Daptone

oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Now that they're getting more exposure via Amy and Ronson, is there anywhere (besides their site) where I can see a detailed history of what they've done in their various incarnations?The one time I saw them w/ Sharon Jones is one of the best concerts I've evet seen.

Comments

• I don't know, but I was pretty surprised to hear "Pick It Up, Lay It In The Cut" on a Kraft salad dressing commercial recently!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Did Sharon Jones have a "career" before she became the new Soul favorite?

And if so, how many of u dudes were coppin that shit and waiting for her to be recognized?

Just wondering.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I don't know, but I was pretty surprised to hear "Pick It Up, Lay It In The Cut" on a Kraft salad dressing commercial recently!

???? i wish i had tv.

yesterday my co-worker was playing that one song...i wish i remembered the title "how long do i have to wait for you darlin" or whatever, anyway she was getting stoked on it about how it was her new favorite, i was like "oh did you rip my CD with both the sharon jones albums that i left here?" and shes like "what?! i didnt even know you had that."

later she told me she was surprised because one of her friends was playing that track at a dance party and everybody was rocking out to it

sharon jones blowin up a few years after the fact? weird.

• Did Sharon Jones have a "career" before she became the new Soul favorite?

And if so, how many of u dudes were coppin that shit and waiting for her to be recognized?

Just wondering.

Wax Poetics did a pretty thorough article on her a while ago, but short answer: she didn't have a recording career prior to her stuff on Daptone (unlike Lee Fields and Charles Bradley). She was a wedding band singer for awhile too, even after the Daptone stuff started hitting. I kind of doubt she has to do that now.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Just wondering.

Wax Poetics did a pretty thorough article on her a while ago, but short answer: she didn't have a recording career prior to her stuff on Daptone (unlike Lee Fields and Charles Bradley). She was a wedding band singer for awhile too, even after the Daptone stuff started hitting. I kind of doubt she has to do that now.

Although she did put out a couple of 45s on Desco, prior to Daptone.

Just wondering.

Although she did put out a couple of 45s on Desco, prior to Daptone.

Right, my bad. I should have said the Desco/Daptone fold.

Just wondering.

Didn't she work as a prison gaurd on Rikers Island or something !?!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Just wondering.

Didn't she work as a prison gaurd on Rikers Island or something !?!
    Yeah, I read that somewhere too. I also thought I read about her contributing vocals to some dance music tracks at some point.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Now that they're getting more exposure via Amy and Ronson, is there anywhere (besides their site) where I can see a detailed history of what they've done in their various incarnations?

If you can get your hands on back issues of Big Daddy and Grand Slam, there were numerous interviews and articles with Desco/Soul Fire/Daptone folks. Gabe Roth had a great series on how they do production. If nobody else knows off the top of their head, I can go into the library and figure out which issues have what.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Gabe Roth had a great series on how they do production.
    Was that the same issue that had, as inspiration for making music, a picture of a bag of weed and tequila?

• she just shot a movie with denzel and forrest whitaker this summer. coming out in december.
    she plays a....... (wait for it).......
    a singer!