. Coincidentally, it was at the same thrift store I found that Baba Yaga LP.

Strange....quite a few people got it from this site....even though there are only 500 of em. I guess if you're on the west coast though - you'd have better luck.

• These records are far from average. And good luck finding them in the dollar bin wedged "next to some olivia joint"

I said NESTLED

Literally: between two Mary Watkins.

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
    the heaven track

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Why are strutters sweating this record? Are you dudes getting into SSW?