Your favorite wine for the summer (NRR obviously)

eliseelise 3,252 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I've been sipping on this on the regular: has hints of lychee, which I can never get enough of...Tomero 2006 Torrontes (Argentina)2004 Domaine Albert Seltz Pinot Gris Zotzenberg Grand CruSimple, cheap and pleasurable.Mark West California Pinot Noir 2005Domaine du Tariquet - Ugni blanc ColombardI know there are some wine aficionado's up in here..

Comments

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    kendall jackson grand reserve chardonnay at around $14 its really good. probably the only big name winery wine i drink.

i have a hard time paying more than $15 for a white wine but in the instance that i do, i will drink these...

pine ridge chardonnay (los carneros region) ~$25
    sonoma cutre chardonnay ~$23 (saw it at trader joes for cheap)
    zd chardonnay ~$25

i dont know how easily accessible napa valley wines are in your area but chardonnays from the carneros region in napa are pretty good, out in northern california we dont have a problem finding napa wines.

anybody have any sauvignon blanc recommendations? reislings? muscats?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    in the summer, i ride for whatever cheap red wine i find...

pour a half glass in a pint glass filled w/ ice

top off w/ coca cola

calimocho in the house...

in the winter i actually drink decent wine... unless it's mulled wine, then it's plonk again...

• a german wine that is really fantastic and cheap (they let experts try it and it was the only one they put it in the 100 Euro category - all of them said that it was better than the really expensive wines):

Achkarren - Schlossberg 2004 - ??? 6 (8 USD)

ask for that wine. it's a red wine (Pinot Noir) though.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    in the summer, i ride for whatever cheap red wine i find...

pour a half glass in a pint glass filled w/ ice

top off w/ coca cola

REally?... that sounds a bit like...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

LOLzers, winesnobs!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm not big on white wines, not at all, but when I do drink white I go with Burgundian Chardonnays. No oak aging for me please. A nice Burgundian Pinot, or a Beaujolais slightly chilled are great in the summer though lately I've been drinking: Pope Innocent VI Chateuneuf du Pape (sp?). It's wonderful, and twenty dollars. Those grapes grow on this:

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    There's nothing quite as refreshing as a chilled vinho verde in the summer. So cheap too!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Since I am gluten intolerant, I can't drink beer. I can't drink liquor all the time. So in the summer, I drink a hell of a lot of white wine.

This is about the only decent thing I can grab at my local shitty Kroger:

I try to hit the Friday tastings at our local wine store and usually buy a few of whatever they're pushing. Always good stuff int he 10-20 range.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Since I am gluten intolerant, I can't drink beer. I can't drink liquor all the time. So in the summer, I drink a hell of a lot of white wine.

I try to hit the Friday tastings at our local wine store and usually buy a few of whatever they're pushing. Always good stuff int he 10-20 range.

Our local wine store kicks ass. I spend way too much money there though.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

anybody have any sauvignon blanc recommendations? reislings? muscats?
    oyster bay sauvignon blanc

$7.99 a bottle

2005 Albert Seltz RIESLING RESERVE
    $13 a bottle

(no picture available. I would post it, but I am too lazy.)

Ken Forrester Petit Chenin Blanc

$11 a bottle

I don't know enough about muscats, but I will hit up the occasional ice wine...

I'm thinkin about working at this local wine bar/Italian restaurant. The owner there has worked with Mario Batali. Not that it really matters that he worked with a famous chef.I'm just psyched to learn some new ish.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Our local wine store kicks ass. I spend way too much money there though.

I have to say, I do miss having a Trader Joes. They had some good cheap selections as well.

Fatback,

I'll have to check that out.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Actually sorta feeling this bad boy right here...for those who like to cab...

Not bitter....real smooth.....why does describing wine always make me have to say pause? Fucks with it though...highly reccomended

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rose Sancerre
    Reislings
    Brunello di monticelo

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "...white people like pinot because it makes cabernet seem like Cisco..."

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Rose

During the spring wine sales the last few years, I have picked up an assorted case or half case of spanish rosados, most/all of which fall under the $10 mark and they have all been enjoyable. Also, they match better than I expected them to with what I am cooking/grilling in the summertime. I once thought of rose as sort of the trailer park version of wine, but I got over that quick.

A couple I noted in a notebook from a couple years ago (2004 vintage, I think):
    Marquis de Caceres, Dry Rose
    Torres, de casta rose
    Vina Vilano, Ribiera De Duero Rosado
    and Cresta Rosa, Castillo de Perelada

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    My favorite wine for summer is

BEER

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Rose

During the spring wine sales the last few years, I have picked up an assorted case or half case of spanish rosados, most/all of which fall under the $10 mark and they have all been enjoyable. Also, they match better than I expected them to with what I am cooking/grilling in the summertime. I once thought of rose as sort of the trailer park version of wine, but I got over that quick.

A couple I noted in a notebook from a couple years ago (2004 vintage, I think):
    Marquis de Caceres, Dry Rose
    Torres, de casta rose
    Vina Vilano, Ribiera De Duero Rosado
    and Cresta Rosa, Castillo de Perelada

Rose ( ) is apparently now the Wayfarer ( ) of wine.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Try some Sancerres from your local wine shop if you want sauvignon blanc. Not to be snobby, but I find French wines far superior to the rest of the world's wines. Beyond that I say stay old world for the most part. I can't handle all that oak nana.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    I don't drink a lot of wine in the summer, but interestingly enough I bought a bottle of this on a whim the other night for no reason in particular.

St. Pourcain (sur Sioule) is the appellation (central france). this particular blend is 50% gamay and 50% pinot noir. the producer is Laurant.

turned out to be a monster. cost me $14 and drinks like a $200 cote de nuits. shit is really that good. and yes, france still continues to have that

bien sur

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    My favorite wine for summer is

BEER

co-sign,