My Yacht Belongs In Your Marina (The AM Gold Mix)

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
73 minutes103mb192kbps 1. 10cc - I'm Not In Love2. Climax Blues Band - I Love You 3. Ace - How Long 4. Styx - Babe5. Benny Mardones - Into The Night 6. Paul Davis - I Go Crazy 7. Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky 8. Christopher Cross - All Right9. Jack Wagner - All I Need10. America - Sister Golden Hair11. Joe Jackson - Breaking Us In Two 12. Steve Perry - Oh Sherrie13. Air Supply - Lost In Love14. Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynold - Fallin' In Love15. Stevie Nicks And Don Henley - Leather And Lace16. Dan Fogelberg - Longer Than 17. Todd Rundgren - hello its me18. Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is19. Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away20. Robbie Dupree - Steal Away21. Sara Smile - Daryl Hall & John Oates22. Paul Davis - Cool Night

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    you lost me by putting styx in there
    it interferes with my testosterone uptake

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    this mix is the shit! thanks man

dude, this reminds me of dr. schmidts office and that damn tooth polishing machine they used to use, small paper cups filled with fluoride and whatnot.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Best mix name ever.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it's inspired by magic 106.7's "bedtime magic" with david allen boucher in boston.
    talking in that smooth late night voice, he was always giving away magic 106.7 night shirts and shower caps.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Oh man ... we were just flipping about that 10cc jam last night. And you start off the mix with it. I'm going to set sail immediately. Many thanks!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Oh man ... we were just flipping about that 10cc jam last night.

i listened to this on saturday! i remembered how awesome the musikladen video was

this has to be tongue in cheek

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Now do it with privates.

I just called my BBQ partner Sara to inform her about this amazing new influx of AM Gold (I'm also building a new mix as I type this ... and was working on it when I saw Jaymack's post).

Anyway, she's at the beach and as I was speaking to her, she was staring at a sign that read "New London Yacht Club Cabana Members Only".

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    dope mix. i am a huge fan of the 70's soft rock. a little disappointed that i didn't hear "sailing" by christopher cross, "sail on" by the commodores or "come sail away" by styx. you know, given the theme and all....

• dope mix. i am a huge fan of the 70's soft rock. a little disappointed that i didn't hear "sailing" by christopher cross, "sail on" by the commodores or "come sail away" by styx. you know, given the theme and all....

there were a couple of other mixes put up in the other soft rock thread, i imagine jaymack was tryin to "flip the script", as it were....

dope mix. i am a huge fan of the 70's soft rock. a little disappointed that i didn't hear "sailing" by christopher cross, "sail on" by the commodores or "come sail away" by styx. you know, given the theme and all....

there were a couple of other mixes put up in the other soft rock thread, i imagine jaymack was tryin to "flip the script", as it were....

yeah i tried not to "crossover"

thanks for listenin.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    my boss and I are totally "feeling" this. Next tyme ye shall not forget "Brandy" -- Looking Glass and "My Maria" -- BW Stevenson.

MY LOVE< MY LIFE< AND MY LADY IS THE SEA.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    LOL! This is great Jaymack!

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    this a real fun mix - thanks for posting it!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I love when SoulStrut reaches its full potential. Hats off, and many thanks!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    YES!

Thank you.

My morning just got 1000X better.

Hats off.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Finally - someone who knows their shit. I don't care if it took a series of youtube videos to bring the yachting movement full steam ahead (no pun intended) - now we're getting to thick of things. Private press yacht rock is about to make a big impact. Matthew Larkin Cassell anyone?

Good fuckin mix maing. Odd but also refreshing to see such a mix minus any Ken Doll, Brother McDonald or Steel Toe Dan in there. Good looks.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    And he has put the tracklist in the "Comment" tag. Awww!!! Saved me the hassle. I appreciate this - God is in the details.

Private press yacht rock is about to make a big impact.

This would be interesting. And, frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a slew of new "retro yacht rock" bands. I'm guessing that Beck will put out a yacht rock record soon enough.

But, honestly, I think a large part of the appeal of these songs is the sense of nostalgia that they provide. We're constantly playing this stuff while grilling and drinking these days and I find that most of the fun comes from rocking out and singing along. Everyone knows every word and every guitar lick. (By the way, I do a killer "Sad Eyes" falsetto ... that last chorus, " ... turn the other way ...". Yeah.) So I'm not sure that the private press stuff would hit as hard. I'd still like to hear some, though.

By the way, I've come up with the top retro yacht rock band name: Peter, Paul and Oates.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

This would be interesting. And, frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a slew of new "retro yacht rock" bands. I'm guessing that Beck will put out a yacht rock record soon enough.

Were it not for their whole backwoodsman/Americana steez, I'd say these guys could make a convincing case for being nuevo-yachtrockers.

Were it not for their whole backwoodsman/Americana steez, I'd say these guys could make a convincing case for being nuevo-yachtrockers.

I can hear that. And with bands like America being a surefire part of original AM gold, Midlake fits the mold.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    To say I'm looking forward to listening to this on the way home would be a gross understatement - cheers Jaymack.

PS My karoake foreigner slays all. I've left grown men floored before.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Good looks on the Paul Young. I have not heard this since the 80s!

Cue neck bob.

"Everytime you go... awayyy..."

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

If I remember correctly, Phoenix's first album has a few tracks that are very nautical.

Also, Chromeo's "Momma's Boy," off their new one, reminds me of Hall and Oates for some reason.

loving this mix! i'm on my 4th listen. the paul davis and benny mardone joints are i could listen to this kind of stuff all day. makes for a relaxing work day.

• Listened to this on Amtrak yesterday morning on my way to the Jack London Square station. Many many memories.

Thanks. Great selection!

i listened to it at work all day, 2 days in a row now. obsessed? maybe. who's asking?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

But, honestly, I think a large part of the appeal of these songs is the sense of nostalgia that they provide. We're constantly playing this stuff while grilling and drinking these days and I find that most of the fun comes from rocking out and singing along. Everyone knows every word and every guitar lick. (By the way, I do a killer "Sad Eyes" falsetto ... that last chorus, " ... turn the other way ...". Yeah.) So I'm not sure that the private press stuff would hit as hard.

Truly - this is a 'genre' that's about the hits. Good private rock and SSW is a beautiful thing, but if it was mining strictly this territory its hard to imagine the underground version meeting or exceeding the quality of the songs everybody already knows.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    This is a lovely mix. Thanks also for the 'Summer' mix you posted a while back.

IT'S pretty amazing how many people are feeling this stuff as much as i.

thanks for aLL THE POSITIVE FEEDBACK. maybe someday a volume 2, if i can come up with some more not already played out am goldies.