Concert Prices!

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I'm going down to Florida tomorrow and was checking concert listings when I found this:Who: Steve Miller Band Where: Florida Theatre Jacksonville When: Thursday, June 21, 2007 08:00pm Price: $69.50 - $95.00 $70 for the cheap seats! For a guy that hasn't had a hit in 25 years! Now this was in Jacksonville. I'm sure tickets in bigger markets were even more expensive. This is crazy. I remember bitching about Who tickets costing $14.50 back in 1980 and I hate to be a geezer but how do bands get away with this?How are concert ticket prices in your town?

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    How are concert ticket prices in your town?

Expensive.

Local bands and smaller touring acts tend to be about $5-20. Large scale concerts go for about $60 at the low end, and can reach up to $300 for more high profile acts. We're talking $CAN here, as well.

There's good value in the summer, as Toronto often puts on free concerts around the city. Outdoor festivals are usually about $50 a day and can be a great deal if there are enough bands on the lineup that you want to see. I most often find myself wanting to see two or three bands, and not really caring much about the rest.

I feel good supporting touring bands, especially now that everybody and their brother has an indie album out and a myspace page. If you're gonna grind it across country to play little shows for your fans, then you're the type of artist that I'd like to help support. I don't mind paying a little extra.

The older bands that are doing nostalgia tours are a bit different... I don't know why people would pay the ridiculous prices some of these bands are charging. But that's the point, really. I don't understand because I'm not one of them. But, obviously, there are many many people who will drop a few bills to see one of their all time favourite bands play. Maybe it's just nostalgia. Maybe it's some kind of midlife crisis that seeks to be young again. Maybe it's a fear that they'll never get another chance to see the artist in concert again.

Who knows.

I've never paid more than $70 for a ticket to a music show. It's funny though, I'd probably pay almost twice that to see a really good orchestra performance.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I paid US$ 50 for a general admission U2 concert ticket. Yeah, that's just happened (well, not "just", it was march I think).

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    prince played 3 shows in MPLS this weekend. 1st show was $250 w/ a bottle of perfume at the Macy's dept. store. 2nd was (starting) 77.07 at the target center. 3rd. was 31.21 at First Ave.

needless to say those first ave tickets went like *snap* that.

• What's the going rate to get into a 77 person drum circle these days?

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    prince played 3 shows in MPLS this weekend. 1st show was $250 w/ a bottle of perfume at the Macy's dept. store. 2nd was (starting) 77.07 at the target center. 3rd. was 31.21 at First Ave. needless to say those first ave tickets went like *snap* that.

There were $31.21 tickets avialable to the Target Center show a couple weeks ago. True, they were in the nosebleeds behind the stage, but still, thats quite cheap for a Prince show. CSN charged near $75 for those same seats 10 years ago.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    prince played 3 shows in MPLS this weekend. 1st show was $250 w/ a bottle of perfume at the Macy's dept. store. 2nd was (starting) 77.07 at the target center. 3rd. was 31.21 at First Ave. needless to say those first ave tickets went like *snap* that.

There were $31.21 tickets avialable to the Target Center show a couple weeks ago. True, they were in the nosebleeds behind the stage, but still, thats quite cheap for a Prince show. CSN charged near $75 for those same seats 10 years ago.

well I'll be dipped. wasn't aware of that.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts

well I'll be dipped. wasn't aware of that.

note, $31.21 did not include ridiculous "convienence", "handling," or any other supplemental fees.

The line outside First Avenue on Saturday was crazy, so I got to see no Prince shows this weekend.

• I showed up at First Avenue at 2:30 am. Joined 10 others in line as band started and was inside in about 5 minutes. Couldn't believe it. Show was EXCELLENT. Crowd was going nuts. Sheila E, Wendy, Larry Graham were all present. Cops shut it down at 4am, saying they were tired and club was only permitted to go until 3am

I think he got thru 15 or so songs. Newspaper said 9 more songs were listed on setlist but weren't played due to shortened set.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I showed up at First Avenue at 2:30 am. Joined 10 others in line as band started and was inside in about 5 minutes. Couldn't believe it. Show was EXCELLENT. Crowd was going nuts. Sheila E, Wendy, Larry Graham were all present. Cops shut it down at 4am, saying they were tired and club was only permitted to go until 3am

I think he got thru 15 or so songs. Newspaper said 9 more songs were listed on setlist but weren't played due to shortened set.

LUCKY!!!!!!!! I didn't even think to do that. Arrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.