Ronnie Barron-Reverend Ether LP

TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I found Ronnie Barron's Reverend Ether LP (1971 Decca) a couple years ago and was blown away. There's not much info about it on the web - but I don't think it's too rare. It basically sounds like a really funky/soulful Dr. John album, but IMO better than any Dr. John album that I've heard (and I'm a Dr. John fan).The only thing I found that was useful online (besides an expensive Japanese reissue of the album on CD) was this:http://homeofthegroove.blogspot.com/2005/05/reverend-ether.htmlAccording to the info there, basically Ronnie Barron and Mac Rebennack (Dr. John) played together for a while in the early 60s - Ronnie was the main vocalist and on piano and Mac was the leader of the band and played guitar. Later on in L.A. ronnie was offered and could have "played" the Dr. John role in Mac Rebennack's band, but his manager recommended he not (bad career advice if I've ever heard it). Interesting stuff.Anyway - for those who dig funky NOLA music, lookout for this album. It's one of my favorite N.O. LPs. Anyone else up on this album?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I found Ronnie Barron's Reverend Ether LP (1971 Decca) a couple years ago and was blown away. There's not much info about it on the web - but I don't think it's too rare. It basically sounds like a really funky/soulful Dr. John album, but IMO better than any Dr. John album that I've heard (and I'm a Dr. John fan).

The only thing I found that was useful online (besides an expensive Japanese reissue of the album on CD) was this:

http://homeofthegroove.blogspot.com/2005/05/reverend-ether.html

According to the info there, basically Ronnie Barron and Mac Rebennack (Dr. John) played together for a while in the early 60s - Ronnie was the main vocalist and on piano and Mac was the leader of the band and played guitar. Later on in L.A. ronnie was offered and could have "played" the Dr. John role in Mac Rebennack's band, but his manager recommended he not (bad career advice if I've ever heard it). Interesting stuff.

Anyway - for those who dig funky NOLA music, lookout for this album. It's one of my favorite N.O. LPs. Anyone else up on this album?

I have it, and except for the part about it being better than Dr. John himself, I agree - great record, especially when he goes into those weird falsetto bits. Barron was still active up until his death in 1997.

As far as him almost being Dr. John, I think there's more to the story. After Mac Rebennack assumed that name, Barron quickly saw the error of his ways and christened himself Rev. Ether, recording a single under that name on the Et-Cet-Era label in 1970 (distributed by Atlantic). After that 45 came and went, he pressed on to Decca, where he recorded the album we're talking about now. One of the songs on the Et-Cet-Era single ("1862 B.P.") wound up on the Decca LP, although I don't know if its the same version.

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts

I have it, and except for the part about it being better than Dr. John himself, I agree - great record, especially when he goes into those weird falsetto bits. Barron was still active up until his death in 1997.

As far as him almost being Dr. John, I think there's more to the story. After Mac Rebennack assumed that name, Barron quickly saw the error of his ways and christened himself Rev. Ether, recording a single under that name on the Et-Cet-Era label in 1970 (distributed by Atlantic). After that 45 came and went, he pressed on to Decca, where he recorded the album we're talking about now. One of the songs on the Et-Cet-Era single ("1862 B.P.") wound up on the Decca LP, although I don't know if its the same version.

I wish there was more info on it. Searching online I found this tid bit from Wikipedia (which is probably worthless, like a lot of Wikipedia entries):

"Barron met Rebennack in 1958, and performed with him at several venues around New Orleans. During that period, Barron created the Reverend Ether persona to satisfy audiences who were primarily interested in entertainers. Rebennack was so impressed with the gimmick, that he wanted Barron to become Dr. John[1]. Barron was hired by Sonny and Cher in 1965, and relocated to California from Louisiana to become a session musician, and in the process, Barron left behind the Reverend Ether character with Rebennack [1]."

Anyway, I don't think he's better than Dr. John overall, but I do think this album is as good as any single Dr. John album that's out there.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Was he in Butterfield's Better Days?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Was he in Butterfield's Better Days?

Yes, he was. He was also in some edition of Canned Heat - well after their commercial prime - but I don't know if he was on any of the albums.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    who is kenny barron by the way? what about this muse record?

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    Here's a couple rips from my rekkid. From my iTunes library to yours:

Duke Of Crenshaw

Eighteen Sixty Two b.p.