2»

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Coltrane

Charlie Parker

Biggie

and Malcolm X.

• Options
    1. My brother and a whole bunch of his friends.

2. Jesse Livermore

3. Biggie

• cosign biggie-hiphop just isnt the same without him around
    my grandfather whom i've never met
    my friend luke who died in germany in some kind of freak moutain accident that was never fully explained.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    1. Jesus *

2. My Nana **

3. Lenny Bruce ***

* To see is any of these loonies who fuck with the world in his name are right or if he will smite them all

** So she could meet my wife and son

***So he could feel vindication, and lay into Bush

The first thing Jesus would do is convert from Christianity.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    1. Jesus *
    2. My Nana **
    3. Lenny Bruce ***

* To see is any of these loonies who fuck with the world in his name are right or if he will smite them all

Not to worry, lived and died a Jew.

Funny so many people listed him as he supposedly already came back from the dead. Oh we of little faith.

Dan

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    my grandpa

Sam Cooke

polish prince

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sly Stone

Michael Jackson

Al Gore

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Zev Luv X
    Otis Redding
    El Hajj Malik El Shabazz

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    First Wish[/b]

I'd bring this shitbag back to life.

THEN..[/b]
    I'd kill myself. Wait a few days, and...
    Second Wish[/b]
    Bring myself back to life, then ask shitbag, "See how that feels, you fuck!"
    (Saving my last wish, just in case)
    WHOA

I guess the good news is his body dangling from an almond branch wrote one of mine life's favorite songs.

peace to all the loved ones mentioned in this thread.
    sween. grandmas. dads. moms. nannys. friends. loved.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Musically I agree with Marvin and Donny and would bring back CURTIS MAYFIELD!!! And bring back Black Michael Jackson for the remix to ABC, XYZ?

Zev Luv X

Otis Redding

El Hajj Malik El Shabazz

Zev Luv ain't dead homie...his bro Sub roc is.

1. Jesus *

2. My Nana **

3. Lenny Bruce ***

Not to worry, lived and died a Jew.

Funny so many people listed him as he supposedly already came back from the dead. Oh we of little faith.

Dan

Very true...let me rephrase..he'd shun the religion that was started after him.

He'd be like, "you motherfuckers actually believe I was down with this all your rules and ideas?"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    One of those threads that's tough to come in late, you want to be honest but you don't want to say the same shit everyone else said, so I co-sign on most of what I've seen, and add:

Eric Dolphy[/b], because of the way jazz artists progress, the paying of dues, the learning from playing with and listening to others before you make your statement, for all his amazing work in his ridiculously short (6 years, 1958-1964 - except for 48-49 when he was 20) recording career, I feel Eric got taken away before he came close to making his greatest expression as an artist, and if he had been able, I'm sure it would have been singular and beautiful.

A selfish one, but definitely W.R. Burnett[/b]. Few have heard of him, many of those who have probably consider him a marginally talented if not hack genre author, but he is one of my favorite writers of all time, and I just wish I could hang out with him for a few drinks and hear the stories of a lifelong writer at the top of the pulp field. Also, his books always had scenes where the main character would peruse the record collections of another character, and comment at length on their taste in (or lack of taste in) Jazz, which was pretty cool since he was writing in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, & 60s*...in fact, that's another reason to have kept him alive...he was still writing damn fine fiction (and the screenplay to "The Great Escape") almost 50 years after he was first published.

*lots of crime and detective writers from the golden pulp age seemed to be jazzbos, the whole "check out the record collection" scene is very common in pulp fiction, as are mini-editorials on jazz by the author-as-protagonist-narrator

Phil Hartman[/b], so the Simpsons would still be funny

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Sly Stone

Michael Jackson

Al Gore

when did sly stone die?

correct me if i'm wrong, but dude is just in super hermit mode in LA on lots of drugs.

no???

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    1. tupac - So we can get back to that T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E revolution thing.

2. Joseph Campbell - to talk some sense into people about religion. sorely needed right now.

3. B.I.G. - N.Y. hip hop hasnt been the same since.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sly Stone

Michael Jackson

Al Gore

when did sly stone die?

correct me if i'm wrong, but dude is just in super hermit mode in LA on lots of drugs.

no???

ummm...yeah, but I think that was the gag, since Al Gore & MJ are still breathing air, too...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    1. my grandpa- a straight Korean G living in Japan. The epitome of scaring looking, cigarette-smoking, smart dude, but he also had a big heart and a warm smile.

2. my brother's classmate

3. my sister's friend's mother

(sorry, it's late and the "parental beatdown" thread has gotten me a little sentimental)

• Otis Redding
    Charlie Parker
    Ted Hawkins

add

Plan Bee
    Mac Dre
    SOPE
    Kit Erickson
    DREAM

cosign Phil HARTMAN!

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    1- Mommy

2- Malcolm

3- Donnie

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Sly Stone

Michael Jackson

Al Gore

when did sly stone die?

no???

ummm...yeah, but I think that was the gag, since Al Gore & MJ are still breathing air, too...

damn. 3am, and only half-reading posts.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Zev Luv X
    Otis Redding
    El Hajj Malik El Shabazz

Zev Luv ain't dead homie...his bro Sub roc is.

doh! yeah that's what I meant.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

polish prince
    CO-SIGN... that mr. hooper shit was off the hook.
    1. babcia
    2. grandma clark
    3. my half-brother bart, that died a month after i found his number. never met him... i was 24 then, and wish i wouldn't have waited.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

My Gramps, "TUM TUM Pappa" aka Caetano Maria Barbosa. He played tons of instruments and PRESSED A RECORD! this from a dude who was born & raised in goa, india back in the day. he worked on a ship and travelled the world, and got stuff like beatles song books and taught himself music and languages. i have his sheet music, so i gotta learn music notation so i can play it. its dope, its in his handwriting.

i feel so lucky to have something that few people are lucky to have in this world. HE MADE ME A GOAN GOSPEL MIXTAPE IN 1984! that's right, my gramps made me a mixtape!who has a grampa that would make them a mixtape?! he was in india and my parents moved to canada I was 4. so his way of making contact with me was recording his voice on a cassette player (a rarity in goa back in '84) and he put together these amazing goa gospel compilation of live music (he wrote a lot of music for choirs and stuff) and mailed it to canada. I still have this cassette and might be the only person to possess this music in the world, i will digitize it if anyones interested in hearing what it sounds like. Goan music has influences from portuguese tuneage.

the following dialogue is the intro to the gospel tape he made for me (if u wonder what a goan from back in the day sounds like talking in english). i think its the dopest sample i've ever heard in my life, way better than just sampling some dude off instructional vinyl in a professors voice or something, cause its my actual gramps. anyhow i added a beat to his dialogue and just added some keys looped...

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3KYFP2F2KSUGP0P167I94PQIL8

ps: he refers to himself as "Tum Tum Pappa" because they'd call him that because he played piano, as in he makes the sound "Tum Tum" when he plays the piano. and "baba shawn" be me

RIP TUM TUM PAPPA, from Baba Shawn aka alieNDN

I wrote a lot, i guess cause a place that appreciates music like this forum can appreciate this,just one of those talented peeps that no one hears about, peace.