the first song you ever grooved to

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
please don't answer this post in some way to reference an obscure group most of the population hasn't heard of. let me put it this way, i dont want to see your answer if you were beyond the age of 9 years old when the song came out. i want to know the first song that made you sing a long that wasn't a nursery rhyme. back when i was about 6 or 7 my parents had this electronic thing that was about the size of a walkman, with a big assed speaker, but all it did was play FM radio. this is the tune that made me thing of music as something that i WANTED to learn about, it was playing all the time. i'd also appreciate if you dropped your current age in relation to the song that u chose to give us a frame of reference.i'm 28, and this is my song.

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Nice thread, and yes Winwood has childhood bangers for dayz. I seem to remember rocking out to these in the big way when I was very young...

Those 2 albums (tapes) got serious burn.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I'm 24. I remember this in the movie, Cats Eye.

I fucking loved that movie, and still do.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Eric Clapton "Change the World" stands out in my memory as one of the first American songs I liked.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    In moms monte carlo...

couldn't find the video...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I'm 23. I really loved "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" when it played on the car radio on the way to the supermarket. I was about 6 or 7 then.

• Was not alive when this came out.. just turned 29, but this was always on the radio driving around back in the day and i can remember riding for it like ohhhh so happy together, how is the weather!?!

P.S. I like when they sued De La Soul... haha, the turtles changed the whole game!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    My very first favorite song (I'm talking age 3 or 4 here) was this little crooner:

" ... she was young and fresh .. "

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    "Owner Of A Lonely Heart"

Also Blondie, The Police and Jimmy Cliff got some serious spins.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Sunday rides with the whole family in dad's car... all the albums got heavy rotation.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Bennie & The Jets.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Let's get this on and cracking, it's time for someone over 30 to pull out the
    real jams.
    For me it was all about "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover", that was my shit.
    Included are 3 versions:

Simon and Garfunkel

Thread hi-jack!
    Checking for versions of 50 ways led
    me to Steve Gadd and Ralph McDonald on Zildjian Day 83!
    Holy crap, breaks for days...
    I dig how they keep it simple, and don't go all Gene Krupa on it.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

The first record that I heard on the radio that got me groovin' was Boogie Oogie Oogie. I was 4 when the track came out. It was one of the first 45s I ever bought as kid. Years later I learned it was produced by the Mizell Brothers along with a bunch of other tracks that I have liked over the years.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'm 37 years old. This may sound weird, but the first song I like as a kid (at 5 years old) was "Do it 'Til Your Satisfied" by B.T. Express. It used to play on the radio and I'd dance around and sing (not knowing what it meant). I still have my original 45rpm from back then.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm 29, and my first really vivid music-related memory is rocking out to this:

And by rocking out, I mean full-blown, jumping up and down on the bed, screaming along with the lyrics steez. I loved Glory Days off that album too, because, you know--I could really relate to wistfully reminiscing about my high school days as a six-year-old.

I'm told I was also really into the Moody Blues as a younger child, but I don't remember that. And I recall being fascinated by this album cover around that same period:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Apart form the stuff my ma & pa used to play in the car etc, these two come to mind.

• Hall n Oates - I Can't Go For That
    Men At Work - Down Under

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Probably a Jackson 5 song or some TV theme.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    One of my earliest memories is dancing with my mom in the kitchen to the "The Entertainer" from the movie "The Sting" when I was 2 or 3 or so...

• tbone47tbone47 16 Posts
    Everybody Dance Now

I remember watching this on MTV at my puerto rican friend's house when i was in 1st or 2nd grade. (The only shows I watched at my house were Sesame St and Mr. Rogers)

I was blown away, and hooked on music ever since.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    In my basement listening to KMJK. Mr Brady Dude Perm Shredding for Dayz.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    This was the first song i really remember checking out all by myself on my parents' turntable and grooving to it. I was 4. Now i'm 29. Nothing has really changed.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    everything from michael jackson.

im born in 87. haha

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Brick House by the Commodores.

im 33 and my mom said that whenever that song came on id dance around and try to sing along to the words. thats the earliest song i can remember really liking. that and "the bear went over the mountain".

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    johnny b good was my shit...

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I'm sure there were other songs earlier but "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night stands out. I was 8 years old and living in Hopewell, NJ in 1970 (I'm 45 now) when it came out and went to number one. We had just moved back to the US after three years in Mexico and I was trying to be a normal American kid and lose the Mexican accent I'd picked up in Tampico. This song helped. The video is from 1975.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Bennie & The Jets.

Just throwing these in cause I didn't embed a clip of it before.

OOOH YEAHHHH... Man, I use to have a whole dance routine to this, bouncing off the cushions of my mom's sofa (which I put on the floor cause you know there was a fort that was set to be built.)

All these songs STILL got me grooving. Makes me really sad thinking about the music that's coming out today.

• everything from michael jackson.

first concert was the 84 victory tour (age 2). had the glove.

recently heard a b-more rmx that actually made me smile.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Tie between Ah-Ha "Take on me" and Beach Boys' "Kokomo" ...I was 7 or 8 at the time

I was already groovin to MJ and Prince but for some reason those songs really kicked off my FM radio obsession that lasted well into my teens

Bennie & The Jets.

Figured I'd drop the Biz Version just for funsies!