recommend a late 60s rock album.

Dj_Coma_ToastDj_Coma_Toast 874 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Thunder and Roses - King of the black sunrise. picked this up for a buck this past weekend and really dug it... apparently nirvana covered the track "white lace and strange" on a demo tape that was released in some box set. ran across it for download on a blog somwhere if youre interested. your picks??

Comments

• Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Common People - of the People by the People, for the People 1968

Strings arranged by david axelrod... yes, unknown lp still for a lot of heads.. killer dreamy psych rock. This lp is fantastic and one of the better raer pieces in my psych rock section.

If you like this check out a few acts by the name of Gandalf & Food which are both in a smiliar sound.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not to be a "hatter" but this is somewhat similar to asking "recommend a 70's soul album".

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

60's rock album, recommended

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not to be a "hatter" but this is somewhat similar to asking "recommend a 70's soul album".

Hatter.

It's a broad request, but at least it's RR

Recent late 60's rock acquisitions that have impressed:

Yankee Dollar on Dot[/b] (male/fem vox and great guitar)

Blue Mountain Eagle on Atco[/b] (nice blend of psych and early southern rock sans boogie)

Travel Agency on Viva[/b] (nice psych-pop with some cool janglers too)

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    This has been lauded by others (SoulOnIce, maybe?), but I think it deserves reiteration.

The Id- "Inner Sounds of the Id" (RCA)

Oh, and if you don't have the United States of America lp already, that's another no-brainer.

This has been lauded by others (SoulOnIce, maybe?), but I think it deserves reiteration.

Yes!

This is absolutely one of the better "psych" lp's that can be had for $20ish

Get the mono press.

Ah, the ID, key to the entire labyrinth that is the Animated Egg.

That Id album rips any and all Animated Egg incarnation a new one.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I dunno....for me I definitely got to say

Sorta just shits on the majority of that era, in my opinion.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Oh, and if you don't have the United States of America lp already, that's another no-brainer.

bonus track from this that i absolutely love:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mq3277

I hadn't heard this. Thanks, Martin!

Well, it's certainly more realized, although some of the tracks on
    there kind of feel like demos or somewhat incomplete - aren't the AE
    tracks mainly demos/studio jams/out-takes from the Id album sessions?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The Litter - Emerge
    The Rationals - (self-titled)

Two former garage bands turn up the amps and go "heavy."

aren't the AE tracks mainly demos/studio jams/out-takes from the Id album sessions?

Seems so, huh? but about a third to a half of the Id can hang with the best of 'em, IMO. Animated Egg and Co gets sort old (also IMO).

Nothing is fucking with "Wild Times" and "Boil the Kettle Mother". NOTHING.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Well, it's certainly more realized, although some of the tracks on
    there kind of feel like demos or somewhat incomplete - aren't the AE
    tracks mainly demos/studio jams/out-takes from the Id album sessions?

Yeah, I believe I heard something about some of the tapes being taken over to Alshire without the band ever even knowing... so AE was kind of like a bootleg...

NOTHING

oh, hey, I agree Id >>>>>>>> Animated Egg, no doubt.

Please don't hit me.

Steam's self-titled album on Mercury.

Yeah, this is the band that did "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye." And it's obviously a studio project, 'cause the guy who sang lead on that song wasn't even a member of the band (although his photo does appear in a small inset on the back cover).

Shameless Top 40 music with "white-guy soul" overtones. Chanted singalong unison vocals and vibraphone all over the place, just like on "Na Na."

Several songs rip off the big hit, and when they're not plagiarizing themselves they find a way to rip off others ("Love & Affection" has a reverb guitar line similar to "Crimson & Clover").

I'd print the cover - a shot of the six band members in a steambath almost nekkid except for towels - but none of the online images were big enough. Anyway, get it if you see it.

Not all late-sixties rock was psychedelic.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

You made that record sound AWFUL, and then recommended it

You made that record sound AWFUL, and then recommended it

Ha, ha! Hey, I love this record to death, but I had to call it like I heard it! The song was a hit, and they just threw together this LP to cash in on it, what can I say? It's still a good record in spite of itself.

As any Shirley & Company fan will tell you, these flash-in-the-pan LP's are alright, in a trashy, backhanded kinda way! Not all musicians back then were Serious Artists like the Id or the Millennium; these cats were tryin' to make a buck!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hatter.

It's a broad request, but at least it's RR

EXACTLY. Besides if it were "Recommend a rural psych outsider move", people would go to Waxidermy.

Fo real, 5 stars for this thread. That Common People joint is NICE.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Common People - of the People by the People, for the People 1968

Strings arranged by david axelrod... yes, unknown lp still for a lot of heads.. killer dreamy psych rock. This lp is fantastic and one of the better raer pieces in my psych rock section.

If you like this check out a few acts by the name of Gandalf & Food which are both in a smiliar sound.

My understanding was that Axelrod produced the first couple of tracks off the album before his girlfriend/wife? had a car accident and he left the project to care for her?

This would certainly match up with the way that the sound changes so dramatically after the first few songs, Not hating on the rest of the album as it's still good rock but whenever I put it on it saddens me to think what the album would be like if he had produced it all.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

There's a reason why "the classics" are the classics, if you know what I mean.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src="http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/g/green~~~~~~_green~~~~_101b.jpg"/>

Green - S/T (Atco 1969)

got this, still in shrink for $2 earlier this year, good shit! i love the overall feel this record has.

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divaudio2">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=1289249-a6c" />http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=1289249-a6c" width="335" height="28" name="divaudio2" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
    The Touch This is Touch
    The Collectors Grass and Wild Strawberries
    my favourite is Fisherwoman tho

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I'd print the cover - a shot of the six band members in a steambath almost nekkid except for towels - but none of the online images were big enough.