Rep Your Pandora Station

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
For those who havent seen it, Pandora lets you pick an artist, and it creates a radio station based on similar sounds, so it will play a song by that artist, and then it will play similar sounding songs with one by the og artist every 3-4 tracks. Pretty accurate, and when Im busy at work and cant be bothered to pick music on the ipod, it works pretty well. You can skip bad picks, although it definitely doesnt go too deep (syl johnson brought up only a mid 80's album). Not life changing, but cool, and the price is right (not to sound like an advertisement). Anyway, stations i've enjoyed have been:Manu ChaoGil Scott HerronMax RomeoDevin Step up....

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Manu Chao

my wife and her friends love this dude. they thought his live show was great but a lot of the audience was expecting what he does on the cd.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Manu Chao

my wife and her friends love this dude. they thought his live show was great but a lot of the audience was expecting what he does on the cd.

Yeah, this is actually my one of my girls favorites. She was really blown away when the first 4 songs pandora played were all pretty cool, and all groups she hadnt heard of, had her scrambling to find a pen to right the names down.

Saw them in Prospect Park last summer, cool show, but yeah, pretty different from their recorded music. Very high energy, but a little light on the latin, heavy on the punk influence for my taste...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    can

thelonious monk

• It will even create a station based on a single song if you want. IT makes the station based on (supposedly) 100s of musical characteristics of the song, instead of the genre and artist, which is cool. I got into this for a while, but then it got a little repetitive. Definitely some good music on there. I like Pandora much better than Launchcast.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    it got a little repetitive. Definitely some good music on there.

this is exactly why I started this thread...

No one else fucks with this?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's a great tool to have when you have a house full of post pub/club drunk people all arguing about what music to put on. Also put me up on a few artists I wouldn't otherwise have checked as well.

Unfortunately read this the other day which doesn't bode well for it's future.

Web radio faces its death knell

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

Manu Chao
    BAN !

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    it got a little repetitive. Definitely some good music on there.

this is exactly why I started this thread...

No one else fucks with this?

Pandora has only gotten better, this is what makes sitting at a desk all day pretty ok. The features have actually kept getting better over the last year or so. I like the mix feature where you can roll with a mix of your own stations all at once.

My stations for a little while have been:

Dennis Brown
    Breakestra
    Beth Orton
    Saxon Shore
    Akron/Family

They have been trying fight the war on the internet airwaves pretty hard and do a good job of asking people to get involved without preaching or begging.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Unfortunately read this the other day which doesn't bode well for it's future.

Web radio faces its death knell

If Pandora is shut down I'll have no more hope for mankind.