Who are the most POETIC MCs in hip hop please?

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
So I made friends with one of the creators of Poetry Out Loud, which is that 10 volume hippie freakout thing from 1969-1977. If you ever see these, pick them up; they will melt your face. Anyway he asked, and I didn't want to front, about who in hip hop, past or present, he would respond to as a 60-year-old poet in love with LANGUAGE. Right away I thought of Gil Scott-Heron (I know), Q-Tip & Mos Def, but with my extremely limited interest in hip hop (sorry everybody) it was hard to come up with other names that would appeal to HIM. So I'm looking for some consensus about this. Thanks everybody.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Common's delivery is very close to spoken word style.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've always thought of Posdenous from De La Soul to have a poetic flow

All the memebers of Digable Planets did as well

and don't forget the gawd Rakim Allah

• if i told someone i was interested in language and he told me to listen to digable fucking planets i would probably make it a point to vomit in that person's face next time i saw him

beard boy, tell your man to listen to juelz and cam'ron... very few comping diplomatic linguistics.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    if i told someone i was interested in language and he told me to listen to digable fucking planets i would probably make it a point to vomit in that person's face next time i saw him

I agree. Puma does not rhyme with momma for shit.

Some will disagree (NOT ARCHAIC), but I think your dude might be into some of Aceyalone's stuff. I mean, he does recite Jabberwocky.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    beard boy, tell your man to listen to juelz and cam'ron... very few comping diplomatic linguistics.
    you beat me to it. If this dude really loves language then these 2 are the ones to watch for. The shit they do w/ the english language is trully avant-garde.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    you beat me to it. If this dude really loves language then these 2 are the ones to watch for. The shit they do w/ the english language is trully avant-garde.

hahahaha please. Dipset?

you beat me to it. If this dude really loves language then these 2 are the ones to not to watch for. The shit they do w/ the english language is trully sad.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    if i told someone i was interested in language and he told me to listen to digable fucking planets i would probably make it a point to vomit in that person's face next time i saw him

What? They be to poetry what key be to lock!

Actually, if I told somebody I was interested in rap and they then tried to engage me on the subject of its "poetic" aspects, I think I would vomit.

One more thing: "swoon units"

hahahaha please. Dipset?

you beat me to it. If this dude really loves language then these 2 are the ones to not to watch for. The shit they do w/ the english language is trully sad.

You mad?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

What? They be to poetry what key be to lock!

:explosion noise:

poetry wise, Saul Williams comes to mind...a dude not up on hip hop would definately ease into him a little easier...

hahahaha please. Dipset?

You mad?

No i find them more amusing than poetic... It never crossed my mind to put them in a "poetic" category... Now digable who can argue??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I nominate Cassidy... Selling salt to a slug.

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    The first person to pop into my head was Chuck D. Specifically Nation and Black Planet. Actually Ice Cube too.... But I guess that is more "pissed off" poetry. But still, as far as "imagery" goes, its pretty damn good.

I'm not a good judge though. I don't even really like poetry (i know, i know).

Say... wu-tang??

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've always thought that OC's "Jewelz" was a pretty good piece of writing, a literary person might appeciate that.

Or "Pickin' Boogers", that shit puts Byron and Shelley to shame.

hahahaha please. Dipset?

Dude, I am serious! Someone who is interested in language and poetry could do a whole lot worse that checking for Cam and Juelz. They are like post modern as fuck. The whole trick is it sounds like ignorant bullshit unless you are really paying attention. That's the beauty of it.

hahahaha please. Dipset?

Dude, I am serious! Someone who is interested in language and poetry could do a whole lot worse that checking for Cam and Juelz. They are like post modern as fuck. The whole trick is it sounds like ignorant bullshit unless you are really paying attention. That's the beauty of it.

or its just ignorant bullshit if you really listen to it

For real I don't think its bullshit, but its just would not fit into my concept of poetic category (see Cassidy ha!), its more marketing gimmick than poetic in my opinion... But then again I am not really trying to figure out who is poetic anymore. I either like the song or I don't and for me to consider something poetic it would have to really be a great piece of writing.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Actually, if I told somebody I was interested in rap and they then tried to engage me on the subject of its "poetic" aspects, I think I would vomit.

as soon as i saw the title of this thread, i thought "man, i can't wait for the faux_rillz shitstorm"
    ........and that was the best you could do!??? i commend Rape Donks, who was quick on the attack, a hard act to follow even. but your piggyback was pretty weak. i give it a 4/10. better luck next time.

seriously play him some aesop rock. seriously.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I nominate Cassidy... Selling salt to a slug.

Dude are you serious?

I mean, beyond the fact that Cassidy's a fucking joke, that line is completely ripped off.

I would definitely recommend Cam'Ron's "Purple Haze". Dude clearly has a good time playing with the language.

as soon as i saw the title of this thread, i thought "man, i can't wait for the faux_rillz shitstorm"

........and that was the best you could do!??? i commend Rape Donks, who was quick on the attack, a hard act to follow even. but your piggyback was pretty weak. i give it a 4/10. better luck next time.

Aww, I was planning to come much harder when I saw the title but the actual post was more benign than what I was expecting, and the guy seemed genuinely well-meaning, so I really couldn't bring myself to do it.

Well, I was planning to come much harder but I really couldn't bring myself to do it.

Wow I mean TMI but T***a might have something for that birdcall

"let me get some of them blue diamonds...

Well, I was planning to come much harder but I really couldn't bring myself to do it.

Wow I mean TMI but T***a might have something for that birdcall

"let me get some of them blue diamonds...

You know I actually put a (PASUE) in there and then deleted it, thinking to myself, "We got some very advanced AYOers on this board, I wouldn't even want to insult them by suggesting they would stoop to responding to such a soft pitch"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hmmm...

Lyrics Born
    Blackalicious
    Saul Williams
    Aesop Rock
    Aceyalone Circa Book Of Human Language

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    And...

J Live
    Buck 65
    Sole
    E 40
    Mr Lif
    Kool Keith

Sole
    yeah, bad coffe house poetry slam poetry.

E 40

Can't really cosign the rest of the choices but Douglas your boy should definitely check E-40. Dude invents language.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

E 40

Can't really cosign the rest of the choices but Douglas your boy should definitely check E-40. Dude invents language.

are you looking for dudes who speak in a particualrly poetic prose or just dudes who talk funny?

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts

E 40

are you looking for dudes who speak in a particualrly poetic prose or just dudes who talk funny?

There is an old white dude here at work that sounds remarkably like E-40. He looks like santa claus too. bizarre. and i want to be like "hey, doesn't dude sound just like e40?!?" but nobody would know what i was talking about.

oh, and get this- his name is David Duke.

rad.

E 40

Bloody murder, crime, drugs, folks smokin'

Man I remember when it used to be cool to leave ya screen door open

And let the mosquitos and the flies sneak in

Look mama and them play whistle so I'ma play tackle football with my friends

I guess them times is gone cause like a wishbone

I wish I had em' back instead of watchin' brothers fiz-all

Catch em' out on every track, bar, street, boulevards

Sweet avenues with dead ends, neighborhoods with antennas

Whatever happened to the days of Little League

Pop Warner and Boy Scouts, the Omega Boys Club

To cool to go to school not thinkin'

Too busy smokin' weed, sellin' dope and drinkin'

I guess we're livin' in the last days

Cause in the last days the Bible speaksof AIDS

Plagues, brothers killin' brothers, earthquakes

Youngsters tryin' to earn stripes as a work face

I'll be a sucker if I don't pull ya ho card

I used to be soft but now I'm hard, look here

I'll be a sucker if I don't pull ya card

Nigga, I practice lookin' hard

[Hook]

I got a mirror in my pocket and I practice lookin' hard

Mirror, mirror make the call

Who's the hardest of them all

Right before I go to bed

I make sure that my mirror's there

[Verse 2]

Take yo mean face off partner why ya muggin' me

Fools say shit, I can't help that shit's in me

It's automatic cause what's mine ain't even took

It's my mad at the world look

I said I feel ya man, sometimes I catch myself too

Mean muggin' folks that did no harm to me or my crew

But now it shouldn't have to be this way

Fools say, I don't care what nobody say, the other man got me this way

I'm fresh out the pen and out the system for years

Been fillin' out all kinds of applications to make a grip, but I don't know nothin' about no computer chip

It takes that to make a J-O-B in the 93

But a J-O-B in 93 consists of paper rarely

Jobs like the oil refinery

I'd rather work in Napa at the winery

And then ya wonder why I'm stubborn

Forever lookin' hard, I been scarred

[Hook]

Right before I go to bed

[Verse 3]

Can't tell me shit, I come from a broken up home

Every since I was a youth I thought that I was grown

Meet me after school nigga and we can get it on

Ya talked about my mammy now I'm goin' upside ya dome

I got a complex problem, my guard stay up

I'm always on the offensive side, don't test my nuts, huh

I'm not a Charles nor a Larry but I'm scary

Scared that I might lose it and chop you with my pillsbury

I'm deep into my shit and it's straight like that

I be quick to clobber a motherfucker with my Flintstone bat

Nobody likes me on my father's side of the family

They can't stand me cause they think that I'm sellin' that candy

I kid you not, all bullshit to the side

I got 20,000 niggas in my organization, now which one of y'all niggas down to ride

I gets juiced off the underground ghetto shit

You know that Click shit, that independent shit

It makes me feel like I want to

Got me a baggy full of broccoli and a crooked eye 22

I feel great,

I'm mean muggin, but I feel great

But I feel...

[Hook]

Right before I go to bed

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The Nonce
    MF Doom/KMD
    Devin The Dude
    The Riddlore/Ellay Khule/Blowed
    Slick Rick

• are you looking for dudes who speak in a particualrly poetic prose or just dudes who talk funny?

parable #1: the less you say, the less stupid shit you say.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Mike Jones
    Mike Jones
    Mike Jones
    Mike Jones
    CL Smooth
    Bushwick Bill
    Jean Grae
    Drag On
    Papoose
    Prince Po
    Nasir Jones