Art Ensemble of Chicago AvantGarde JAZZppreciation

obscure_addictobscure_addict 869 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Revisiting some old friends here, just close your eyes and imagine, yes this group was on some pioneer type steez in the avant garde jazz scene, miles davis fans take notice and appreciate the heavyweight status. These are two albums that will never ever leave my collection. If you don't know already its bout damn time you got familiar.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    miles davis fans take notice and appreciate the heavyweight status.
    miles quintet tribute song 'dreaming of the master' off nice guys is so so gangster

i caught the beginning of sonic youth tonite @ 'pitchfork fest' after watching gza (medium-tolerable) and while they were setting up they played 'theme de yo yo'

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I do not dislike AEC, but they are pretty "light beer avant garde jazz", IMO.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ban

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

That said, they are a good entry into the genre. One of the first avant records I heard was Fanfare for the Warriors. About this time, I was heavily into Coltrane and had just moved into his later stuff via Meditations. It fit perfectly for what I was into and also brought me into all that AACM stuff.

People in Sorrow is a top ten for me.

• This group is off the chain original fresh style anything else said is exactly that opinion only.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    true next level shit! i once had the honour to play in roma italy just one day after AEOC had played in the venue. wow. i guess i was nowhere as exciting as these peeps.

what about that AEOC/fontella bass record? "les stance a sophie" ? worth the $$??

d.

• About 10 years later this masterpiece came out... get on the ulmer train and start riding for him.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

expound, plaese

expound, plaese

They did some albums I enjoy but also did a lot of mediocre stuff. I guess it's to be expected as they recorded a lot. I find some of the whimsical/satirical stuff they did kinda tiring and also there is a lot of superficial weirdness to them that I am not down with. I guess my point is that they are fairly palatable avant garde. Far from the darkest reaches of the spectrum. the one I like that I've kept is the pre-AEC Roscoe Mitchell album on Delmark. It's basically them, but it's a straighter free jazz album without a lot of the gimmicks.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    This group is off the chain original fresh style anything else said is exactly that opinion only.

hey, great stuff, thanks for posting!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I like AAOC and light beer. What does that make me Jeff?

I like AAOC and light beer. What does that make me Jeff?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

People in Sorrow is a top ten for me.

i also like the mitchell solo record on delmark and the malachi favors solo on aacm records.

This group is off the chain original fresh style anything else said is exactly that opinion only.

hey, great stuff, thanks for posting!!

first impression was like, this sounds like JBs cold sweat converted into somekinda caveman jazzfunk using sticks and bones...
    with the bassline and the drum rhythm, anybody else hear that connection?

• I can see where you'd get that

group members on this lp

Lester Bowie, Malachi Favors, Roscoe Mitchell, Joseph Jarman

the entire album was recorded in france from june23 69 & aug12 69

an idea of the instruments played on the b side where that track is from.

trumpet, fluegelhorn, bass drum, horns, 3 different saxes, clarinet, flute, cymbols, gongs, conga drums, logs, bells, siren, whistles, steel drum, oboe, marimba, vibes, guitar, banjo, fender bass, cythar and plenty of other percussion instruments.

I can see where you'd get that

group members on this lp

Lester Bowie, Malachi Favors, Roscoe Mitchell, Joseph Jarman

the entire album was recorded in france from june23 69 & aug12 69

an idea of the instruments played on the b side where that track is from.

trumpet, fluegelhorn, bass drum, horns, 3 different saxes, clarinet, flute, cymbols, gongs, conga drums, logs, bells, siren, whistles, steel drum, oboe, marimba, vibes, guitar, banjo, fender bass, cythar and plenty of other percussion instruments.

yeah, i mean like what happens in the non-stop joint from weather reports hardest record... Jb inspiration, actually this particular rock out track dosent feel that advant, more like some early ass fusion jazzfunk, all up on recs like that!!
    never really hit the rightr joints with aeoc either, a few of their more free/ advant common releases which ive never felt deeply about to be honest.
    the only joint that has been a want of mine for long time is (suprise surprise) Les stances a Sophie... seems theres another one to add to the wants list now!!!