Getting glue off a record

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Recently found a Manzel 45 glued onto an Aerosmith record (wtf??) Guess someone wanted to cut with a 12"? Anyway, I was able to carefully remove the 45, but now many of the b side grooves are covered with sticky, old glue. I know lighter fluid will clean the glue right off, but assuming I keep it away from the label, will it damage the record? Should I try goo-gone first? Thanks in advance....

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    You ruined a perfectly good routine there.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Im fucked right?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    have you tried lighter fluid? goo gone?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Recently found a Manzel 45 glued onto an Aerosmith record (wtf??) Guess someone wanted to cut with a 12"? Anyway, I was able to carefully remove the 45, but now many of the b side grooves are covered with sticky, old glue. I know lighter fluid will clean the glue right off, but assuming I keep it away from the label, will it damage the record? Should I try goo-gone first?
    Thanks in advance....

Goo-gone is weak, it's all about goof off. That's the shit that can take paint off a wall. I have no idea if it will disintegrate the vinyl or not, but there may only be one way to find out! You could get some shitty 45 and put some glue on it, and then try a few methods of cleaning it and see what works best without ruining the vinyl.

yeah, i mentioned both in my initial post, just wanted to make sure it wouldnt mess with the record. I have a feeling lighter fluid will work well, but yeah, i will try it with one of the polka 45s that were mixed in with the collection i got last week...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah, i mentioned both in my initial post, just wanted to make sure it wouldnt mess with the record. I assume its cool, thanks....

sorry, I totally missed that...watching TV while I surf/post my bad... Goo Gone is basically just citrus oil, so if you get it all up it shouldnt damage the record and lighter fluid evaporates so quicky that it is for the most part safe for vinyl, but it can mess up styrene...

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    If the glue is regular elmers type glue, then water should dissolve it. Other types of glue, I'd give the lighter fluid a shot...shouldn't hurt your vinyl at all.

just tested some goo gone on a cracked 45, so i think it will cool on the manzel, thanks everyone....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Goo Gone won't hurt vinyl. I've gotten some pretty tuff stickers off of run-out grooves with it.