Akira Kurosawa Appreciation Thread (nrr)

bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm not sure if there's already been a Kurosawa Appreciation Thread, but I've been a fan for close to ten years now and never am short of blown away with his films. A true master in film. Just saw Yojimbo and loved it and about to see Throne of Blood and Sanjuro. Here are some current favorites: What are your favorites?ez.

Comments

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    yeah seven samurai is pretty much unfuckwithable and was my favorite for a long time. then came dreams and I was completely blown away. then i saw yojimbo.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I watched Dodesukaden last week (not too great) and minutes ago I put Stray Dog in the DVD player so of course I had to answer. My favorite is probably Ikiru, Dersu Uzala is up there too. Obviously his finest samurai films are just as good, but I guess I just prefer the more earthy stuff.

has anyone seen "the sea is watching"? i believe it was picked up after kurosawa had passed away, but thought it was really well done and kept in the same spirit as his films.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Ran is probably my favorite. Though I like is Noir work like The Bad Sleep Well and Stray Dog.

Seven Samurai is top notch though.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Great Topic...I really enjoy RAN and Dreams....BTW, there is a CD of soundtrack music by Toru Takematsu (sp?)....he did some musical score work for Kurosawa. It is a real interesting listen. I would recommend it.

nice. thanks for that.

ez.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

saw it yesterday. absolutely great

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts

My favorite short film is the one with the four guys ( I think there are four guys, it s been awhile since i have seen it ) who are trap by a snow blizzard. That shit is

• novecentonovecento 20 Posts

My favorite short film is the one with the four guys ( I think there are four guys, it s been awhile since i have seen it ) who are trap by a snow blizzard. That shit is

there's a scene much similar to that in 'Dersu Uzala'. it's a russian co-production taking place in siberia in 1907 and it's a fantastic movie, recommended

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Ran is probably my favorite. Though I like is Noir work like The Bad Sleep Well and Stray Dog.

Seven Samurai is top notch though.

have you seen high and low? prolly his best detective flick in my opinion. tho mifune in a white suit and newsie hat in stray dog is sooper pimpin.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

have you seen high and low? prolly his best detective flick in my opinion. tho mifune in a white suit and newsie hat in stray dog is sooper pimpin.

HELLZ YEAH i love the train scene and junkie alley is kinda wtf cause it's the 60s but it could well be 2007. high and low is one of my favorites. i also like mifune in The Bad Sleep Well cause he's frigid and intimidatingly quiet on the outside and turns out to be caring and kinda sexy on the inside. yeah kurosawa is alright

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    my brother got me a japanese poster from 7 samurai when he was last in jp and i am v. much a kurosawa advocate. most watched tho = stray dog and rashomon

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just wrote this long post, and it somehow was deleted..

AAAH FRUSTRATING.

Suffice to say, I love Kurosawa.

- spidey

damn, thats one of the hardest shorts to watch in that movie (that and the mutated human sequence). the 'water mill people' short was my favorite, though.

gotta watch the rest of the flicks you all mentioned. haven't gotten into any of the noir flicks yet, but most definitely will soon.

ez.

kg.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I know everybody rides for Seven Samurai, but of his samurai ones I gotta go with Yojimbo as THE best, perhaps best of its genre. Mifune is a bad ass. Also liked Hidden Fortress.

Plus for the Shakespeare inspired, Throne of Blood

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    What do you guys think about the anime series that came out about two years ago ( i think ) called samurai 7? I thought it was

• Plus for the Shakespeare inspired, Throne of Blood

great macbeth adaptation.toshiro is the man

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just a reminder about Kurosawa every Tuesday night in March on TCM.

Yojimbo is on right now.

Side note:

Anyone order one?

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/678-ak-100-25-films-by-akira-kurosawa
    http://www.amazon.com/AK-100-Kurosawa-Cr...;tag=gmgamzn-20

• my brother got me a japanese poster from 7 samurai when he was last in jp and i am v. much a kurosawa advocate. most watched tho = stray dog and rashomon

"We are absolutely certain it is authentic."

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-SEVEN-SAMURAI-JA...=item27a78a0457