Who the heck would you book for a party in NYC?

DongerDonger 854 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
OK so I'm pretty much taking the night off from DJ;ing. The boss at my job usually has me play, but this is our company anniversary party and I want to get crunked up.So here are the requirements.The DJ should have some sort of reputation/name. He/She doesn't have to be the biggest, most known DJ, at least we can afford them at a lower price so that may even be better. They can't go hip-hop crazy, because this is not some knowledgeable hip-hop crowd, and it shouldn't be all top 40 either. They don't want it to all be obvious music, but there should still be some floor filling party classics. A nice balance really. Not too obscure, and not too pop. Just balance that shit for the crowd. It's what I normally do. Now who the hell can I trust with this mission???What are your suggestions?

Comments

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    to bad there are no messageboards where djs from nyc post....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Roxy Cottontail, of course.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    rumor has it that Urrrs had Martha Stewart snappin' & trappin'.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Monkone

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    dj angola, sundays at apt

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    to bad there are no messageboards where djs from nyc post....

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    oh, i have another one: dj chicus

runs redbud records.. nice lil 7" reaggea thingie. good dj.

• DJ STILL LIFE!!!

He just moved out to NYC. He DJ'd my wedding and killed shit. Even old folks were geeking out over the selection. This old dude at my wife's work still talks about it. I'll vouch for him 110%, aaaaand he's a soulstrutter too.

Dstill808 I think is the user name here.

Shoot him a PM.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I'm sure chicus is good, but being that I've never heard of this person, I'm pretty sure none of our clients and coworkers have either. So chicus doesn't really fit the "have a bit of a name" requirement.

In order to have a bit of a draw for our clients, well we need a DJ with a bit of a rep.

What's really sad is that I'm racking my brains, and the list I have been coming up with is very short. Really the only requirement is: Somewhat known DJ that can rock all types of crowds. Sad state of affairs in the NYC DJ game being that this is more difficult than I thought. Most of the known DJs suck. Most of the great DJs have very little draw.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    DJ STILL LIFE!!!

He just moved out to NYC. He DJ'd my wedding and killed shit. Even old folks were geeking out over the selection. This old dude at my wife's work still talks about it. I'll vouch for him 110%, aaaaand he's a soulstrutter too.

Dstill808 I think is the user name here.

Shoot him a PM.

i don't have a problem finding great djs in nyc, the problem is finding really great djs that also have a draw.

honestly for a gig like this i would probably book mark ronson, because for this type of crowd i'm sure he could do it all, but at this point he is probably way too expensive

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

I'm sure chicus is good, but being that I've never heard of this person, I'm pretty sure none of our clients and coworkers have either. So chicus doesn't really fit the "have a bit of a name" requirement.

In order to have a bit of a draw for our clients, well we need a DJ with a bit of a rep.

What's really sad is that I'm racking my brains, and the list I have been coming up with is very short. Really the only requirement is: Somewhat known DJ that can rock all types of crowds. Sad state of affairs in the NYC DJ game being that this is more difficult than I thought. Most of the known DJs suck. Most of the great DJs have very little draw.

as far as i know angola has played on some bigger "celebrity" partys as well.
    before i say something that aint true i wont tell any names. but definatly not some kind of thing.
    that doesnt make him a big name necessarily, but if you tell your boss who he played for that might help? i dont know, just some random thoughts..

• Then book somebody as Mark Ronsan and hope nobody notices the difference!

Cosmo Bakre

Dilpo

DJ PM

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Then book somebody as Mark Ronsan and hope nobody notices the difference!

Cosmo Bakre

Dilpo

DJ PM

Why not book Ayres or Cosmo or Eli or Soul, etc? They're all on the board.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    the problem is finding really great djs that also have a draw.

you need a dj with a draw...for your office party?

this guy def has a draw:

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    He/She doesn't have to be the biggest, most known DJ, at least we can afford them at a lower price so that may even be better. What are your suggestions?

So you want a cheap dj that will pull a crowd to an office party. Sounds like you should get Carrot Top I hear he will work for roids. That and reading this post makes me think you should take an ESL class.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

this guy def has a draw:

HA!!! don't even tell me this dudes' name is steve[/b]! (check front of laptop)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    dudes he works for a high end retail boutique in Nolita. It's not an office party.

Ritchie holler at the dudes mentioned... Eli is a nice choice (is he on here?) as well as Cosmo, Rich Medina, Spinna, and so on. I don't know why you thought soulstrut would tell you anything useful about this! lololololol

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

How about getting someone like Roc Raida or something?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    dudes he works for a high end retail boutique in Nolita. It's not an office party.

Ritchie holler at the dudes mentioned... Eli is a nice choice (is he on here?) as well as Cosmo, Rich Medina, Spinna, and so on. I don't know why you thought soulstrut would tell you anything useful about this! lololololol

Hahaha because I am soooooo bored at work, I'm posting on soulstrut more than ever.

Oh and yeah I was definitely thinking of a couple of the guys you just mentioned.

EDIT: Please post on my "pickles" thread. I have a jar of pickles that look like they are a year old, and I'm not sure if I should eat them.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    He/She doesn't have to be the biggest, most known DJ, at least we can afford them at a lower price so that may even be better. What are your suggestions?

So you want a cheap dj that will pull a crowd to an office party. Sounds like you should get Carrot Top I hear he will work for roids. That and reading this post makes me think you should take an ESL class.

Great suggestion.

Does anyone have carrot top's booking agent info?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    neil armstrong. holler if you want his info.

• the problem is finding really great djs that also have a draw.

this guy def has a draw:

This guy def has scurvy.

• Options
    I saw Stretch Armstrong play a boat party once and he turned it out exactly how you are looking for it, although this was 3 years ago and who knows what he's all about now.

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• DJ MOM PANTS..WHO ELSE?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

this guy def has a draw:

This guy def has scurvy.

He got it from the BB mixer.I sawr it!

yeck.

- spidey

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    what about Samantha Ronson/Lohan?

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    OK so I'm pretty much taking the night off from DJ;ing. The boss at my job usually has me play, but this is our company anniversary party and I want to get crunked up.

So here are the requirements.

The DJ should have some sort of reputation/name. He/She doesn't have to be the biggest, most known DJ, at least we can afford them at a lower price so that may even be better. They can't go hip-hop crazy, because this is not some knowledgeable hip-hop crowd, and it shouldn't be all top 40 either. They don't want it to all be obvious music, but there should still be some floor filling party classics. A nice balance really. Not too obscure, and not too pop. Just balance that shit for the crowd. It's what I normally do. Now who the hell can I trust with this mission???

What are your suggestions?

You guys can't afford me!

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    Then book somebody as Mark Ronsan and hope nobody notices the difference!

Cosmo Bakre

Dilpo

DJ PM

Why not book Ayres or Cosmo or Eli or Soul, etc? They're all on the board.

What's Eli's user name? Its on now!