panic attacks

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
any of you guys get these? the funny thing with me is every panic attack ive ever had was caused directly or indirectly by my current girlfriend...whoo boy.anyway, just curious to see what happens when other people get these since it doesnt seem like everybody has the same symptoms. usually when i get them it starts with heavy heavy breathing, till it gets really bad and i cant control myself then i just start crying and crying and not much can help for the first like 5 minutes or so...last time it was so horrifying i basically started freaking out like i was dying or something.that said, ive probably had 5 or 6 panic attacks EVER so, im thankful for that.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    any of you guys get these? the funny thing with me is every panic attack ive ever had was caused directly or indirectly by my current girlfriend...whoo boy.

anyway, just curious to see what happens when other people get these since it doesnt seem like everybody has the same symptoms. usually when i get them it starts with heavy heavy breathing, till it gets really bad and i cant control myself then i just start crying and crying and not much can help for the first like 5 minutes or so...last time it was so horrifying i basically started freaking out like i was dying or something.

that said, ive probably had 5 or 6 panic attacks EVER so, im thankful for that.

your panic attacks are most likely anxiety attacks. Panic Attacks are supposed to feel more like heart attacks from what I've been told.

I fell into a pretty big depression several months ago brought on by work, family, and yes, a girl. the key to dealing with this is trying to maintain some sort of order in your life. writing after you go through one and maintaining a written log will help you, and if not it will keep a record of how you felt at the time.

After several months, some prescriptions, counseling and finally breaking away from the girl (living with a drug addict will do anything but help you with your anxiety) things have got better.

if they continue don't think twice about seeing a doctor

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    your panic attacks are most likely anxiety attacks.

this makes much more sense.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Sorry to hear that Ako.

I have them from time to time. If I get real tense over something, I forget to breath, then suddenly realise I'm not breathing, and freakout.

Maybe try meditation, or just deep relaxation regularly. Seems to help to some extent.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    your panic attacks are most likely anxiety attacks.

this makes much more sense.

Same thing.

• yea i get them too.... the worst i ever had was when i was smokin alot of weed... so if you smoke weed try to stop and see if that helps... it helped for me and others i know about... for some people the weed actualy helps with the attacks... check out this link

http://www.concernedcounseling.com/Communities/Anxiety/treatment/diaphragmatic_breathing.asp

there was a thread a while ago about anxiety and i saw this and i do this and is very very helpful...

good luck..

ps... there are also natural herbs you can use.... you might want to google it...

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

I have them from time to time. If I get real tense over something, I forget to breath, then suddenly realise I'm not breathing, and freakout.

a friend of mine forgets to breath while sleeping sometimes, craziest shit i ever seen. he was passed out on a couch one day when all of a sudden he leaps off the couch from full sleep mode and runs toward the door, knocking every loose object on any surface in the room to the floor on his way. it was fuckin' scary. me and the other person in the room didn't know what the fuck was going on. I hope that shit never happens to me!

as for anxiety, it comes in many forms. i used to get it sometimes and would be unable to get a full deep breath for days (sometimes weeks) at a time. it's the most frustrating thing in the world, makes you feel like you're going to die. shit don't happen no mo' though, i stay mellowwww.... maybe that's cuz I'm single now! haha.

I'm tellin' ya, they ought to come with a warning label:

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I've had a few anxiety attacks in my life. I had some in college. I was breathing crazy and i could not stop sobbing. It was scary.

One thing to keep in mind is to not make any rash decisions. It's usually the result of a lot of stress and sometimes it's easy to freak out and think "if I do ________, it will make everything better." usually you just need time to breathe and sort things out. Just take a break of sorts, go for a walk and talk it out with someone.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I've had panic attacks.

it's like your breathing through a sponge, while someone's standing on your chest. not fun. never broke into sobbing but i guess that could happen.

not sure what to say ako... if something's effecting you physically, treat it like an allergy and STAY AWAY!

I've had panic attacks.

it's like your breathing through a sponge, while someone's standing on your chest. not fun. never broke into sobbing but i guess that could happen.

not sure what to say ako... if something's effecting you physically, treat it like an allergy and STAY AWAY!

well i cant really tell if its just me or what, when i was little i used to just start crying when i wanted attention, and my girlfriend thinks this is something similar. usually i get an attack when we dont settle something, and i cant stop dwelling on it, then i worry and start freaking out.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    ...if you dont have xanax on hand, the best natural way to help a panic attack is to sit upright in a chair, with both feet planted firmly on the ground. And to focus on the sensation that your feet are on the ground. Feel the pressure, notice the blood flowing down there.
    The reason why this works for some people is that the body tends to give the feeling that you are trying to jump out of your skin. But, by feeling and realizing that you are grounded, this helps prevent the jumping out of skin sensation. sounds crazy, but I have tried it first hand, and it works.

• Don't worry. You'll be old enough to drink soon.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Don't worry. You'll be old enough to drink soon.

haha true. but drinking makes it worse. If you are depressed, and spend a night of drinking, the next morning can be a panic attack tornado.

oh my favorite thing is going out drinking with the lady. we do it once a week. nice to know lots of people that work at a bar well when youre 20.

did i mention we live together? that probably doesnt help much.

oh my favorite thing is going out drinking with the lady. we do it once a week. nice to know lots of people that work at a bar well when youre 20.

Jesus dude!!! You are 20. You don't need to be living with your ladies yet!!!

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    The anxiety attacks are a side effect many people get from weed. Quit and they will stop after a few months. No doubt.

I suppose there's a small chance you could blame it on severe money problems or a failing marriage - if you got that -- but short of that - it's weed's fault.

ive smoked weed once in my entire life, lets just set that straight.

ive known far too many cool people that just turned into boring, O.K. people thanks to constant smoking, so i try to avoid it. hahaha

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Huh. My misstep I guess.

Huh. My misstep I guess.

haha im not sayin anybody should have known or anything, i just dont think ive revealed that info on here before.

ive known far too many cool people that just turned into boring, O.K. people thanks to constant smoking, so i try to avoid it. hahaha

You should do one of those anti-pot commercials. I like the one where the dog tells the little girl that she isn't that fun anymore.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

You should do one of those anti-pot commercials. I like the one where the dog tells the little girl that she isn't that fun anymore.

and where someone always gets hit by a car whilst on there bicycle..

• HamHam 872 Posts
    i used to have those. i guess i had them cause i didn't have a goal in life, had just gotten out of school with no job, no nothing. nothing to look forward to. that can be some scary shit..but i went to the doctor and got prescribed some beta-blockers, cause when your heart starts to beat faster you automatically associate that with the anxiety. but with the pills i never had the heart beat faster and that + some self-therapy techniques got me out of it.

haha, i know its fuckin cliche lame shit, but seriously they all turned into boring-ass kids i barely even like hanging out with anymore.

the kids that do hard drugs though? theyre fun.

• ive known far too many cool people that just turned into boring, O.K. people thanks to constant smoking, so i try to avoid it. hahaha

I've been meaning to ask about the crazy organ music in those commercials. I really like it. it sounds like its playing off a warped record or something... I dunno, its pretty cool. I'd be interested to know who made that music. They were probably stoned off their asses.

I've been meaning to ask about the crazy organ music in those commercials. I really like it. it sounds like its playing off a warped record or something... I dunno, its pretty cool. I'd be interested to know who made that music. They were probably stoned off their asses.

I think all music sounds that way when you're stoned. At least, that's what the commercials tell me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Jesus dude!!! You are 20. You don't need to be living with your ladies yet!!!

haha, i know its fuckin cliche lame shit, but seriously they all turned into boring-ass kids i barely even like hanging out with anymore.

the kids that do hard drugs though? theyre fun.

I was just messin', I know that really does happen to people.

It just reminded me of those commercials when you said it. I'm all for people not being boring, for real.

in some cases, alcohol directly contributes to anxiety attacks.... sometimes people think that it helps because it loosens you up.... for some people maybe, others maybe not....also caffiene....

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I get anxiety attacks too. Its really weird because they come out of nowhere. And a lot of them have had to do w/ females, myself as well as others here know what you mean.

Have to agree with on the whole weed smoking thing. Friends that I have that still smoke weed on a consistent daily basis since HS ARE boring as hell w/ the exception of a few. Not a hater on weed by any means, but I think moderation is the key.

I quit smoking weed b/c I feel like it got me depressed and real anxious. Glad I'm not consistent w/ that anymore.

I'm gonna have to try that foot planting thing next time it happens.

I hate how easy it is to dwell on certain things when its totally not necessary.

I hate how easy it is to dwell on certain things when its totally not necessary.

i dwell a LOT.

are you still in cedar rapids or whatever? i cant remember which town it was, but if it IS cedar rapids, i go to the thrift stores out there a lot now...once every couple of weeks, found lots of records at the goodwill last time.

• I've been meaning to ask about the crazy organ music in those commercials. I really like it. it sounds like its playing off a warped record or something... I dunno, its pretty cool. I'd be interested to know who made that music. They were probably stoned off their asses.

There was a good article in Slate about those ads. Regarding the music:

"Finally, perhaps my favorite part of this campaign is the music. It's by Charlie Campbell, a composer in Portland, Ore., (where Wieden & Kennedy is based), and he wrote each piece specifically for the spot it's used in. His sweetly quirky sound is in large part what makes these ads so charming."

The article is entitled: "Aliens Don't Do Drugs: The best anti-pot ad ever" from the June 18, 2007 Slate. By Seth Stevenson.

I concur. Hand drawn dogs and aliens with carousel music is irresistable.

I also have anxiety up the wazoo. Yep, ages 19-24 is the time it generally manifests itself. I was in college, and I recall staring at the sky out a classroom window, and thinking "Wow, that goes out to infinity." Then I had to go to a bathroom and hyperventilate and cry.

Many drugs, prescribed and copped, help a little. But really you just need to learn to deep breath and calm yourself if you actually want to cure it and not just mask the symptoms.

I think it's a function of modern society. We evolved for a zillion years hunting and gathering. We're not meant to sit all day in desks under surreal flickering fluorescent lights and stare at flickering computer screens and mountains of papers!