No tacos welcome in New Orleans?

2»

Comments

• This guy nailed it on the head.....

It always amaze me when I read these post how people miss the point of the story. It doesn't matter who eat or operate these trucks

the point is do they have the right permits to operate

do they pass the heath code

do they pay tax

they are still business and if they are operating legal than what the heck , there are many roaming truck of other types that are operating out there.

AND as long as that test or check is required equally of ALL the tracks, regardless of the ethnicity of the operators. That standard has been used around to rid of LAtinos, but I'm sayin- white middle classes around here want them to do thier yardwork, build their homes, pick their fruit and clean their houses for next to nothing, why not let them eat at a truck (when they can't afford on those wages to eat where everyone else does)

... says the man who made a face when I told him that accordian rap was the future.....!

I most likely made a face because Ritu plays the accordian. And I ain't lettin' her yoko in on my music shtick.

What?! Does she really?!? I hope you aren't joking because I've been looking for people to form a jug band with me, and an accordian would be perfect.

also needs:

washboard player

no tweakerz plaeze

Yes dude she absolutely does. A real turn on. hehehe.

A good ethnic mashup for your jug band would to add a harmonium player, which is the yanner sit down accordian.

check your email (swimmin' hole related)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Some choice comments (not all representing the same perspective)...

Posted by BHR on 06/20/07 at 4:56PM
    Why anyone in their right mind would make a conscious decision to move to Jefferson Parish today is beyond human comprehension. The place is a sprawling suburban nightmare. It's nothing but strip mall after strip mall in Metairie and Kenner (and now big parts of the westbank, too), and homes that are inspired by a quasi-religious devotion to ant-like conformity. And what the hell kind of place has rush-hour-like traffic on the interstate at 1 o'clock and the goddamned afternoon? Honestly, why would anyone want to live their? And as for leaving there from New Orleans because of the crime rate, well, so much for that old excuse! The Jefferson Parish council faces serious problems like a skyrocketing crime rate, and they're busy worrying about taco stands detracting from the pristine, scenic beauty of Westwego? It'd be laughable if it weren't so pathetic and sad. Tell you what, JP council...how about you worry about ovettaking New Orleans in crime, and let me and everyone else decide for ourselves where the hell we buy lunch from.

Posted by Imaleevin on 06/20/07 at 5:40PM
    Trying to restore the parish its to pre-Katrina state? I hate to tell Mr. Congemi and the JP Council, but without the Latino workers who frequent these trucks, the Parish would still be far from its current state of repair. The taco trucks are not what is making JP less appealing than it was pre-K.

The council needs to focus on the slum lords, their slum properties and the "trash" tenants who have invaded JP since Katrina. THAT'S WHAT NEEDS TO BE GONE FROM THE PARISH!

Posted by attencion on 06/20/07 at 6:42PM
    Lazy blacks?

Tellers and at most banks in N.O.....black!
    Bus and cab drivers....black!
    restaurant cooks and waiters....black!
    coca-cola, ups, fedex drivers and workers...black!

These are all highly visible jobs. The scary part is, even at not so visible higher paying jobs....still a healthy share of....BLACKS!

Some of the most igonorant white ppl on earth are still in south lousisana.

Posted by mc2 on 06/20/07 at 7:13PM
    I'm the first in line to eat at a Mexican Restaurant run by LEGAL IMMIGRANT HISPANICS who have come to this country to better their quality of life.

They work hard, THEY PAY TAXES....

As far as the taco roach coaches that follow the waves of illegal immigrants sneaking into each area where new work pops up...working for way below normal wages and thereby SCREWING normal hardworking AMERICANS out of their livlihoods....Supporting those trucks is just another way of supporting the wave of illeglas who do not contribute to the local economy. They come in, work very hard, get paid way under scale and then WIRE THE MONEY BACK TO THEIR HOME COUNTRIES.

Americans are hurt by the wages going down...Local economy is hurt by workers and fly by night business that do not pay taxes.

Those taco wagons only help to support this trend.

The Jeff Parish requirement that the trucks provide a bathroom isn't too rediculous becuase many people are well aware that the Mexicans pretty much go behind the nearest bush and pee on your front lawn. This is an attempt to remedy that.

I LOVE Mexican food...This will just cut down on the taco trucks being out of control and confine them a bit more or make the serious vendors more legitimate. It shouldn't be too hard for the truck operators to rent a piece of a local gas station parking lot and work out a deal to use their toilet.

Posted by magnusdmg on 06/20/07 at 8:09PM
    PLEASE!!!!!!! Have you seen this place lately? My company moved me here JUST ONE MONTH AGO. I already had someone point a gun at me in traffic. I'd be better off with the rest of the employee's in IRAQ. At least AL QAEDA kills people for something they believe in. Murderer's,drug dealers,crooks,thieves and thugs. And thats just the elected officials. Have you driven through WOODMERE at night lately. Damn those TACO TRUCKS!!!!

Posted by qtempire on 06/21/07 at 1:48AM
    There's nothing new in any of this...

A long time ago, the Irish come in and take the jobs away from the tasks too dangerous to possibly risk the live of an expensive slave. And the city fathers get their panties in a wad and wonder if they can protect their "whiteness" from this Irish onslaught.

In a generation they are running the place...

Then the Italians show up and all the white folks (which now somehow includes the Irish) get worked up about all those olive skin people getting off the boats.

And in a couple decades half the folks in Jefferson Parish have Italian first names and French last names or French first names and Italian last names (eh, Louis Congemi?)

Now.. here come the Hispanics. Of course the hispanics have been here for decades, owing to the close ties between New Orleans businesses and most central american countries. (And the New Orleans metro area is home to the third largest concentration of Hondurans in the world- and that's pre-K folks), And the help these hispanic workers have provided in the rebuilding of the city is nothing sort of miraculous. Industrious. Thrifty. Hardworking. Everything we might want in a citizen. And I've watched one little hispanic guy work circles around two lazy redneck "migrant' workers from Texas.

And in a generation, they will have added a little something to the cuisine (as if the Spanish who were here back in the 1700s didn't add dishes to our menu), and their kids will speak y'at english.

And that's how this place got built....

Posted by qtempire on 06/21/07 at 10:16AM
    Many Newly arrived immigrants did bond together for support or to celebrate aspects of their homeland's culture. Like the Irish Channel or the Deutches Haus. And some immigrant businessmen used expressions of their homeland in their business, like Hibernia Bank or any number of very old French restaurants.

And there are still echos of this in celebrations like St. Joseph's Day and St. Patrick's Day Parades.

The only difference is the Choctaw and Houma didn't stop the French and Spanish, The French didn't stop the Americans, and the Americans didn't stop the Irish, Germans, Italians and likely can't stop the Mexicans. If folks are contributing to the community rather than taking from the community (and we know we have many native born folks intent on taking) then let's find a way for them to do all the things they want and need to do, like pay taxes and set up businesses.

Posted by stinc on 06/21/07 at 2:21PM
    The Hispanic workers in New Orleans will someday be remembered as the front line who came to town to provide affordable, experienced construction services to a city where devastation was so huge that it was almost impossible to find a contractor. When natives could not find a place to live in NOLA, they stayed six to a room and worked seven days a week. With any luck they will stay in NOLA and bring with them a work ethic that will lace its way through the culture.

One hundred years ago it was the Italians who came to NOLA, provided inexpensive labor and made side money fishing and trapping. They ate strange things like pizza and pasta.

Before that it was Africans, French, Spanish, English....each bringing with them a culure that became the melange that is the crescent city. With the same skill that turned mudbugs and slimey okra into culinary specialties, the New Orleans taco will someday be a source of pride to the community.

The taco trucks keep workers happy and fed. You think we really need these guys to go back to Texas?

• New Orleans now has about 260,000 residents, down from about 460,000.

shit me!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    NO isn't the first city. I read this story in the nyt about a month ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/us/15t...serland&emc=rss

• Harvey- This thread made me hongry for some Cajun food. Me and yr boy T*****d and another co-worker hit up this spot called Ms. B's. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. No good. Skimpy portions.

Harvey- This thread made me hongry for some Cajun food. Me and yr boy T*****d and another co-worker hit up this spot called Ms. B's. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. No good. Skimpy portions.

Did you go to the one on Mesa or the one on East 11th?

I've been to the one on East 11th a couple times for dinner and both times it was nothing short of amazing.

I highly recommend their smothered pork chops.

Incidentally, they also have the best mojito I've ever had.

• Mesa.

I dunno what's up w/ the one you went to but this one was not tight. I had etouffee and it had like a dark gumbo roux. No bueno.

Mesa.

I dunno what's up w/ the one you went to but this one was not tight. I had etouffee and it had like a dark gumbo roux. No bueno.

If you look closely at their menu, it describes the etouffee as having a "rich brown gravy".

http://www.msbscreole.com/dinnermenu.htm

The etouffee is what they smother their pork chops with, so I can definitely say that I wasn't mad at it when I tried it.

Here are Statesman and Chronicle reviews of the East 11th location...

http://www.austin360.com/food_drink/content/food_drink/restaurants/stories/xl/2006/08/10dine.html

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/review?oid=oid%3A406117

And make sure to notice that in the Chronicle, they called the smothered pork chops a "hearty plate for a big appetite".

• That's fucked in the game then. That shit ain't etouffee. You always get something different w/ that dish and I did ask the guy but took the plunge anyway. I've probably been spoiled by my pops' etouffee which is just about the best shit ever.

Maybe the lunch portions are different. These were skimpy.

I doubt you'll ever find yourself needing to eat at the Mesa one. Maybe in a year or so I can shake this bad food memory and try the other spot.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    GP.....Duck Gumbo at Castle Hill on 5th Street.....can't be beat!!

GeneP,

Have you ever had the smothered pork chops at Gene's?

I typically don't go there for lunch and by the time dinner rolls around, they're always sold out of em. I ask, because I wonder if their pork chops are breaded or not. I prefer, like they have an Ms. B's, non-breaded.

Also, lately we've been hitting up a spot in Manor called Boudreaux's. It's not even close to the greatest Cajun food, but it's ample...and looking ahead a couple of months, they show Saints games (Shoal Creek's got a cool circle of loyal fans, but they've also got the worst Cajun food anywhere).

Apparently, there's a spot in the Hill Country that we've been meaning to try as well...

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid%3A471756