Record Store Shelving + Wall Pieces

dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Does anyone here have a preference when flipping through records in stores?Do you find it annoying when it's all just milkcrates and cardboard boxes, or don't mind as long as they're not overstuffed and there's room to flip w/o removing some first? Are wood dividers that essentially achieve the same effect w/o the height issue preferred? What about those pyramid-shaped tiers instead?Does everyone really check out wall pieces and use that as a sign to gauge the quality/proper representation of the store? Or is it just tradition to have some combination of eye candy/"coffee table" covers and status symbols on the wall, and doesn't really leave much of an impression?Do people find having a bunch of records on the wall (not just the "wall piece" area but general stock) just too much clutter and distracting?What's your dream store setup?

Comments

• What's your dream store setup?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The WORST set-up is LP's on shelves against a wall where all you can see are the spines....Chiropractors LOVE that shit!!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The WORST set-up is LP's on shelves against a wall where all you can see are the spines....

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    The WORST set-up is LP's on shelves against a wall on the floor[/b] where all you can see are the spines....Chiropractors LOVE that shit!!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    as far as walls go, only floss if you got the goods. Philadelphia Record Exchange, for example, has the most pathetic display of reissues and $10 records that makes you think "if this is what they have on the wall, what could they possibly have in their bins?"

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    as far as walls go, only floss if you got the goods. Philadelphia Record Exchange, for example, has the most pathetic display of reissues and $10 records that makes you think "if this is what they have on the wall, what could they possibly have in their bins?"

So true, thats store's day came and went a long time ago. I always look at the walls, but just because the wall records are bad doesn't mean there are no good records. It just means they don't know a hell of a lot about what they have.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I was hoping when the dude who ran 9th St. Records closed shop and joined up with the Record Exchange, it would inject some new life into it. Naive, I know.

thats actually a painting!!! And only the gangway down the middle is real or something like that

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The WORST set-up is LP's on shelves against a wall where all you can see are the spines....

true.

and

true.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    At our shop we have ALL kinds of records on the wall...we have stuff the artist has signed to the shop, we have raers, we have reissues, we have records with funny/outrageous covers. We have OG 13th Floor elevators, sealed memphis calssics, $150 Blue Notes AND Eddie Fisher reissues, AND the Mr. T "Be Somebody" LP and an autographed Howard Tate LP he signed for us when he played in the store. Also, we put the new local releases on the wall racks so folks from out of town who want to scoop the new private pressed Jack Oblivian LP without having to dig. Also the wall racks make records that we know people will want pop out and they can scoop them on impulse. Yeah that 70s issue Velvet Underground LP is only 10 bucks, but so what? its a classic, put it on the wall! The walls are represenative of whats in our store, something for everyone: from Timmy Digalot who doesnt care that his Eddie Fisher is a reish, to the chin scratching Japanese Blue Note Collector, to the French Memphis completeist...fuck a snob who thinks a store is wack because there are reissues on the wall...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

thats actually a painting!!! And only the gangway down the middle is real or something like that

wuh? really? I mean, I know those rows of imperial guards in the original star wars were not real. I always assumed this scene was real jsut because, I dunno, the government prolly has a warehouse like this somewhere.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    What's up with the "record stores" where you have to flip through 10 reissues for every overpriced common soul record?

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    The shop I go to has around 200,000 records that still haven't been unpacked. So the owners like" just go through the boxes & get what you want, we'll price it at the counter". Milk crates all over the floor that are labeled $1 dollar or $3 dollar LP's. Hip Hop, Soul, Weird etc. Any small space that they can pack some vinyl in basically. Shit's hard labor!!!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    At our shop we have ALL kinds of records on the wall...we have stuff the artist has signed to the shop, we have raers, we have reissues, we have records with funny/outrageous covers. We have OG 13th Floor elevators, sealed memphis calssics, $150 Blue Notes AND Eddie Fisher reissues, AND the Mr. T "Be Somebody" LP and an autographed Howard Tate LP he signed for us when he played in the store. Also, we put the new local releases on the wall racks so folks from out of town who want to scoop the new private pressed Jack Oblivian LP without having to dig. Also the wall racks make records that we know people will want pop out and they can scoop them on impulse. Yeah that 70s issue Velvet Underground LP is only 10 bucks, but so what? its a classic, put it on the wall! The walls are represenative of whats in our store, something for everyone: from Timmy Digalot who doesnt care that his Eddie Fisher is a reish, to the chin scratching Japanese Blue Note Collector, to the French Memphis completeist...fuck a snob who thinks a store is wack because there are reissues on the wall...

that's fresh. i don't think anyone's saying reissues on the wall=automatically wack, but there should be a method to the madness. PREX's entire stock is just a mess.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Bob Street.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    The shop I go to has around 200,000 records that still haven't been unpacked. So the owners like" just go through the boxes & get what you want, we'll price it at the counter". Milk crates all over the floor that are labeled $1 dollar or $3 dollar LP's. Hip Hop, Soul, Weird etc. Any small space that they can pack some vinyl in basically. Shit's hard labor!!!

what? aside from pricing at the counter this sounds like my DREAM setup. i love fuckin messy record stores. (kanesville comes to mind)

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Overfilled crates = NAGL

Crates stuffed with shit records standing in the way of everything = NAGL

Cardboard dividers when there??s no organization whatsoever = NAGL

As far as wall pieces go, I like them, but there??s a tendency to completely cover the entire store with records, which I feel = NAGL

I like a slightly minimalist approach, but it depends on the store. One place I went there was only a single record on the wall, and nothing else. It really looked cool (no, I can??t remember what the record was). How about just putting record-related posters on the wall and leaving the raers in the bins? I mean they??re gonna be picked down and messed with and listened to anyway, and I like to believe I found it myself. Wall pieces sometimes makes me feel like people are doing the digging for me (and consequently upping the price a bit).

The best stores I??ve been to share a few key characteristics:

There??s good lighting, so you can actually see the condition of the record and not be surprised when you come into the daylight after visiting some vinyl-dungeon.

The crates are actually filled with what the tag on them says. Well-organized and pretty clean.

Mystery-crates on the floor, sorted crates/shelves at about waist-height.

Bathroom facilities.

Other than that, I enjoy the variety record stores offer.

- J

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    When I had "wall-quality" pieces in the bins I had a major theft problem.

People are a lot less prone to mess with stuff if it's on the wall, which can be a good and bad thing.

Oh yeah, the security issue.... Seperate crate with the raerest of raers by the counter perhaps?

- J

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

what? aside from pricing at the counter this sounds like my DREAM setup. i love fuckin messy record stores. (kanesville comes to mind)

I hear you. Except for this bit:

we'll price it at the counter[/b]

"Popsike says $125."

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts

There??s good lighting, so you can actually see the condition of the record and not be surprised when you come into the daylight after visiting some vinyl-dungeon.

The crates are actually filled with what the tag on them says. Well-organized and pretty clean.

Bathroom facilities.

- J

Add: turntable and headphones

I always spend more than I was planning on if I can hear the records first.

Isn't this a snapshot of Indiana Jones' Raider of the Lost Ark at the very end of the movie when they are taking the Ark into storage???

[Edit] Well, it does say it in the url address

Bathroom facilities.

- J

Add: turntable and headphones

I always spend more than I was planning on if I can hear the records first.

naturally