EMERGENCY!!! ITUNES RELATED

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Had my labtop on a minute ago with itunes, safari, and ichat on at the same time, running off the battery. Itunes froze and my labtop started making a clicking and beeping noise. Turned it off, waited ten seconds then turned it back on. When I went to open itunes, rather than the usual loading of the library, it said "loading itunes xml", followed by a popup screen saying "itunes library damaged, loading itunes library". Then I closed itunes and re-opened it. Now there are 1.7 gigs of music as opposed to what was 50 gigs or so. I can't retrieve any of the old files within itunes. TELL ME THIS IS NOT HAPPENING. A large portion of that stuff was not backed up. I just bought a 250 external and was planning on backing up most of my files this weekend. WTF!!!???? Is there a way to retrieve any of those files??!! HEELLLPPP!!!!

Comments

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    update: Microwave works, I can access all of the files that were in itunes, and they're all showing up in Microwave. But how do I access these files and get 'em back into itunes into the perfectly organized genre playlists that were there before? Sorry if this is obvious, I've never been tech savvy. Thanks peoples.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Wussup N**! Sorry, but I can't help you with this.

My girl uses iTunes on my laptop for her iPod. She's been complaining that once in a while it automatically deletes tracks from the playlist. The whole iTunes thing with the ghost-files and all has always been annoying to me.

It does all this automatical stuff all the time and takes too much room from the hard-drive. I don't understand why it can't store the files in the iPod, but has to keep them at two places at the same time. Stupid machines!

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    Goto your user folder > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music

As long as you haven't had any data loss, everything should be listed there by Artist Name. Just drag and drop back into the iTunes library.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I think you just have to re-dump all those files back in your iTunes. though they're not showing up in the playlists or whatever, they are still there (I hope). You just have to activate them. Find your mp3 folders and start clicking and dragging them into your iTunes player

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Yeah, iTunes can be a bitch sometimes. It took me a while to "get" it. The safest and quickest way to deal with this would be to open iTunes and, as mentioned above, grab the entire "Music->iTunes->iTunes Music" folder and drag it into your library. You may end up having doubles of certain things (at least it will look like you do) but you can clean that up later.

What was damaged was not your actual music files. Within your "Music->iTunes" folder you see a data file called iTunes Library. This file keeps track of what is in your iTunes Music folder and where each file is stored. If you've ever clicked on a track in iTunes and seen a "file not found" sort of message, it's because somehow a music file was moved or deleted without that data file being updated. Similarly, your data file is telling you you have only a small amount of music in your library when actually you still have tons. By dragging your iTunes Music folder into iTunes, you're simply updating the data file ... "reminding" iTunes what you have in your folder.

Because all of the tracks will simply be added to the library, any tracks that were already on there will likely appear twice within iTunes. It doesn't mean that you have two files ... it just means that iTunes has created two paths to the same file.

If you want to avoid the mess of "doubles", you can first delete everything left in your library (making sure that you "Keep Files"). Then just dump the iTunes Music folder back in. Unfortunately, if you do this, you lose the content of any playlists that you have ... so if you have a lot of playlists, don't do this.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Had my labtop on a minute ago with itunes, safari, and ichat on at the same time, running off the battery. Itunes froze and my labtop started making a clicking and beeping noise. Turned it off, waited ten seconds then turned it back on. When I went to open itunes, rather than the usual loading of the library, it said "loading itunes xml", followed by a popup screen saying "itunes library damaged, loading itunes library". Then I closed itunes and re-opened it. Now there are 1.7 gigs of music as opposed to what was 50 gigs or so. I can't retrieve any of the old files within itunes. TELL ME THIS IS NOT HAPPENING. A large portion of that stuff was not backed up. I just bought a 250 external and was planning on backing up most of my files this weekend. WTF!!!???? Is there a way to retrieve any of those files??!! HEELLLPPP!!!!

damn homie, for a second I thought you lost it at all (wheren't we just talking about that?)

BACK THEM SHITS U PMUH FUCKA!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I've heard too many itunes horror stories to ever wanna mess with it.

What's wrong with folders and crates?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I always have this problem that whenever I record a song a rip a track from a cd into Microwave, and I play it ITUNES it always disappears from my crate. Which makes have to always do a quick search and drag it again into the crate.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    under macintosh hd/users/your username/music/itunes/

you will find two files:

iTunes Music Library
    iTunes Music Library.xml

now that you've been burned by the magic corrupt data file error, I suggest you periodically backup these two files. I've had to recreate hundreds of playlists before. Now I've learned my lesson and I periodically backup these two files. Even if it does corrupt, I will only have to back track from the last backup.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I concur with Snagglepuss and Aser. Just drag your entire Itunes Music Folder into the libary window and the files should be added again. I don't even think you'll get duplicate references, but if you do, just go to View->Show Duplicates and you can delete the redundant ones.

You didn't lose the mp3 files, but you probably lost some playlist info, so Aser's advice to back up those two data files once in a while is a good idea.

Luckily, I never experienced this problem *knock on wood*

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Thanks guys, once I realized the flies were still there I frantically ripped open the external and immediately backed up the entire "itunes music" folder. So that's taken care of.

Now when I follow these steps:

under macintosh hd/users/your username/music/itunes/

you will find two files:

iTunes Music Library
    iTunes Music Library.xml

I'm also seeing "ITunes Music Library (Damaged)" and and data file titled "temp file". Does this make more sense? So I'm guessing I'll have to just drag the folder like you guys were saying and then build all the playlists again. thanks again for the help duders.

now that you've been burned by the magic corrupt data file error, I suggest you periodically backup these two files. I've had to recreate hundreds of playlists before. Now I've learned my lesson and I periodically backup these two files. Even if it does corrupt, I will only have to back track from the last backup.