i DJed for the first time last night.

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
it was a lot of fun! everyone was dancing, girl who works at the place was like "you have to do my dance party next time", great experience. a few beginners mistakes were made, a record started skipping and stuff but overall a good experience. makes me wanna buy my own equipment and start practicing.what were you guys' first experience out like? good? bad? horrible? dont wanna even talk about it?

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    For the love of all things Holy, don't do it!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    first time evar djing... felt like i was gonna throw up. got drunk. don't remember it. i was told I did ok.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    DJing is a blast and very addictive...Congrats on your first gig!

• REEEEEEEEEEEEEEMIIIIIIIIXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN MY DAY IT WAS A LOT HARDER!

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    My first gig was hillarious - I blagged a gig in a bar I got drunk in 'cause the dj playing was shit. I came back the next night with mellow jazz/soul stuff only to be told that it was a public holiday the next day and I'd need to play "up" stuff. I raced home and filled some bags with whatever I could and did my best. They said they'd only need me for an hour, but two other dj's didn't rock up so I wound up playing for five hours! I got asked to play weekly after that, which was nice. I didn't even own two turntables at that time, so it was a great way to learn. My biggest fuckup that night was trying to do the old record-slows-down-slowly trick, only I pressed STOP on the 1200 instead of killing the power. I learnt after that at least!

Good stuff Ako, if your djing is half as good as your producing you'll be fine!

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Supported Fingathing for my first gig, there was literally no one there because i was on first and it sucked, the good thing was i got free drinks, the bad was i got realy drunk and got really lost walking home with a heavy record bag.
    Decided not to DJ again...

• My first time sucked. I was nerve-racked, and wasn't used to be hackled (play something i can dance to, etc). blah blah blah it got better, but now i don't do it anymores cuz i am lazy.

• Good stuff Ako, if your djing is half as good as your producing you'll be fine!

Careful man, making people dance is highly addictive.
    My first time DJing to somebody other than a room of close friends was at a house party in Worcester MA to a living room packed with about 75 liberal arts undergrads drunk on keg beer and jungle juice, who went nuts for just about anything I played. I miss that shit.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    first place i djed was a rather large house party, normally i get all nervous in front of a lot of people but i did fine. a little shakey here and there, but it went over well. i dj when im asked, i dont actively seek out events or anything.

last thing i did was at school and was surprisingly lots of fun b/c it was put on by people i know and it was for a culture club i think. so i felt most at home at this one being able to play music of different cultures/parts of the world. everyone got down and that feels real nice when that happens.

addictive is correct.

congrats

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

last thing i did was at school and was surprisingly lots of fun b/c it was put on by people i know and it was for a culture club i think.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    first time i dj'ed was two weeks ago for a friends bday at some bar in hollywood
    she's an eastsider who doesn't love hip hop
    problem was some cute latina chick was there for her bday and wanted "something to dance to... you know, like hip hop or something"
    dance floor still got moving a lil bit and it was, as someone mentioned, a very fun time and addictive

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    the first time i djed was like 8 years ago. I had tables for like 3 months and there was a battle of the djs competition at this big club around my place. I said fuck it and joined up. Turned out all the other djs played crazy trance music and i was hitting people with like cypress hill and wutang, mixed extremely bad. It was ridiculous. I also didnt know how to work the clubs dj booth system and could not get monitors till halfway thru my set. Clowned myself hardcore.

I vowed not to dj again for a long long time and to never let that shit happen like that again. Stayed in and practiced heavily for a year then did a bar and destroyed it. Got booked 2 times a week for 8 months. Im happy i did that gig cause it humbled me like a motherfucker. Showed me you have to really practice and get your shit together before you go out in public. But man that was a pretty depressing night.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    First tiem I djed in club was about 3 weeks ago. It was 12 DJ night and I was the last "hip hop" dj before the house djs stepped up. I only had 1/2 an hour so I played a lot of school jams and finished on some electro-ish stuff.

It was loads of fun. But the best reward was later that weekend when my sisters boyfriend was talking to a random workmate about his weekend. Turned out this random was there and said I was by far the best dj of the whole night. jyeah!

I have done several house parties before that however, and in two weeks i'm doing a paid 21st for a mate's sister and they are always loads of fun but you have to be sure not to get too drunk or you'll end up with reocrds all over the place.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

last thing i did was at school and was surprisingly lots of fun b/c it was put on by people i know and it was for a culture club i think.

hahaha i knew that was coming

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    my only 'gig' was in '92, playing in-between sets at a rock show at the alligator lounge in west LA. there was about 12 bands on the bill and someone put my name on the flyer as "DJ Cock" which was hysterical and made people think it was like a gay disco thing or something.
    Anyway i had zero deep crates, just a random rock-heavy assortment of Sabbath, Pretenders, Sly, etc and some goofy novelty records which i tried to make transitions with. Major fuckups everywhere but no one cared becuz it was a rock show with a bar. i was very nearly attacked after i played "a little bit country" by donnie and marie after a country/rock band called Boys Named Sue. they were really mad at me.
    after the show the owner was like "can you come back next week? we need someone who picks good songs like you do." but i never took them up on it for reasons i cannot recall.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The first time I djed, I dropped Jurassic 5's Quality Control. Before I dropped it, I got so excited that everyone was gonna go bananas, that I actually got a boner...

• Options
    First time I dj'ed was a backyard party in a normally quiet neighborhood. We played so loud and so late that all of a sudden a bunch of cop cars came rolling up with the lights on, this was around 1-2 in the morning. But it was a LOT of cop cars and their lights were blaring...not normal...then the ambulance came screaming down the block...also a bit strange.

Turned out the elderly neighbor was so rattled and angry by the loud noise that he had a heart attack and died. We turned it down after that.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    The first time I djed, I dropped Jurassic 5's Quality Control. Before I dropped it, I got so excited that everyone was gonna go bananas, that I actually got a boner...

HAHAHAA