Cinematic Orchestra

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Will I like this? They are playing tonight and a lot folks whose taste I enjoy really like them but their records don't do too much for me. Will it be better live?Please tell me.Thank You.

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Will I like this? They are playing tonight and a lot folks whose taste I enjoy really like them but their records don't do too much for me. Will it be better live?

Please tell me.

Thank You.

Never saw them live but I like the music they did for "man with a movie camera".

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yes! I saw them live several years ago in Chicago and it was well worth the price of admission.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I caught them live when they toured for Man With a Movie Camera, and enjoyed the show much more than their records. The girl who sang the Fontella Bass parts seemed to be suffering stagefright something terrible, but she did a good job in spite of it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Cool - thanks so much, I will go then. It is by the water and it is beautiful here today and I have a nice new dress...and Steve Reid is opening...ahhhhh summer nights!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    http://rapidshare.com/files/7434771/Cine...couver.rar.html

a good live set of theirs.....

I was a big fan of their first two albums, the last few though have been EHHHHHHH. I'll be there tonight, maybe I'll run into you.

If folks catch me early enough, I have a grip of pastries (apple turnovers, strudels, etc) I made to give away.

I'll be there tonight, maybe I'll run into you.

that would be nice - I'll be wearing green.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    Try and cop the name of the guy on keys. If it's John Ellis, I used to play the odd gig with him. Dude is talented. Ask him if he still has his Orange Maxi.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I'll be blocking someone's view taking pics w/ my big ass slr. Apologies to people behind me in advance.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Yeah I was thinking about heading down to the waterfront to check this show out...

An old friend and soon to be roomate is playing a show at Rancho Relaxo with some crazy Japanese band that he tells me I "have" to check out... so I think I'll end up there. Unfortunately both shows are running at almost the same time.

Yo Aser! You're just making pastries to give away??? That's some serious benevolence!! Major respect!!!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ps: catalist (a#@$ter) will be playing at the do right party after the cinematic show.

I made too much for this baking course I'm in. I gave away a bunch at solferino gelato cafe the other week, the office ladies were into it.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Who are these guys -- individually and collectively? I've never heard of them before. They usually compose + perform scores for silent films, but also do original music that's just "cinematic" in tone?

Also, which crazy Japanese band's playing? Might be able to vouch for them one way or another.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

Gonna be a great show... seen Cinematic Orchestra once before and I vaguely remember them being quite impressive... that's why I stay on a 3 drink limit for shows now... same thing happened last time I saw Amon Tobin... I remember the room shaking so violently I became sick... damn dancefloor Slayer remixes... bout all I remember though....

Regardless, free show on the lake on a beautiful day... Four Tet/Steve Reid... Cinematic Orchestra... some DJ sets following... not bad, n'est pas??

I'm actually more excited for next Saturday though.... same venue, same price... but damn!!! Dennis Coffey and Sa-Ra?!?!?

Who are these guys -- individually and collectively? I've never heard of them before. They usually compose + perform scores for silent films, but also do original music that's just "cinematic" in tone?

Been on Ninja Tune since '99... main songwriter being Mr. Swinscoe... combination of live work/sampling... I believe the only score they composed for a silent film was 'Man With a Movie Camera'... check the bio offa the Ninja site....

http://www.ninjatune.net/ninja/artist.php?id=2

Cool... I love Man w/ Movie Camera, although I'm pretty sure I've never seen it w/ their score (unless the KINO VHS had their score on it).

Cool... I love Man w/ Movie Camera, although I'm pretty sure I've never seen it w/ their score (unless the KINO VHS had their score on it).

I don't believe a version like this exists...

Me and some friends just played it on decks while we watched a rip... only problem was pausing to flip the vinyl...

Tried this with Dark Side and Oz back in high school... IMO it didn't work at all... think they were runnin this at Bloor Cinema for awhile and that's what spawned the idea...

I was at a party where they played Chain Reaction type records to Tetsuo: The Iron Man and it was scary as all get out. I guess it could have been the hydro. Anyway, the never ending building of tension was very effective.

I was at a party where they played Chain Reaction type records to Tetsuo: The Iron Man and it was scary as all get out. I guess it could have been the hydro. Anyway, the never ending building of tension was very effective.

I can't even imagine how the "cock-drill" scene would have played out...

I remember that movie as one long "cock-drill" scene...

Like I said, scary as all get out.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts

There was a limited region 2 DVD version that came out, though that may have been a promo item.

There was a limited region 2 DVD version that came out, though that may have been a promo item.

I must be seriously

Gonna try and hunt it down... Being a region 2 dvd I would assume this was only released thru the Ninja UK offices... got family at the Montreal office... maybe it's time to get some strings pulled???

ALL-REGION PLAYERS ARE ESSENTIAL!!! I caved after waiting an eon for a widescreen release of 'Lost Highway'...

Seems to be about the only thing that really stuck with me from that movie...

This could very well be the definitive example of style over substance...

I remember reading comparisons to "Eraserhead" & "Videodrome" before seeing it and the only striking similarities I could see was the industrial imagery & nightmarish tone (black&white stock?) of the former and metal/flesh mutations of the latter... IMO more shock then anything and lacking the wealth of ideas and vision of these far superior so-called precursors...

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

Also, which crazy Japanese band's playing? Might be able to vouch for them one way or another.

The band is called Frog Pilot. I have checked out their website and now I am less thrilled to go see them tonight.

www.frogpilot.com

Now I'm pissed I'm not going to see Cinematic Orchestra.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    So I went, and cinematic orchestra put on a pretty boring show last night...

I liked it better than I thought I would. It was a perfect show for a summer night by the lakeside, whether they can deepen it and smoke in a club is another thing. The drummer was great and they referenced the best of straight ahead jazz with a bit of Ramp thrown in.

FourTet and Steve Reid was disappointing and downright frustrating at points for me. You have this great drummer and this knob twiddler who kept getting in the way with his noisy wanky sounds. There were points when Reid was obviously trying to pay along with what FourTet was doing, but there was no eye-contact between them to make that work. It was like they were working against each other as opposed to with each other. At the end, when Four Tet was doing more soundscape stuff, it worked better. An hour of Reid on his own would have been better imo.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Everyone I've known who's seen Four Tet live has been disappointed. For the same reason you just stated: Too much twiddling. I know that's basically what the dude is known for, but he should learn to excerise a little restraint. Less is more. He has some decent songs that are pretty minimal but, from what I've heard, he's always going apeshit on his laptop at the live gigs.

I saw a free Black Crows concert on Friday, and that's all you really need to know about that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Will I like this? They are playing tonight and a lot folks whose taste I enjoy really like them but their records don't do too much for me. Will it be better live?

Please tell me.

Thank You.

I caught them at The Big Chill festival over here a few years back. There were a few great moments amongst quite a lot of shit that didn't really come off, like a cover of Theme de Yoyo. On the whole, it was OK. I wouldn't drop everything to see them again, although I imagine that they could be pretty impressive on the right night in front of the right crowd.

Please tell me.

Thank You.

I caught them at The Big Chill festival over here a few years back. There were a few great moments amongst quite a lot of shit that didn't really come off, like a cover of Theme de Yoyo. On the whole, it was OK. I wouldn't drop everything to see them again, although I imagine that they could be pretty impressive on the right night in front of the right crowd.

Very much so.

It was free and the venue draws a lot of tourists and families, so it was nice to see kids with their parents who just happened to wander by sit down for an open show - that aspect contributed to the niceness for me. I was at the very back and had to deal with a lot of chitter chatter now and then and the band still held my interest. To be honest, they seem like they could be a few degrees away from easy-listening if not for the minor keys and the bursts of free jazz.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

Please tell me.

Thank You.

Very much so.

It was free and the venue draws a lot of tourists and families, so it was nice to see kids with their parents who just happened to wander by sit down for an open show - that aspect contributed to the niceness for me. I was at the very back and had to deal with a lot of chitter chatter now and then and the band still held my interest. To be honest, they seem like they could be a few degrees away from easy-listening if not for the minor keys and the bursts of free jazz.

Yeah, that was the problem I had with them for a lot of the time. Nothing bad about the playing, but it never really caught fire.

nice to see kids with their parents who just happened to wander by sit down for an open show - that aspect contributed to the niceness for me.

This is what has always made these Harbourfront shows for me... the best example of this being when Quantic Soul Orchestra played... they got the whole crowd goin including alot of people who I'm sure weren't familiar with the music before that night... kids were hiked up on their pops shoulders clapping to the beat... it just enhanced the experience so much... truly something special...

To be honest, they seem like they could be a few degrees away from easy-listening if not for the minor keys and the bursts of free jazz.

IMO, the easy-listening and free jazz elements seemed both brought out by the sax player... at times when he tried to 'play it straight' came off like Kenny G circa '87... but then all of sudden would burst out into avant tangents... weakest aspect of the band, IMO...

solid show/music + terrific venue (FREE!) + good crowd = one beautiful night!