Which Rapp ALBUM would you like to see "Deluxed"

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
The way Masta Ace - Take A Look Around was handled , i'd like to see some other ones get "re-done"extensive liner noteof the era photosUnreleased shitall the B-sides and 12" releasesIm not gonna go w/ a private Mind Garden Pick - ill go w/ a "staple".... Paid In Full3 Feet High And High Rising they got the "treatment"Add on

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't think we're going to see too many more of these; it's unfortunate that rap reaching an age and point of cultural acceptance where "deluxe" treatment would be a possibility is coinciding with the virtual end of CDs. I just don't think you're going to see many labels interested in investing the effort/money.

The unfortunate truth is that most of the efforts up to this point have been pretty shoddy.

The two best ones I've seen are Critical Beatdown and Road to the Riches. The four Run DMC ones weren't bad, either.

I'd like to see a real Illmatic--not that bullschitt with the reworked cover art and the recent remixes.

I was virtually certain there would be a special 10th anniversary Reasonable Doubt, but I don't think there was--I wouldn't trust dame to get it right, anyway.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    THEY aslo did the first couple kool g raps and critical beatdown as well!

i'd like to see 36 chambers, with some good quality demos and remixes. deluxes are the shit.

Illmatic--not that bullschitt with the reworked cover art and the recent remixes.

they dropped the ball HARD on this one. think of all the stuff they could've put on this. shit, it wouldnt even have to be a double cd, the album a half hour long. giveus some of those early versions, and some of the dozens of remixes.

new remixes??? gtfoohwtbs!!

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts

For the sheer fact that I had never listened to this album until a few years ago, and it's fuckin dope. Don't know how many people would consider it a hip-hop classic but I think it's definitely a noteworthy album.

and definitely...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Faux,

I'm not as certain that the time is past though I agree - labels might be gunshy if they're expecting to make a ton of money but I think there's an emergent market of older cats thtd be down for rap deluxe sets.

Could not agree more - the Illmatic CD was terrible.
    I don't think we're going to see too many more of these; it's unfortunate that rap reaching an age and point of cultural acceptance where "deluxe" treatment would be a possibility is coinciding with the virtual end of CDs. I just don't think you're going to see many labels interested in investing the effort/money.

The unfortunate truth is that most of the efforts up to this point have been pretty shoddy.

The two best ones I've seen are Critical Beatdown and Road to the Riches. The four Run DMC ones weren't bad, either.

I'd like to see a real Illmatic--not that bullschitt with the reworked cover art and the recent remixes.

I was virtually certain there would be a special 10th anniversary Reasonable Doubt, but I don't think there was--I wouldn't trust dame to get it right, anyway.

I'd like to see jIve put out a Tribe boxset with at least the first three discs plus a bonus disc of unreleased and remix joints.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    It would be cool to have a version of Three Feet High and Rising
    with a bonus disc with all the remixes and extra songs from the 12"'s.
    I'd buy that.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'd like to see albums that were squeezed into a single LP reissued as two LPs so that they don't sound like ass.

I'd buy that.

ummm....

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I'd buy that.

You're kidding right? They did that already.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I think there's an emergent market of older cats thtd be down for rap deluxe sets.

This might be true, but i think that alot albums will not be deluxed due to the development of sampling laws. Wasn't there someone on this board who said that they wanted to do a deluxe version of "It takes a nation..." but due to the heavy sampling it will not see the light of day? That album would also be my pick...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I'd buy that.

You're kidding right? They did that already.

Nope wasn't kidding, I never saw a deluxe edition, but I wasn't really looking
    either. This was just the first lp that came to mind for me.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Cop that shit son. Worth it just for 'Double Huey Skit' alone.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I think there's an emergent market of older cats thtd be down for rap deluxe sets.

This might be true, but i think that alot albums will not be deluxed due to the development of sampling laws. Wasn't there someone on this board who said that they wanted to do a deluxe version of "It takes a nation..." but due to the heavy sampling it will not see the light of day? That album would also be my pick...

Yeah, that was me. Sadly, it ain't gonna happen. Much as it would be justified artistically and even commercially, the statute of limitations on copyright infringement is active from the date of the most recent exploitation. The album itself will probably stay on the catalogue forever, but any kind of reissue would set in motion a fresh statute of limitations relating to the uncleared samples on the o.g. version. I know there was a lot of enthusiasm for this project within Universal's catalogue marketing department, but they'd be literally buried in lawsuits if they went ahead with it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Theyve got to be sittin' on some shit w/ this one.

I would even put this in a DVD format w/ all the videos/BET/MTV appearences/Live stuff
    New Interviews......I wanna here from Laface and what cats have to say about it now.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I would even put this in a DVD format w/ all the videos/BET/MTV appearences/Live stuff
    New Interviews......I wanna here from Laface and what cats have to say about it now.

Oh, definitely. The DVD angle is a good idea, too - the tenth anniversary DVD of Oasis' "Definitely Maybe" came with a hilarious documentary about the making of the album, and that's the kind of approach I'd like to see applied to hip-hop records too. I just finished reading Roni Sarig's book about Southern hip-hop, "Third Coast", and the sections covering the genesis of the whole Dungeon Family set-up had me rushing back to records like this one, the Cool Breeze album and the first Goodie Mob joint. I get the feeling, though, that 1993 probably isn't quite long ago enough yet for Sony Legacy to get their dig on for a deluxe version. Nevertheless, I could see some kind of future Outkast box set job being pretty interesting.

• I would have to say something better than the Doin Damage Expanded version. That one i would pay for a double cd. One I really wanted already saw a deluxe edition.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Simply vinyl has a nice pressing of Illmatic on thick, high quality wax. They also got 36 chambers, too.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    The first that came to mind for a great 2CDset:
    IMG SRC=http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/d/diamondthep_stuntsblu_101b.jpg>

Simply vinyl has a nice pressing of Illmatic on thick, high quality wax. They also got 36 chambers, too.

i want some bonus tracks. demos, outtakes, remixes, etc...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    If you're going to "deluxe" anything, then you gotta do it with some high production values. Traffic did a bunch of electra re-issues on double vinyl a few years back and they were pretty awful. Sounded like a CD, not like wax, and the cover art looked like it was scanned. Now, they're doing the cold chillin' ish. I think those are made waaaaaaaaaaay better, tho. Plus, there's alot of extra material on em. That's cool.

• I'd like to see a real Illmatic--not that bullschitt with the reworked cover art and the recent remixes.

i want some bonus tracks. demos, outtakes, remixes, etc...

Those nas rare & remixed vol 1 & 2 bootlegs are not bad although the sound is ass. I think volume one had the original represent demo version that guy was requesting over in the mp3 request thread.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Well, the Cold Chillin & Strong City reissues come out of a legitimate deal with the former label(s) owners/publishers. All of the other stuff...not so much.

The first that came to mind for a great 2CDset:
    IMG SRC=http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/d/diamondthep_stuntsblu_101b.jpg>

That album cover is still heat after all these years.

So would u include the Instramental LP as an extra?
    How many videos came off this album... Sally Got A One Track Mind & Best Kept Secret?

All those B-sides digitized.....

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the biggest problem w/ that illmatic reissue was the 'remastering' job was utterly shit

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Oh, definitely. The DVD angle is a good idea, too - the tenth anniversary DVD of Oasis' "Definitely Maybe" came with a hilarious documentary about the making of the album, and that's the kind of approach I'd like to see applied to hip-hop records too. I just finished reading Roni Sarig's book about Southern hip-hop, "Third Coast", and the sections covering the genesis of the whole Dungeon Family set-up had me rushing back to records like this one, the Cool Breeze album and the first Goodie Mob joint. I get the feeling, though, that 1993 probably isn't quite long ago enough yet for Sony Legacy to get their dig on for a deluxe version. Nevertheless, I could see some kind of future Outkast box set job being pretty interesting.

This one would be nice to get both fuckin mixes of Player's Ball on one CD.

What's the song thats on Laface XMass comp.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

What's the song thats on Laface XMass comp.

That might be the "remix", but the "remix" was on the 12", not on the album. I just don't wanna have my friend burn a one song CD and instead have it all on the album. Just like having the Punks Jump Up "good mix" on In God We Trust and the "good mix" for Fakin The Funk should've been on the goddamn White Men Can't Jump album instead of the decent mix. It's so funny how between those songs, the words are different (for no apparent reason, censoring the word blunts? and "locked in trunks?" tepid) as well as the mix itself on the "original" album mix is slower and pitched slightly different, and is way shorter. [/rant]

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    If you're going to "deluxe" anything, then you gotta do it with some high production values. Traffic did a bunch of electra re-issues on double vinyl a few years back and they were pretty awful. Sounded like a CD, not like wax, and the cover art looked like it was scanned. Now, they're doing the cold chillin' ish. I think those are made waaaaaaaaaaay better, tho. Plus, there's alot of extra material on em. That's cool.

Exactly. It tends to be this tradeoff between OG microscopic grooves and digitized garbage reissues. Seldom do they get it right.

Yeah, that was me. Sadly, it ain't gonna happen. Much as it would be justified artistically and even commercially, the statute of limitations on copyright infringement is active from the date of the most recent exploitation. The album itself will probably stay on the catalogue forever, but any kind of reissue would set in motion a fresh statute of limitations relating to the uncleared samples on the o.g. version. I know there was a lot of enthusiasm for this project within Universal's catalogue marketing department, but they'd be literally buried in lawsuits if they went ahead with it.

Doc,

How did Tommy Boy get away with the "3 Ft. High" deluxe set then? Did the Turtles case take care of all outstanding samples on this album?