how 2 deal with (record shop related)...

downtown72downtown72 125 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
...fools that preview EVERYTHING on the listening stations and then buy like one $2.99 turd. (yeah, i'm peeved doggies). ok, after a couple hours one of 2 guys spent $24. still, in my book.so how to get around putting up a bunch of lame "listening stations are only for people BUYING stuff! (or at least a reasonable percentage of what yer listening to" type of signs? always hated seeing those things...* i know. record store dudes griping is so

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It sounds like you need to quit.

Not even joking - I knew it was time to get out of that
    business when I was letting shit like that make me
    crazy. #1 RULE OF RECORD STORE EMPLOYMENT: IGNORE EVERYONE

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    PS if you own the place, never mind - just either
    turn into "laid back dude" that doesn't give a fuck
    or become "fascist dude" and start handing out lifetime
    bans

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    That's why Groove Merchant rules, they have good stock and Chris has a blahzay attitude in a good way in the store... all they need is a pedicure salon next door for the ladies....

I mean shit, I've walked up to the listening booth with a half-a-crate and bought nothing before (especially in Euro countrys)... I seriously would have listened to over 1,000 records in russia and bought just short of 100, the store owners were VERY COOL, made me want to come back for more...

peace.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You can put a limit of records to be listened to, or you can just let them hang... I mean if they are listening to valuable records ($30+) you can be a bit peeved. I ask that people only listen to stuff they're at least mildly interested in purchasing... if it's somewhat valuable. But if someone wants to listen to 100 $5 records do you really expect anything else? These are not the kind of people who are going to spend $200 on a stack. They are going to spend $22 on $30 worth of records and haggle for the other $8 so they can throw down on a six pack or a twomp sack.

Like SOI said though, if you're letting shit like this get to you man... I don't know. Are you mad that they didn't buy anything, or that they were listening? It's a record store. You either have a station, and some people will inevitably abuse it, or you don't and people will abuse you. Take your pick. If public interaction is not your bag, there's always ebay.

I don't really have a problem with someone listening to a grip of stuff unless others are waiting. I just go about my business.

• downtown72downtown72 125 Posts
    i am all about chris/groovemerchant's mellow mantra. so far it has worked at my place - in regards to dudes coming back and being like, "yeah, J's a nice guy. *grin*

and i've definitely listened to plenty of fat stacks and bought just a few at other places. just wondering tho (or being paranoid????) - now that i'm the owner, am i letting dudes get a little too casual with those "unwritten record store rules" (dont play dj, keep yer grimey fingers off the vinyl, dont grab shit off the wall like you own it, etc, etc.) - or just being mr. sensitive?

(jinx - you out there??!!! how does JT bring the heat if necessary? Good Records NYC ? when do dudes overdue it at the stations??? (or at least regale us with some in-store smackdown stories )

edit - just missed your post before writing this JP

• ...fools that preview EVERYTHING on the listening stations and then buy like one $2.99 turd. (yeah, i'm peeved doggies). ok, after a couple hours one of 2 guys spent $24.

still, in my book.

so how to get around putting up a bunch of lame "listening stations are only for people BUYING stuff! (or at least a reasonable percentage of what yer listening to" type of signs? always hated seeing those things...

* i know. record store dudes griping is so

twat store is this? what was the purchased turd?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah just be polite until someone violates. Then all bets are off.

I have had very few problems with people abusing the records.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    In Japan, they have the "2 record" rule, and you wait in line, 2 records, "keep" or "cancel" then return to the line... such a good but painful system, watching them unwrap and rewrap every record up with the price tag each time...

twat store is this? what was the purchased turd?

http://myspace.com/onthecornermusic
    after pulling the william devaughn be thankful LP, Ballinjack LP, some Wu and other old-school 12s, reggae, jazz, 45s, and a plethora of solid digger101basics, he left with a handful of Georges - Duke and Benson.

• twat store is this? what was the purchased turd?

http://myspace.com/onthecornermusic
    after pulling the william devaughn be thankful LP, Ballinjack LP, some Wu and other old-school 12s, reggae, jazz, 45s, and a plethora of solid digger101basics, he left with a handful of Georges - Duke and Benson.

I guess why its record shopping, not buying. you can't please everyone, 'specially these uber collectro types right? or else you need to step your inventory game up.

VS
    ???

whats on the wall there?

???

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    How much for the B.L. Jefferson? Heh.

• How much for the B.L. Jefferson? Heh.

if you have to ask...

No idea, but there's one in the corner at village amongst the other

• Well if they only have a few bucks to spend, they have to make sure the record is !

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

???

RAP IS THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY BLUES

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I'M SICK OF RECORD STORE STORES DUDES CRYING ALL THE TIME. TOUGH JOB? PLEASE.

YOU SOUND ALL EMO AND BORED.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    "DUDE TOOK A BUNCH OF 45S TO THE LISTENING STATION AND ONLY BOUGHT ONE"

THAT'S A REAAAL PROBLEM RIGHT THERE

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    "DUDE WAS BUYING 3 RECORDS AND ASKED FOR A DISCOUNT. I SAID NO. HE LEFT WITHOUT BUYING ANYTHING. WHY MUST I CRY"

YOU SOUND ALL BUSINESS-MINDED LIKE EVERY CUSTOMER MEANS SOMETHING. AND BORED.

yes.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    How much for the B.L. Jefferson? Heh.

No idea, but there's one in the corner at village

Damn.

• ???

RAP IS THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY BLUES

dynamic. however, I doubt that'll ever stem the tide of demand for roots blues, and predict that bay area rap records ever command dollars that could buy a new automobile

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

YOU SOUND ALL BUSINESS-MINDED LIKE EVERY CUSTOMER MEANS SOMETHING. AND BORED.

yes.

j*ff,

well its always nice for passerbys to see inside the store and see people 'shopping' etc thur enticing others to do the same and possibbly buy stuff. anything to get the foot traffic up is good right?

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    Yeah just be polite until someone violates. Then all bets are off.

I have had very few problems with people abusing the records.

my homie told me a tsl related story.... some cat from the pjs up the street was in there listening,eating rice and beans and spilled shit all over the records..rob flipped..dude was like "yo son you want me to clean it up"- then rob screamed "ge the fawk ou de liiiibrary"

always thought that was hilarious.