Restaurant Week

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
psych pscych psych. i love to eat good food for cheap.Yesterday: F.Illi PonteToday: ButterMonday: PetrossianTuesday: Sushi SambaWednesday: Tribeca Grill

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I heard Restaurants only serve from a certain part of the menu. U cant get anything for cheap.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    they have special menu to choose from. trust me. its still a great deal and you can go to restaurants and have a nice meal that you probably could never afford to go to otherwise.

of course im speaking for the rest of you guys, i can obviously afford to go anywhere.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Only got one in so far, Jojo, which I thought was excellent and the wife thought was just OK.

I was certainly not down with the skimpy restaurant week menu though... give the people what they want!

yes the restaurant week menu was paired down from the normal menu. NALGAS

yes the restaurant week menu was paired down from the normal menu. NALGAS

try F.Illi Ponte, make a reservation for tuesday or monday, for like 8:15. Its right on the hudson river near the Holland Tunnel, with great sunset views a beautiful interior and the food was excellent and included appetizer, main and dessert.

you have to understand that most of these restaurants, if you were to go any other time, two people each eating an app and a main and a dessert and a drink or two would be about $200+.

Its like going to a friends house who is a really good cook and has a really nice house, do you really care whats on the menu?

and the wife

that was fast! you got a bun in the oven johnny?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    and the wife

that was fast! you got a bun in the oven johnny?

you have to understand that most of these restaurants, if you were to go any other time, two people each eating an app and a main and a dessert and a drink or two would be about $200+.

Its like going to a friends house who is a really good cook and has a really nice house, do you really care whats on the menu?

I like good food.

So when they present this like "hey, come and eat for cheap, but youll only get the chicken"

That's like Jonny having a sale and only making the cheap crates available.

Im not really into going to NYC spots for the decor. So over it.

you can look at the available menus ahead of time on the interwebz to ensure that you receive an appropriate amount of meat dishes before making the reservation.

you can look at the available menus ahead of time on the interwebz to ensure that you receive an appropriate amount of meat dishes before making the reservation.

Sounds like alot of "work" just to eat "cheap"

JESUS CHRIST THEN DONT GO ALREADY. I DONT CARE. ITS NOT LIKE I OWN A RESTAURANT. STAY HOME AND EAT YOUR GOD DAMN DELUX MACARONI AND CHEESE FOR ALL I CARE.

JESUS CHRIST THEN DONT GO ALREADY. I DONT CARE. ITS NOT LIKE I OWN A RESTAURANT. STAY HOME AND EAT YOUR GOD DAMN DELUX MACARONI AND CHEESE FOR ALL I CARE.

Sensitive & Emotional?

Sensitive & Emotional?

I haven't been eating right lately.

• It's a no brainer. A $200 gourmet 3-course meal for about $60 (dinner for 2), and all the ones I've been to have excellent choices on the menu. It's definitely not "just the chicken".
    The Water Club was an awesome experience.

A $200 gourmet 3-course meal for about $60 (dinner for 2), and all the ones I've been to have excellent choices on the menu. It's definitely not "just the chicken".

Well here's the thing - sometimes it IS just the chicken (it was at Jojo). $35 for the meal was great, but the tab, with tip, was still $150 (granted, a $48 bottle of wine included but their cheapest bottle was $36).

I'm not saying it's not a good deal but it's not like they're giving away their top menu. There still ain't no free lunch in this city.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

STAY HOME AND EAT YOUR GOD DAMN DELUX MACARONI AND CHEESE FOR ALL I CARE.

Says the guy who made a reservation at Sushi Samba.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    restaurant staff LOATH restaurant week. It's the time of the year when all the cheap tippers w/ unrealistic standards pop out of the woodwork. Equivalent to sample faq dude at record show.

A lot of places will hire extra staff during that time to handle the onslaught of customers, thus the quality might not be as consistent. Also a lot of places will try to cram 3 sittings in one night so you will feel rushed. Not saying you can't get a good meal, it's possible, but generally speaking you get what you pay for.

Finally, do not judge a restaurant based solely on a "restaurant week" meal.

I can understand why they would hate it but honestly this is also the time when people who can't otherwise afford to eat at these places can treat themselves. I usually take the opportunity to try a new place, one where I might be willing to throw down at full price in the future. But that attitude shows. I doubt we'll return to Jojo.

I mean, I kind of feel like if the chef views the whole thing with disdain then the restaurant just shouldn't participate.

I tipped a bit over 20%, hopefully that was sufficient to justify eating a no-frills chicken dish next to Sofia Coppola

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    yup, my girl works at Indochine...restaurant week crowds are the worst apparently.

Its a good promotional event.