Sushi at home ... advice?

SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm planning on dabbling with the . Anyone have any advice regarding obtaining fish, transporting/storing fish, preparation, good recipes for the "first time", etc? Sake recommendations?I'll google around but I often have more faith in this place as a resource, especially when it comes to food.Thanks.

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i'd stay away from these:

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    i'd stay away from these:

Where's your sense of adventure? I mean, as long as its prepared correctly, you're not going to die.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    So I'm planning on dabbling with the . Anyone have any advice regarding obtaining fish, transporting/storing fish, preparation, good recipes for the "first time", etc? Sake recommendations?

I'll google around but I often have more faith in this place as a resource, especially when it comes to food.

Thanks.

Don't do it, dude. Sushi should be made by professionals. My aunt nearly killed a large portion of my family making Sushi.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    action jackson likes fugu?

sushi is deceptively simple, yet infinitely complex. I would never attempt to make anything at home for that reason, I leave it to the professionals. If you must, I highly suggest you find a fish monger that supplies to sushi restaurants in your area. You might end up supporting the Moonies, hah!

shari (sushi rice) is a complex science, the most I would tackle at home is buying good fish and cutting it for sashimi. An ultra sharp knife is a must, please cut fish into pieces that can be eaten in one bite.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    please cut fish into pieces that can be eaten in one bite.

I get pissed when places cut the pieces to big.

shari (sushi rice) is a complex science, the most I would tackle at home is buying good fish and cutting it for sashimi. An ultra sharp knife is a must, please cut fish into pieces that can be eaten in one bite.

I tend to gravitate towards sashimi anyway. And yes, it seems like assembling rolls in a reasonably appetizing form would require a lot of practice with rice preparation, rolling, etc. Of course, just the little clump of rice with fish may not be so bad. My friend has a "kit", so I assume that she's thinking about rolls.

Japanese restaurants are clearly the ideal places to consume sushi. That said, it does seem intriguing and potentially fun (as long as noone dies). Has anyone here prepared sushi/sashimi, enjoyed it, and lived?

please cut fish into pieces that can be eaten in one bite.

I get pissed when places cut the pieces to big.

Yeah ... having to eat it in two bites is

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i would start out with vegetarian sushi first. get the technique down. sushi chefs are trained and make it look easy, but when you get down to it it's pretty confusing and complicated. once you got the technique down i'd move onto fish and other sea creatures.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

Has anyone here prepared sushi/sashimi, enjoyed it, and lived?

my grandparents used to make it all the time when i was growing up. all you need to do is go to a good fish market and get some sushi grade tuna or whatever. slice it up and grub. it's not really that scary until you start using questionable fish.

i would start out with vegetarian sushi first. get the technique down. sushi chefs are trained and make it look easy, but when you get down to it it's pretty confusing and complicated. once you got the technique down i'd move onto fish and other sea creatures.

Probably good advice. I've made veggie sushi, but some years have passed and I'd need practice. This came out of a friend's idea for a dinner party at my apartment. My primary goal would be for everyone to be well fed and comfortable. Serving sloppily prepared food that may kill them would likely spoil the mood.

my grandparents used to make it all the time when i was growing up. all you need to do is go to a good fish market and get some sushi grade tuna or whatever. slice it up and grub. it's not really that scary until you start using questionable fish.

I live in a port town, so I should be able to track down quality fish. Perhaps my friend and I should do a practice run by ourselves before involving, and potentially killing, other people.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I live in a port town, so I should be able to track down quality fish. Perhaps my friend and I should do a practice run by ourselves before involving, and potentially killing, other people.

Practice making the rice. As mentioned earlier, it requires a lot of attention to detail, and it goes way beyond simple American methods. If you buy high quality fish from a real fish market, that component will take care of itself, as long as you have a super sharp knife (like someone else also said). Don't forget the ponzu.

Buy the fish the day of the dinner. Store the fish in the fridge on a piece of plastic wrap that is over a bed of ice. Pour off the water every now and then and add more ice. Don't forget about it, or the nice expensive fish will be sitting in a puddle of water.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Sushi is not that difficult. Get a mat, make the short-grained rice, sweeten it & fan it, prep all the ingredients, and roll it up. I make it all the time; it's really that simple.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    My aunt nearly killed a large portion of my family making Sushi.

so close.