Outkast

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
What's so wrong with "The Love Below/Speakerboxxx"? Maybe you hate Andre's record. Big Boi's lp is still a damn good Outkast record. Throw on the four songs from the other one that might make an Outkast record and there you go.Am I completely out of touch or did "Idlewild" movie and soundtrack barely make a ripple. I've never even heard that record. The movie keeps comin on cable.....guess I should Tivo it. This is the enthusiasm I feel though. Why is that?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Am I completely out of touch or did "Idlewild" movie and soundtrack barely make a ripple. I've never even heard that record.

It's not bad... but it's not an Outkast album.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    idlewild had some really good songs (morris brown and hollywood divorce come to mind immediately) but it also had a lot of garbage on it.

idlewild had some really good songs (morris brown and hollywood divorce come to mind immediately) but it also had a lot of garbage on it.

Most of Andre's contributions could've been left off.

I really like the two tracks with Janelle Monet (whomever she might be).

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

she also had two tracks on the second purple ribbon all-stars. i think she was supposed to put out an album for a minute but i dont know what happened with that.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    and big boi don't even need andre now that he's getting that "who's your caddy" money.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I like The Love Below. I'm not ashamed. It's also nice to hear him rapping again on things like Walk It Out, International Players, and Devin's 'What a Job."

I picked up an ep samplr of Idlewild, but haven't really listened to it all that much. I could say that about the majority of records I've bought in the past year. A messy room makes it hard to even remember where anything is.

• idlewild had some really good songs (morris brown and hollywood divorce come to mind immediately) but it also had a lot of garbage on it.

Yeah I ride for Janelle Monae. Her "Lettin Go" song as well as the Scar track to the Purple Ribbon All-Stars are king kufi classics. At the right party they get people dancing.

Speaking of which I picked up the Sleepy Brown album today, it's not that great. Not terrible but not that great. THe best song to me is probally Margarita.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I actually listened to "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" the other day and found it was still pretty good.

As for "Morris Brown" it was hastily put together and it wasn't a true Outkast record, but it did have some of the best songs of the year ("Morris Brown", "Hollywood Divorce", "Peaches" & "The Train" come to mind.)

Scar is that dude.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I like The Love Below. I'm not ashamed.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Speakerboxxx/The Love Below holds up. I listened to it more times in the first week after I bought it than I've listened to Idlewild in the entire time since I bought that. I've not seen the movie, but for me the album was a bit of a mis-step. I kinda agree with faux that it's not really an Outkast album, although some people said that about S/TLB as well.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I like The Love Below. I'm not ashamed. It's also nice to hear him rapping again on things like Walk It Out, International Players, and Devin's 'What a Job."

I picked up an ep samplr of Idlewild, but haven't really listened to it all that much. I could say that about the majority of records I've bought in the past year. A messy room makes it hard to even remember where anything is.

I never understood the hate on Love Below. Still enjoy it!

• Count me in the "dug The Love Below" camp as well.

• I hated it for a while but it grew on me. Still can't listen to it too often but I enjoy it more. I am still mad at Andre for not rapping. Peace, 'check . . .

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah i am still not a big fan of the love below, speakerboxx had some good tracks tho for sure.

• "Andre, this is Andre/Y'all is just gon' have to make amends..."

• "She lives in my lap" is a classic.

• Neither of these records really stand up on their own although The Love Below does better mainly because of its novelty.

Easily the worst OutKast record... and I did enjoy it but feel very little impetus to return to it the way I do their previous records.

• Neither of these records really stand up on their own although The Love Below does better mainly because of its novelty.

Easily the worst OutKast record... and I did enjoy it but feel very little impetus to return to it the way I do their previous records.

I tried a few times to craft a rebuttal here but you're basically right. Maybe you are selling short the "thump" factor of "Speakerboxxx". i.e., in the whip

• "In the whip" is about the only time I played Speakerboxxx. Big Boi had some joints for sure but there was way too much unnecessary baggage.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    IMO, that may not count!!
    Being a fellow Atlien, OUTKAST is done!!
    Andre is done rapping & Big Boi......
    They have some classic songs/albums but nothing can remain the same.

"She lives in my lap" is a classic.

^^^^^Flagrant abuse of "classic"

Andre is done rapping

Where have you been the past eight months?

HELL NO!

I've BEEN seeing that joint played at a lot of parties and it's gotten people open. Women love that track (and i'm not talking about becky's and shit).

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

More songs could use some Rosario Dawson.

- spidey

• More songs GP could use some Rosario Dawson.

- spidey

HELL NO!

I've BEEN seeing that joint played at a lot of parties and it's gotten people open. Women love that track (and i'm not talking about becky's and shit).

Expansive use of "a lot" and "parties" = hearing this played in San Francisco at casual gatherings a few times when it came out

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

More songs GP could use some Rosario Dawson.

- spidey

Sayin!

- spidey

HELL NO!

Expansive use of "a lot" and "parties" = hearing this played in San Francisco at casual gatherings a few times when it came out

come on, parties where people attend and not some "yo im playing the cocktail lounge at a hotel from 1:20-9:17" ish.

• I was talking more about "come by my apartment on Stanyan I'm having a little get together"

HELL NO!

come on, parties where people attend and not some "yo im playing the cocktail lounge at a hotel from 1:20-9:17" ish.

Can we get a ruling from deej on the boy's usage of "parties"?