Advice For Kicking Writers Block

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Trying to cook up some fiction. Having a tough time getting motivated. I've done a lot of small-time paid journalism (record, book, film, and food reviews etc) and rarely have issues with motivation or procrastination, but sometimes when I switch gears into "creative writing" mode I freeze up.It sometimes helps me to give myself an "assignment" with a due-date, as that's one motivator with a paid non-fiction gig: I know i have no choice but to complete the assignment to word count and by the given date/time. But that trick's not cutting it this morning. Thoughts?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Trying to cook up some fiction. Having a tough time getting motivated. I've done a lot of small-time paid journalism (record, book, film, and food reviews etc) and rarely have issues with motivation or procrastination, but sometimes when I switch gears into "creative writing" mode I freeze up.

It sometimes helps me to give myself an "assignment" with a due-date, as that's one motivator with a paid non-fiction gig: I know i have no choice but to complete the assignment to word count and by the given date/time. But that trick's not cutting it this morning.

Thoughts?

Try forcing yourself to write 1000-2000 words a day. Doesnn't matter if you think it's good or not, you just have to make the word limit.

• Options
    Trying to cook up some fiction. Having a tough time getting motivated. I've done a lot of small-time paid journalism (record, book, film, and food reviews etc) and rarely have issues with motivation or procrastination, but sometimes when I switch gears into "creative writing" mode I freeze up.

It sometimes helps me to give myself an "assignment" with a due-date, as that's one motivator with a paid non-fiction gig: I know i have no choice but to complete the assignment to word count and by the given date/time. But that trick's not cutting it this morning.

Thoughts?

My two worst cases of writers block were both solved in different ways.

The first time I went into the basement and destroyed a bunch of empty cardboard boxes with a broomstick until an angle came to me.

The second time I left the house and headed for water and sat by the beach for awhile watching the waves, and for some reason the way to connect the rest of what I planned to write just clicked in my head.

All advice for beating writer's block that I've ever received revolved around getting away from what you were writing, getting out of the house/office, and getting out into life for awhile. It'll come back to you.

I'd like to see a more accomplished writer respond to this, particularly Oliver. (edit: good morning Oliver!)

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Those are good thoughts, thanks to both of you.

The hardest thing for me for fiction is getting started -- not just staring at that empty page, but also conceiving at least a solid chunk of the story arc in advance AND generating enough momentum that the writing starts flowing naturally. Once I get over those hurdles, the process becomes a lot more free-flowing and enjoyable for me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

The hardest thing for me for fiction is getting started -- not just staring at that empty page, but also conceiving at least a solid chunk of the story arc in advance AND generating enough momentum that the writing starts flowing naturally. Once I get over those hurdles, the process becomes a lot more free-flowing and enjoyable for me.

Yo - that's the same problem with non-fiction too. Anything that depends on a narrative structure can hang up a writer who likes to write in linear fashion (such as myself). The problem, as you note, is simply getting started and sometimes, it's best to abandon the idea that you have some killer opening already set up and simply get down a placeholder and try to get to the body of the work rather than hanging up forever on the opener.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I just go to the park. Fresh air and strangers really gets me going. I've also found that carrying around a little notebook helps me capture fresh ideas that I can use later.

Yo - that's the same problem with non-fiction too. Anything that depends on a narrative structure can hang up a writer who likes to write in linear fashion (such as myself). The problem, as you note, is simply getting started and sometimes, it's best to abandon the idea that you have some killer opening already set up and simply get down a placeholder and try to get to the body of the work rather than hanging up forever on the opener.

Very true.

The problem I run into with fiction is that I often sit down to write w/o a story in mind. It's more like -- I've finally got some time I can set aside, I feel compelled to try my hand at this shit, so let me sit down and see where this goes. And for me that approach too often results in material that's thinly veiled autobiography -- me taking one of my true-to-life "greatest hit" stories and embellishing. But if I wait to write every time until I have a complete story bouncing around in my head, I'd only be sitting down to write once or twice a year... so maybe I need to play around with storyboarding or some other narrative-building methods.

When I occassionally go back to writing a movie or music review these days it's with some gratitude and relief, because the subject matter's been provided for me, and in almost every case I have some strong ideas about how I feel about the subject going into it.

• Options

Very true.

The problem I run into with fiction is that I often sit down to write w/o a story in mind. It's more like -- I've finally got some time I can set aside, I feel compelled to try my hand at this shit, so let me sit down and see where this goes. And for me that approach too often results in material that's thinly veiled autobiography -- me taking one of my true-to-life "greatest hit" stories and embellishing. But if I wait to write every time until I have a complete story bouncing around in my head, I'd only be sitting down to write once or twice a year... so maybe I need to play around with storyboarding or some other narrative-building methods.

When I occassionally go back to writing a movie or music review these days it's with some gratitude and relief, because the subject matter's been provided for me, and in almost every case I have some strong ideas about how I feel about the subject going into it.

You can also try thinking of a ending first, and then building towards it. A friend of mine who tried his hand at writing screenplays told me that a long time ago but to be honest I've never tried it. He had the same problem thogh, getting the opening down.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Take a time out from it for a few hours, or a day or two if a deadline is not around the corner. It's the motivation factor that can be a killer, and... I was going to say "it being a non-paying job can be a killer", because any of us who write and would like to continue writing know that with every paying job and opportunity, there's about twenty (if not thirty) non-paying ones. Yet I enjoy writing, I keep on doing it because I like it. Recognition, if that's what you want, comes later, and it's time and effort that will make it pay off in the way that you want.

So, take a break and clear your head a bit. In truth, it's a matter of pushing yourself during those blocks. Or pick up a nearby book or magazine and blindly place your finger on a word and then write a few paragraphs about it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Very true.

I was the same way with fiction--if I just sat down to write with no particular idea in mind, it typically didn't work. I really couldn't be constructive if I didn't already have a story to tell in mind, or at least a sketch of something. But for me, stories always came from cobbling together various ideas, pieces, fragments, whatever. I'd have all these half-formed ideas floating around, and eventually, some of them would click together, and I'd have a character and a basic plot in mind. From that point, I could sit down and write and actually make progress.

Basically, I found that I couldn't force it, and writing for no other reason than "I have free time, and I should write" didn't produce a lot of positive results. As hectic as things could get, I discovered that if I have a story to tell, I can find time to write it.

• If you have the luxury of writing at leisure without having to meet a deadline, then the cure is simple: walk away from it. The pressure one puts on oneself from forcing some sort of output is what causes it in the first place. At least in my own experience...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Find a muse.

I was the same way with fiction--if I just sat down to write with no particular idea in mind, it typically didn't work. I really couldn't be constructive if I didn't already have a story to tell in mind, or at least a sketch of something. But for me, stories always came from cobbling together various ideas, pieces, fragments, whatever. I'd have all these half-formed ideas floating around, and eventually, some of them would click together, and I'd have a character and a basic plot in mind. From that point, I could sit down and write and actually make progress.

Basically, I found that I couldn't force it, and writing for no other reason than "I have free time, and I should write" didn't produce a lot of positive results. As hectic as things could get, I discovered that if I have a story to tell, I can find time to write it.

That first graph really rings true for me. The 2nd I'm in 1/2 agreement. Usually if I force myself to write, at first I'm dropping skuds. But forcing myself to get back into the habit of writing can yield some long-term rewards... the first half of this year day-job work was just too hectic to spend any time writing; the second half is going to be much more chill, and I want to make the most of it.

Yet I enjoy writing, I keep on doing it because I like it. Recognition, if that's what you want, comes later, and it's time and effort that will make it pay off in the way that you want.[/b]

So, take a break and clear your head a bit. In truth, it's a matter of pushing yourself during those blocks. Or pick up a nearby book or magazine and blindly place your finger on a word and then write a few paragraphs about it.

That last sounds like a good exercise, I'll give it a try.

I do enjoy writing, once I can get into a groove. But doing the work to get into that frame of mind be grueling.

As for recogntion -- being a famous author was my dream as a kid, but I don't cling to too many delusions in that dpmnt any more. Really I just want to enjoy the process and feel good about the results... and extinguish the guilt that I feel when I don't write!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    As for recogntion -- being a famous author was my dream as a kid, but I don't cling to too many delusions in that dpmnt any more. Really I just want to enjoy the process and feel good about the results... and extinguish the guilt that I feel when I don't write!

I'm with you. It's not so much recognition for me, it's recognition for the work that I do. That is more appealing to me.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    didnt really read too many of the posts, just throwing my two cents in.

1.sketch out on paper what you got...a character, a thesis, a point you want to get across, a conclusion, a couple scenes. this will help you connect the dots and see whats missing

2.smoke a little weed (stress on little)and repeat the above exercise.

3.start writing bullshit, and froce yourelf to keep going and conjure up more bullshit. trey to make it related. eventually, by thinking abou trelated bullshit, your brain should start actually producing something less shit tinged

4. write in a note pad or on a computer with no internet. the net is a major distraction!!!!

good luck!!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Thoughts?

A week in the woods/forest alone/music & thoughts. It worked alot when I was heavy writing songs. You may have to tell the fam you're trying to find some inner growth/solution of some sort so they won't wig out when you take off.

Thanks for all the tips/tricks/encouragement/perspectives. They've been helping me get back in the zone.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    As mentioned in the recent book thread. Hemmingway memoirs from the 20s was given to me as a must read recently. On the first page he offers this advice on starting when you are just staring at a blank page, "Write the truest sentence you know."

This comes from a book with a starting sentence of, "Then there was the bad weather." He goes from this to amazing relatively quickly.

I thought long and hard about it. I used to do fiction most of the time and non-fiction as a vehicle, fund raiser, etc and now i do a lot more non-fiction (however small time it may be) and not much fiction...but my mind always thinks in a fictional/storytelling sense. Writing the truest sentence you know about your character, setting, time, goal can lead to some very cool places. I mean thinking of that advice in a story, chapter, parapgraph sense makes things very interesting. To me anyway.

As mentioned in the recent book thread. Hemmingway memoirs from the 20s was given to me as a must read recently. On the first page he offers this advice on starting when you are just staring at a blank page, "Write the truest sentence you know."

This comes from a book with a starting sentence of, "Then there was the bad weather." He goes from this to amazing relatively quickly.

I thought long and hard about it. I used to do fiction most of the time and non-fiction as a vehicle, fund raiser, etc and now i do a lot more non-fiction (however small time it may be) and not much fiction...but my mind always thinks in a fictional/storytelling sense. Writing the truest sentence you know about your character, setting, time, goal can lead to some very cool places. I mean thinking of that advice in a story, chapter, parapgraph sense makes things very interesting. To me anyway.

I definitely believe that a strong opening sentence can be crucial to getting somewhere with fiction and non-fiction alike.

But within a piece, I'm always debating whether to polish as I go or just plunge ahead and come back and refine it later. Generally, I think the second approach works better for me. If I get hung up on crafting the truest sentence I know on page 3, I may never get to page 4, let alone page 104.