Who is the best MC/Producer?

ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
Who do you guys think is the best MC slash PRODUCER. I either got to go with Large Professor or Lord Finesse. Lyrically I think Finesse is better but production wise I think Large Professor is but I don't know. What do you think?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who do you guys think is the best MC slash PRODUCER. I either got to go with Large Professor or Lord Finesse. Lyrically I think Finesse is better but production wise I think Large Professor is but I don't know. What do you think?
    The Best is relative. These types of posts get ugly. But I'll go with my favorite even though he doesnt have the his others do............DJ.Quik!!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    Tone from Mass Influence, Madlib, Frankenstein, did Saukrates produce his own stuff? I still need his damn vinyls. MF Doom.. Ced-Gee (haha isnt he just amazing on the mic??), Evidence!!, pete rock (i personally think the creator is better than pretty much everything with cl).

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Dred Scott[/b]

UNDERAPPRECIATED!

• Who do you guys think is the best MC slash PRODUCER. I either got to go with Large Professor or Lord Finesse. Lyrically I think Finesse is better but production wise I think Large Professor is but I don't know. What do you think?
    The Best is relative. These types of posts get ugly. But I'll go with my favorite even though he doesnt have the his others do............DJ.Quik!!

He is definitely the most well off out of the batch. He would prob be the best engineer/mc/producer.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Who is the beast[/b] MC/Producer?

• Who is the beast[/b] MC/Producer?

Freddie Foxxxx!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'd say dre but dj quik is dope too.

• also rakim hasn't been mentioned. some of the shit he is credited with is super dope. then there is the uncredited stuff too.

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
    M.F. Doom[/b] has this post on lock.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    I liked MF for a long time. But almost instantly I stopped liking him. He seemed to put out too many albums to keep up and everytime I bought a new one it would be garbage or only a track or two worth listening to. Operation: Doomsday is sick though. I loved it to the fullest. Actually all of the instrumental albums were pretty good up to volume 6. I haven't heard the rest. Underground success ruined him.

I liked MF for a long time. But almost instantly I stopped liking him. He seemed to put out too many albums to keep up and everytime I bought a new one it would be garbage or only a track or two worth listening to. Operation: Doomsday is sick though. I loved it to the fullest. Actually all of the instrumental albums were pretty good up to volume 6. I haven't heard the rest. Underground success ruined him.

Yeah, I agree.. but MM.. Food was still dope! When Doom rhymes over his own instrumentals, game over. MadVillain was cool, but i'm still standing by my theory.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Who is the beast[/b] MC/Producer?

YES

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    Madlib Saukrates Evidence!!

dear lord!! you might want to check out lord finesee, large pro, or anyone else thats half way decent at rapping.

id say

1. Finesse

2. Large Pro

3. Diamond D

those were already mentioned kiddo, i was adding new names. i wasnt trying to get into the whole whos the best mc/producer argument, cus i honestly stopped caring bout shit like that when i turned 14. if you serioulsy think i dont know large pro or any of the others you obviously have no idea who i am.

anyway, thanks for my new location.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    PHARREL
    PHO REAL
    PHAREEZEEY
    LIL SKATEBOARD P

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

my thoughts exactly

same deal with madlib

both these cats were really cool for a brief moment.. injected alot of freshness in a genre that seemed to be gettin a bit too jiggy / glossy...

but now that hip hop has gone pop muzik i find them both totally uniteresting and would much rather listen to that Snoop jam with Timberlake on repeat to the fullest.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Is P an MC? I don't think so, unless you consider his verse on Lapdance, LOL.

PHARREL
    PHO REAL
    PHAREEZEEY
    LIL SKATEBOARD P

His MC skills are suspect.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Drop it Like it's Hot?

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Drop it Like it's Hot?
    Man I wondered when that first dropped if he wrote that verse... not that it's dope... He should let Pusha T write his rhymes

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    also rakim hasn't been mentioned. some of the shit he is credited with is super dope. then there is the uncredited stuff too.

what did he do ?

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Probably not the best but their mid ninties work gets them honarable mention.

what did he do ? (Rakim)

Some promotional work for the website, GoldTeethUSA.com

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Erick Sermon
    Edan
    J-Live
    Maseo/Plug 3

Should set some guidelines here. Producers like DR.DRE how get written for shouldnt be considered. Certain cats you can tell they write rhymes. Grand Puba wrote Pete Rock's lyrics on the first two joints. Large Professor can be featured as an Mc on other cats songs whereas Pharell will only appear unless the beat is his. Yes, there are exceptions but you should be able to tell who sits w/ the pen and sits at the board. They produce for other acts and mc on tracks they didnt produce. Q-tip is a good example. Maybe J-Live. KRS-One. But this title is definitely for those cats whose talents balance out on both ends. No Teddy Riley stuff.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Drop it Like it's Hot?
    Man I wondered when that first dropped if he wrote that verse... not that it's dope... He should let Rosco P. Coldchain write his rhymes

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Exactly what I meant they have to have skills as both. Maybe they will have better skills as an MC but they still should be nice on the PRODUCTION side. Also I know the topic is who is best but it is more of a question that who is good because honestly I think Large Pro and Finesse will get a lot of mention.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I would have to say havoc. Cause he is nice at both.

You gotta give it to havoc!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You gotta give it to havoc!

YES!

PS Fuck Pharrell on both mic and beat levels.