Antique Furniture

novasolnovasol 204 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Wayyyy off the path. Whose got deep knowledge or access to, directions to, regarding Antique Furniture? I scored two pieces out of the garbage recently. Basic old mission or arts / craft stlye dressers 1900-1940's in pretty good condition. Seems most online discussion forums for Antiques are snoozers. Getting one "touched up" and worried I'm gonna screw it up.Check 'em

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    There's not too much to know in terms of how to treat it. When most dealers try to "refinish" something - it's usually just spraying it with 409 over and over again.

If you're looking to get ill shit though - peep ebay auctions from seller tsandcompany. These guys have some amazing shit that goes for DIRT cheap.....but since they're in Florida - the expensive part comes with the shipping. But they're super good sellers and take very detailed pics of whatever minor scrapes their may be on the pieces.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Wayyyy off the path.

Whose got deep knowledge or access to, directions to, regarding Antique Furniture? I scored two pieces out of the garbage recently. Basic old mission or arts / craft stlye dressers 1900-1940's in pretty good condition. Seems most online discussion forums for Antiques are snoozers. Getting one "touched up" and worried I'm gonna screw it up.

Check 'em

fake find!, pull that out of the garbage, yeah right!

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts

fake find!, pull that out of the garbage, yeah right!

They look much better in the picture. People throw out stuff full well knowing someone is gonna pick it up. Just put it on the curb and its gone. I put out 7 boxes of beat up Perry Como, Englebert Humperdink and like stuff...gone within an hour. Good karma caught up I guess. Kind Lady even helped me load it up.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    You got those two pieces for free then???? That chest would sell for over 600 in a shop if its in the condition it looks to be. (pulling out Antiques Roadshow knowledge) That table is funky. Nice find. I'll give you 50 for the table.

There's not too much to know in terms of how to treat it. When most dealers try to "refinish" something - it's usually just spraying it with 409 over and over again.

409 over and over? Like bleeding the varnish into scratches? Guy doing the touch ups...doesn't smell like 409 in his shop.

Lots of nice stuff florida seller offering. Mostly modern related. I'm not fully clued up, but seems like the danish/scandinavian modern (mid century modern) is hot right now. Related late 60's '70s designs too...seem to overlap blend well.

Crazzzy I know! Chest? You talking about the 3 drawer shorty right? It's a vanity. Should have a mirror. The top has two slots for that. Lady is gonna dig around her mothers for the mirror and drawer key. I don't know about 600..or 50 for that matter. I want to clean up em up properly, but age is of some importance. If they're pre- 1900-1940, I'm thinking I should get museum quality work done on them. Not ready to waltz into a Antique dealer and pepper them with questions, , while they just want to buy.

Think Lexington Blue Note vs '70s UA blue labels.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    what part of the country are you in? wife has a lot of appraiser info at work.

they'll also have a refinisher they use that they can recommend.

Ouside Chicago. I don't want anyone "working" on this...but if she can puzzle solve quickly and easily, way cool.