Musicians that should never have touched the mic

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Making weenie bossa covers of The Beatles was bad enough,but adding that tenous mumbling on top of it didn't exactly help.You could at least have gotten some Brazilian exiles to do the damn sabadabada.I guess Leon Thomas was out of town, eh Joe?Stick to slapz and producing, Marcus.Or do like Herbie and patch everything through the vocoder.Add on...

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    uli jon roth
    bob dylan
    allen ginsberg
    wlliam shatner
    lenard nemoy

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    i was gonna make the same thread!

my votes go to Gary Bartz and Roy Ayers- brilliant musicians, not good singers. i know there's other too...

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    uli jon roth
    bob dylan
    allen ginsberg
    wlliam shatner
    lenard nemoy

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Blair!!!
    Great song writer & can play the guitar. I love his LP but the songs where he's trying to sing.....

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    my votes go to Gary Bartz and Roy Ayers- brilliant musicians, not good singers.

Roy Ayers' singing is OK in my book. I'm on the fence when it comes to Gary Bartz. I was going to put "Singerella" up there with the others, but I think Gary's voice fits the mood somehow, even though it is off-key and not that strong.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Jean Carn

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Jean Carn

Yeah, her voice can be a bit intrusive. But she was strictly a singer, so that doesn't really count. I was thinking more along the lines of musicians who first gained notoriety playing a certain instrument and then tried their hand at singing.

Actors-turned-singers don't count either.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

my votes go to Gary Bartz and Roy Ayers[/b]- brilliant musicians, not good singers. i know there's other too...

Ditch "everybody loves the sunshine"?

SACRILEGE!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Geater Davis' voice makes me wanna kick puppies...horrible fuckin' singer...

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

my votes go to Gary Bartz and Roy Ayers[/b]- brilliant musicians, not good singers. i know there's other too...

Ditch "everybody loves the sunshine"?

SACRILEGE!

naw man, i was just listening to Roy last night, and he actually sounds OK, but it's like, what if he had hired a real, trained singer to sing some of those parts? could've taken it to another level.
    But yeah you're right, Roy sounds aight on the mic. Bartz, though, i can barely listen to some of that stuff with him singing. There's other cats like this too from the same era, i'm just blanking on names

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Add on...

In a similar late 70's-early 80's session cat vein:

Greg Phillinganes

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

my votes go to Gary Bartz and Roy Ayers- brilliant musicians, not good singers. i know there's other too...

Is it Gary Bartz singing on "I've known Rivers"? cause if it is i wouldnt trade that voice for any other on that song, its so perfect.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    prince. i don't mean for singing but when the lil homie tries to rap....