~NEW ZEALAND HOLLAR~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I'll be in the Christchurch / Methven area from 8/1-8/15.What is gouda?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Not in NZ, but keep an eye out for Dr. Tree and Qunicy Conserve records hommie...

REAL GROOVY is the spot, let them know you are not local and a DJ and you wanna go through their stock out back... worked for me...

peace.

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    I'll be in the Christchurch / Methven area from 8/1-8/15.

What is gouda?

The skiing....

I assume that's why you'll be in Methven, unless of course you have a thing for LOTR sets?

Sheep is correct... Dr Tree is the stuff on the jazz/fusion/breaks tip and QC have some good bits... you should find some of the Qunicy joints on 7" (Ode and/or HMV records) + the LPs always have some tasty tracks / samples in them.

Also keep an eye peeled for Kevin Clarke's stuff (70s rhodes-led jazz, I think some of his tracks have featured on the Creative Vibes / Respect Overdue comps), Golden Horn Big Band (like Daly Wilson... but a bit more raw and v. hard to track down), Space Farm (bluesy prog rock w some breaks).

There is a Real Groovy in Chch, but I've neveer found much there... check out Penny Lane on Colombo St in Chch - I always have better luck there. Echo Records in town occasionally deliver

On a different tip altogether check out C1 Espresso on hHigh St for a java fix (good shopping round there too), London Street Bistro in Lyttleton for a fancy meal in cool little harbour spot (15 mins drive away), Winnie Bagoes for half decent pizza, MyThai Monkey Bar for good Thai and totally crazy hostess (she occasionally gets out the Will F*ck For Coke t-shirt... and allegedly menas it too), indochine for fancy asian and Banyun Tree in Colombo St for awesome Burmese (sp?) food.

Bars / Clubs with decent music? That's a tough one... Chch is the spiritua home of Drum & Bass in NZ, they're mental for it down there. Local crew Shapeshifter are frikin great live though.

Drop us line if you get up to AK though

• I'll be in the Christchurch / Methven area from 8/1-8/15.

What is gouda?

The skiing snowboarding ....

Personally I don't think you'll come up on any records down that way & holmes recently made a trip to Christchurch specifically to go digging at the Real Groovy there - he said something like 'there is nothing left', anyhows, be sure to have a night or two sampling this drop straight from the taps of the local pubs:

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Personally I don't think you'll come up on any records down that way & holmes recently made a trip to Christchurch specifically to go digging at the Real Groovy there - he said something like 'there is nothing left'

If anyone's gunna find shit... N***'s gunna!!! what's crackin' man... Christchurch is a beautiful place, you'll enjoy, there's a little shop across from a pub upstairs with heat under the racks of "new" stock... I can't remember the name, but I'm sure you'll find it...

peace.

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    Personally I don't think you'll come up on any records down that way
    Weird shit happens here though...

Actually funny shit happens too. Make sure you check out Outrageous Fortune / TV3 / Tuesdays / 9.30 til 10.30 - serious funny local comedy drama about a bunch of drug & booze addled Westie crims. Last episode a character who was growing some dope named one of his new plants Posh (as in Beckham) "because I bet she gives good head".

She propbably won't, but that's another thread.

Actually if you're in Methven and fancy some local wine, there should be plenty of Central Otago Pinot Noir to be had. Classy stuff.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'll be in the Christchurch / Methven area from 8/1-8/15.

What is gouda?

You're not visiting Syndey on your southern hemisphere tour?

I keed.... yeah keep your eye on anything on the ODE label. there's lots of interestign things on there, but also lots of crap. Anything mid to late 70s is worth looking mroe closely at though. And yeah, the Kevin Clark album is really tough to find. Keep an eye out for it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yo Nate, what most people have said already is pretty true. I was down in Christchurch recently & bought a bunch of records. I was mainly buying 45s though so you might still find some LPs, all those shops mentioned seem pretty picked through these days though & Penny lane is closing up soon so nothing new is going in there just same old stock I'm afraid. Real Groovy is pretty hip to all those Ode titles mentioned these days also so don't hold tour breath there. Also another US Strutter whose name I forget has just moved there for 3 months & I gave him the record lowdown so if he's done the groundwork you may be a bit late. The best bet is to just enjoy the snowboarding mate. have fun.