Herbie Hancock -- Spook who sat by the door OST

MikeFreedomRockMikeFreedomRock 306 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Was there an OG released of this? I saw it recently in a store in a heavy cardboard stock cover, but it was white inside. There was some photo in it as well. It looked kinda fishy, but I'm interested in whether anyone has the OG and what the inside cover looks like. Thanks.

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Was there an OG released of this? I saw it recently in a store in a heavy cardboard stock cover, but it was white inside. There was some photo in it as well. It looked kinda fishy, but I'm interested in whether anyone has the OG and what the inside cover looks like. Thanks.

I believe you saw the reissue.

As has been discussed on here before (not to criticize you for rehashing [nohigh-c], but to recap what I remember), the movie was pulled after one day in theaters, the soundtrack was assigned a catalog number but never released. Herbie Hancock recorded a flexi-disc for Downbeat Magazine in '72 or '73 (I believe Day and DeeRock have copies of it) that was a semi-instructional type affair, and featured some tunes from the Spook OST. I bought the reissue. Dialog bits mixed in. Sound quality is decent.

The book is incredible as well.
    The movie's been released on DVD (in stock at the spot near your house), and the bonus interview with Greenlee is a must see. Dude is hard as nails.

(movie stills)

SAM FUCKING GREENLEE[/b]

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    and some of the tracks on it is directly from his trust lp i believe...

anyone seen the movie? heard good things about it, but havent had time to watch it yet.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    anyone know where i can pick up this dvd on the web? ive been looking around for it...

thanks.

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    Is it an official DVD release, or the boot? The only DVD I've seen so far was a crappy boot copy where the last scene suddenly skipped to the end credits. You had to slowly rewind back to see what happened.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    easy to find the DVD. great movie. the reissue LP sounds like shit. i hope there's a proper issue soon.

i had that flexidisc too, but I lost it!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    easy to find the DVD. great movie. the reissue LP sounds like shit. i hope there's a proper issue soon.

i had that flexidisc too, but I lost it!

thanks fatback, ordering now...

Is it an official DVD release, or the boot? The only DVD I've seen so far was a crappy boot copy where the last scene suddenly skipped to the end credits. You had to slowly rewind back to see what happened.

I've seen the legit DVD release. With bonus interviews with the actor (I forgot his name) who saw it in theaters at the release, then watched as it disappeared forever, and made it a goal of his once he became a Hollywood dude to find Greenlee and give the film a proper re-release. Not to mention the bonus interview with Greenlee, which is dope. There's a "disclaimer" at the beginning of the movie, to paraphrase, saying This movie does not encourage the overthrow of government, and then Greenlee says in his interview, "Fuck yea we wanted to overthrow the government." That dude has fires burning still, after all these years. He is an inspiration.

I walked into my local video store and asked if they could order it when I heard it was released, and it showed up a week later. I'd encourage everyone to do the same. Then it's on the shelf for others to discover/find/remember, etc.

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    easy to find the DVD.

Damn, I've been seriously dozing; thanks for educating & civilizing me.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Herbie Hancock recorded a flexi-disc for Downbeat Magazine in '72 or '73 (I believe Day and DeeRock have copies of it) that was a semi-instructional type affair, and featured some tunes from the Spook OST.

You can find mp3s of that flexidisc in the www.fenderrhodes.com audio archives.

Herbie goes through the different possibilities of the electric piano combined with various effects, and plays a few compositions alone and with the Headhunters. It's quite techy in fact (for the average Downbeat reader), and it's nice to hear an accomplished jazzman like Herbie speak about the technology with such obvious enthusiasm.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Havent seen the dvd yet, and just to add a little bit, I have the reissue, and the sound quality is not good (trashy), there is distortion on some of the tracks and it sounds like they recorded it inside the cinema through the speakers or something... The Thrust tracks are not exactly the same as the ones from the original Thrust album, sounds more like earlier studio versions, these tracks have a bit better soundquality than the rest of the Spook LP, but are still far from the sound on the original CBS Thrust.
    I really like the reissue though, its tuff and there's some nasty looping gangstafunk, also the Thrust trks sounds budgety and dope,... Actually, Herbie experiments alot more on this than on his other ost's, and its way more ghettoish soundwise...!!
    Ive seen at least one auktion for the original, so I think there is an OG (super rare) Spook ost album out there somewhere...???

• I believe you saw the reissue.

As has been discussed on here before (not to criticize you for rehashing [nohigh-c], but to recap what I remember), the movie was pulled after one day in theaters, the soundtrack was assigned a catalog number but never released. Herbie Hancock recorded a flexi-disc for Downbeat Magazine in '72 or '73 (I believe Day and DeeRock have copies of it) that was a semi-instructional type affair, and featured some tunes from the Spook OST. I bought the reissue. Dialog bits mixed in. Sound quality is decent.

Thanks. To sample Mao, thanks for educating and civilizing me.

just to add a little bit, I have the reissue, and the sound quality is not good (trashy), there is distortion on some of the tracks and it sounds like they recorded it inside the cinema through the speakers or something...

That's interesting. Perhaps there are a few reissues? Mine sounds on par with most '72 era recordings (slightly rounded high end, buttery drums, slight tape hiss). But it's obviously a studio production. Not bad, but not the best. We should compare covers/packaging/matrix.

On the flexi tip, Herbie also did one for FenderRhodes...!

just to add a little bit, I have the reissue, and the sound quality is not good (trashy), there is distortion on some of the tracks and it sounds like they recorded it inside the cinema through the speakers or something...

That's interesting. Perhaps there are a few reissues? Mine sounds on par with most '72 era recordings (slightly rounded high end, buttery drums, slight tape hiss). But it's obviously a studio production. Not bad, but not the best. We should compare covers/packaging/matrix.

The reissue I have (I think) is the newest one with movie foto inside and thick carboard cover...

I thought this reisssue was an Italian boot off of the Film reel's sound strip and then "stereo-ized"
    I haven't listened to it with headphones-Is it double Mono?
    Also No one has come up with an OG copy-

Right?

This one's a US reissue with the UA logo on the label (but it dosent say United Artists anywhere?) so it might be a bootleg...

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((REAL DOPE))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

www.fenderrhodes.com/history/audio.php

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((REAL DOPE))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Heheh Raz, I guess you didn't read my previous post???

Heheh Raz, I guess you didn't read my previous post???;)

HA!!!

S?? tror jeg sku snart at det er p?? tide at f?? set den film, hva sir du til det, og hvad siger du til iaften, det er sanktehans G, hva har du gang i, vejret er jo for insane, jeg gi'er dig et buzz....auright!!!

• Last year, I saw the movie for the first time in a theater in 30 years. it was hosted by none other than sam greenlee for the LA film festival. after the show he was selling legit signed copies. and i purchased one direct from him. it was ill to see it on the big screen. dude had a big stack of condoms in his bag. i thought that was pretty funny. real nice guy.

• TTL says some OSTs were handed out at theatres during the movies premiere in some cities???

And there is a sketchy dvd version on ebay for only 8 bucks. It says its remastered, letterboxed, and includes the interview. I might go with this one. Hell, 8 bucks..

this is the legit copy. sam greenlee said there was never a soundtrack. they might be thinking of the deepthroat soundtrack cause i know that was a similar situation.